Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sochi 2014 media rights

Custom Title

Sochi 2014 media rights

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think Eurosport have the rights to air the Olympics...

edit: oh, I guess they do, after all. I stand corrected. Very interesting. Guess I will stick with them for the figure skating, too. I could have sworn the Dutch commentators said they weren't gonna show the Olympics...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Mind you, if Eurosport are showing the coverage in full, I think I will stick with them for the sports I normally watch. I prefer their commentators to the BBC's!

When it comes to the BBC's figure skating team, I like Sue Barker (for a tennis player, she sure knows a lot about figure skating!), but I am not keen on Robin Cousins. On the other hand, I love Eurosport's team of Simon, Chris and Nicky.
    I totally agree Eurosport > BBC.

I wouldn't say Sue/Robin BBC commentary is bad, but it's pretty "blah" compared to Simon/Nicky/Chris on Eurosport.

However, BBC streams might have schedules that they stick to... which cannot always be said of Eurosport (understatement...)

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    WHOA.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...games-21246806

"Figure Skating to Air Live on TV From Sochi Games"

NBCSN is going to air all skating live, with highlights in primetime.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Re NBCOlympics.com live streaming (not to be confused with NBCSN):

Access to Sochi 2014 live streaming will require validation (same as for London 2012), as previously announced.

FAQ and video explanation from Ryan Seacrest here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help (the video part is 2:21 in length)

Excerpt of the text FAQ:
    What do I need to watch video on NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra?
    You must be a subscriber to a TV provider video package that includes specific NBCU networks (varies by provider). You will also need to provide your online credentials during the verification process.

Dec 16 press release -- on the first day that customers were able to complete the verification process -- includes instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    NBCSN is going to air all skating live, with highlights in primetime.
    Cross-posting from the thread in The Edge:

One little caveat re NBCSN:
    NBCSN will not be showing the first day of team skating competition (which takes place the day before the opening ceremony).
    So team/pairs SP and team/men's SP will not be shown.
    Official NBC press release:

Following is a breakdown of NBCSN’s figure skating coverage (from the press release):

Date Time (ET) Event/Program
    Sat., Feb. 8 9:30 a.m. Team Event: Ice Dancing Short, Ladies’ Short, Pairs’ Free
    Sun., Feb. 9 10 a.m. Team Event: Men’s Free, Ice Dancing Free, Ladies’ Free
    Tues., Feb. 11 10 a.m. Pairs Short
    Wed., Feb. 12 10:45 a.m. Pairs Free
    Thurs., Feb. 13 10 a.m. Men’s Short
    Fri., Feb. 14 10 a.m. Men’s Free
    Sun., Feb. 16 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Short
    Mon., Feb. 17 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Free
    Wed., Feb. 19 10 a.m. Ladies’ Short
    Thurs., Feb. 20 10 a.m. Ladies’ Free

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    I totally agree Eurosport > BBC.

I wouldn't say Sue/Robin BBC commentary is bad, but it's pretty "blah" compared to Simon/Nicky/Chris on Eurosport.

However, BBC streams might have schedules that they stick to... which cannot always be said of Eurosport (understatement...)
    I don't know if anybody picked up on it during the last minutes of the Oberstdorf Gala coverage last night, but Simon revealed that Eurosport will be covering the Europeans, 4 Continents and Worlds... but NOT THE OLYMPICS!!!!

So, we're going to have to make do with Sue and Robin.

I agree that they are not "bad" - at least they know what they're talking about! But, there's not the same excitement or enthusiasm that we get from the Eurosport boys (and girl, if Joanne Conway does become a regular feature).

But, at least we have the BBC to watch on. It's the people in European countries that are not getting Olympic coverage from their national broadcasters that I feel sorry for. Whereas they would have had Eurosport to fall back on in the past, they won't have that luxury this year.

CaroLiza_fan

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    It's the people in European countries that are not getting Olympic coverage from their national broadcasters that I feel sorry for. Whereas they would have had Eurosport to fall back on in the past, they won't have that luxury this year.

CaroLiza_fan
    I feel sorry for me as well! I'm sure there will be some figure skating shown, but I'm really crossing my fingers for someone to upload each and every single skater on youtube shortly!
    Yes, you! I'm talking to you! (I mean everybody who reads this, not specifically CaroLiza_fan!)

Custom Title
    Ah, so I had heard right after all last month when the Dutch commentators said Eurosport wasn't gonna air Sochi, only 'the road to Sochi'. It was confusing, but now it says so on the website, as well.

Well, I fully expect simultaneous livestreams of all the figure skating via the NOS (the Dutch version of the BBC), but sadly those are usually geoblocked outside Holland.

One of my motorbike racing friends posted this link to their Facebook profile.

http://sahafe.com/kis-olimpiyatlarin...damga-vuracak/

Could somebody who speaks better Turkish than Google please tell me what it is about?

From the Google translation, I am not sure whether TRT will be showing any figure skating, or if it is just the Ladies they are not showing, or what.

So, could somebody clear up the confusion?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

One of my motorbike racing friends posted this link to their Facebook profile.

http://sahafe.com/kis-olimpiyatlarin...damga-vuracak/

Could somebody who speaks better Turkish than Google please tell me what it is about?

From the Google translation, I am not sure whether TRT will be showing any figure skating, or if it is just the Ladies they are not showing, or what.

So, could somebody clear up the confusion?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan
    Just wanted to let you know that I asked my friend what the story was about, and when she got back to me tonight, it confirmed what I suspected.

TRT are not showing the Ladies category, and the reason given was because of "clothes sensitivity".

In other words, they are not showing the Ladies the costumes are too skimpy!

Suffice to say, it has not gone down very well with the public.

Turkey never had any problem with showing the Ladies category when Tuğba Karademir was competing. But, there again, Turkey did not have an ultra-conservative government then.

It makes you wonder what they think about all these tourists that visit Turkey every year and wear hardly anything...

CaroLiza_fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2