Sochi 2014 media rights | Golden Skate

Sochi 2014 media rights

ice coverage

Record Breaker
BTW, the head of the Sochi Organizing Committee, Dmitry Chernyshenko @DChernyshenko, sent a series of tweets and photos on July 29 documenting his visit to the London Olympics International Broadcasting Center. He observed firsthand the magnitude of Olympic broadcast operations.

ETA:
He also visited the daily broadcasters' briefing.
All the homework that he is doing in London should help the Sochi Games succeed.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought I had heard it was NBC for 2016 summer and 2018 winter, but I'm sorry to hear that I was right.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Regarding US rights for Sochi and beyond:
NBC won the bidding against ESPN and against Fox Sports.
Because I am not a cable subscriber, my preference was for NBC.
BTW: "IOC TV rights negotiator Richard Carrion said NBC would pay $775 million for Sochi, $1.226 billion for Rio, $963 million for the 2018 Winter Games and $1.418 billion for the 2020 Summer Olympics." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-06-08-1972975086_x.htm

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC: 1/Livestream 2/Primetime team event

NBC TO BEGIN PRIMETIME COVERAGE OF 2014 WINTER OLYMPICS ONE DAY PRIOR TO OPENING CEREMONY
Competition from Sochi, Russia Begins on Thursday, February 6; Opening Ceremony Takes Place on Friday, February 7

Team figure skating and men’s and women’s slopestyle snowboarding, which are new Olympic events, along with women’s freestyle moguls, begin the day before the Opening Ceremony, and will be featured during NBC’s primetime coverage on Thursday, February 6, 2014.

Full press release (from Tuesday, February 5, 2013) at:

ETA:
Lindsay Hogan ‏@lindsayhogan12
.@NBCOlympics will stream all #Sochi2014 #Olympic events LIVE - first time for winter Olympics after successful run in London
9:48 AM - 5 Feb 13​

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I liked what they did in for the 2010 games and posted the entire footge for most of the events. I doubt it will happen this time for the Sochi Games though and it's a real shame.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"IOC TV rights negotiator Richard Carrion said NBC would pay $775 million for Sochi ..." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-06-08-1972975086_x.htm

NBCU Says It's Sold a Record $800M in Winter Olympics Ads
Milestone Amount Comes With Fewer Advertisers

$800 million and counting ...

Hat tip to @KellyWhiteside of USA Today.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Do many of you watch the local TV broadcast´s?

I don't know, besides the BBC that did a wonderful job at London 2012 (about 24 live channels for every type of competition) - I usually end up at the internet and the official streaming without commentary as I can choose what to watch there, like at the BBC during London 2012.

If I would watch our local TV stations then I have tons of interviews and replays, but almost no live action besides Biathlon or Skiing. Stuff like the female hockey tournament would never appear in our local TV Channels, just like Figure Skating (yes! Can you believe that?)

So I really hope that they still offer the Streams in the internet at Sochi, else I will be pretty much lost and need to join you at the CBC broadcast, if they offer streaming again like at worlds this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Channel Ten is broadcasting the Games in Australia. I haven't heard any definite plans yet but they surely can't do a worse job than Channel Nine made of the Summer Games last year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has Tara Lipinski been officially announced as part of NBC's on-air team??

In answer to my own question re Lipinski from earlier this month, cross-posting today's press release from The Edge thread re Johnny Weir.

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski & Tanith Belbin to join NBC Olympics in Sochi

Subtitles:
- Weir & Lipinski to Serve as Analysts for NBC Olympics’ Multi-Platform Figure Skating Coverage
- Belbin to Report for NBC Olympics’ Sports Desk & The Olympic Zone
- Weir & Lipinski Will Also Serve as Figure Skating Analysts This Sunday at 4 pm ET on NBC’s Skate Canada Coverage

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
After the Grand Prix events, I find Tara okay, but I'm not crazy about Johnny. I'd still rather have commentating veterans though for the Olympics. It just doesn't feel right listening to newcomers at the biggest event.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Do many of you watch the local TV broadcast´s?

I don't know, besides the BBC that did a wonderful job at London 2012 (about 24 live channels for every type of competition) - I usually end up at the internet and the official streaming without commentary as I can choose what to watch there, like at the BBC during London 2012.

If I would watch our local TV stations then I have tons of interviews and replays, but almost no live action besides Biathlon or Skiing. Stuff like the female hockey tournament would never appear in our local TV Channels, just like Figure Skating (yes! Can you believe that?)

So I really hope that they still offer the Streams in the internet at Sochi, else I will be pretty much lost and need to join you at the CBC broadcast, if they offer streaming again like at worlds this year.

The BBC actually made an announcement a few days ago about what they are planning for Sochi.

Here is the official announcement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/winter_olympics_2014.html

And here is the story on the BBC Sport website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/25213838

It's not quite the 24 streams they had for the 2012 Summer games, but given that the BBC don't normally cover Wintersports, I am impressed that they are having 6 livestreams. After all, they could have just cut it all down and tried to squeeze everything into the regular channels (like they do with most other sports events they show!)

Mind you, if Eurosport are showing the coverage in full, I think I will stick with them for the sports I normally watch. I prefer their commentators to the BBC's! ;) :biggrin:

When it comes to the BBC's figure skating team, I like Sue Barker (for a tennis player, she sure knows a lot about figure skating!), but I am not keen on Robin Cousins. On the other hand, I love Eurosport's team of Simon, Chris and Nicky.

As for the ski jumping, I am confused as to why the BBC will be using Patrick Winterton for their coverage of the Nordic skiing, when he is the regular commentator on Eurosport...

But, I suppose Eurosport have David Goldstrom and Mike Dixon, so they can let the BBC borrow an experienced commentator like Patrick for a few weeks! ;)

At the end of the day, I guess we will only find out when the Games start which network will provide the best coverage. But, if their coverage is full enough, I reckon it'll be Eurosport!

After all, Eurosport covers Wintersports every year! ;) :rock: The BBC is only interested every 4 years...

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think Eurosport have the rights to air the Olympics...

edit: oh, I guess they do, after all. I stand corrected. Very interesting. Guess I will stick with them for the figure skating, too. I could have sworn the Dutch commentators said they weren't gonna show the Olympics...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mind you, if Eurosport are showing the coverage in full, I think I will stick with them for the sports I normally watch. I prefer their commentators to the BBC's! ;) :biggrin:

When it comes to the BBC's figure skating team, I like Sue Barker (for a tennis player, she sure knows a lot about figure skating!), but I am not keen on Robin Cousins. On the other hand, I love Eurosport's team of Simon, Chris and Nicky.
I totally agree Eurosport > BBC.

I wouldn't say Sue/Robin BBC commentary is bad, but it's pretty "blah" compared to Simon/Nicky/Chris on Eurosport.

However, BBC streams might have schedules that they stick to... which cannot always be said of Eurosport (understatement...)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re NBCOlympics.com live streaming (not to be confused with NBCSN):

Access to Sochi 2014 live streaming will require validation (same as for London 2012), as previously announced.

FAQ and video explanation from Ryan Seacrest here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help (the video part is 2:21 in length)​

Excerpt of the text FAQ:
What do I need to watch video on NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra?
You must be a subscriber to a TV provider video package that includes specific NBCU networks (varies by provider). You will also need to provide your online credentials during the verification process.​

Dec 16 press release -- on the first day that customers were able to complete the verification process -- includes instructions:

NBCSN is going to air all skating live, with highlights in primetime.

Cross-posting from the thread in The Edge:

One little caveat re NBCSN:
NBCSN will not be showing the first day of team skating competition (which takes place the day before the opening ceremony).
So team/pairs SP and team/men's SP will not be shown.
Official NBC press release:

Following is a breakdown of NBCSN’s figure skating coverage (from the press release):

Date Time (ET) Event/Program
Sat., Feb. 8 9:30 a.m. Team Event: Ice Dancing Short, Ladies’ Short, Pairs’ Free
Sun., Feb. 9 10 a.m. Team Event: Men’s Free, Ice Dancing Free, Ladies’ Free
Tues., Feb. 11 10 a.m. Pairs Short
Wed., Feb. 12 10:45 a.m. Pairs Free
Thurs., Feb. 13 10 a.m. Men’s Short
Fri., Feb. 14 10 a.m. Men’s Free
Sun., Feb. 16 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Short
Mon., Feb. 17 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Free
Wed., Feb. 19 10 a.m. Ladies’ Short
Thurs., Feb. 20 10 a.m. Ladies’ Free​

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I totally agree Eurosport > BBC.

I wouldn't say Sue/Robin BBC commentary is bad, but it's pretty "blah" compared to Simon/Nicky/Chris on Eurosport.

However, BBC streams might have schedules that they stick to... which cannot always be said of Eurosport (understatement...)

I don't know if anybody picked up on it during the last minutes of the Oberstdorf Gala coverage last night, but Simon revealed that Eurosport will be covering the Europeans, 4 Continents and Worlds... but NOT THE OLYMPICS!!!! :cry:

So, we're going to have to make do with Sue and Robin.

I agree that they are not "bad" - at least they know what they're talking about! ;) But, there's not the same excitement or enthusiasm that we get from the Eurosport boys (and girl, if Joanne Conway does become a regular feature).

But, at least we have the BBC to watch on. It's the people in European countries that are not getting Olympic coverage from their national broadcasters that I feel sorry for. Whereas they would have had Eurosport to fall back on in the past, they won't have that luxury this year. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan