Thread: Sochi team competition for ice skaters

Hybrid View

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar

Sochi team competition for ice skaters

London 2012 gymnastics fever has become a little opportunity to spread awareness of the Sochi team competition for ice skaters. Two separate observations:

- A young American skater (who has competed internationally with good results) tweeted, "I'm thinkin' we need an Olympic team event for skating." A skating website quickly replied to inform her of the Sochi team competition.

- And when a young skating enthusiast (whose name I don't recognize) sent a tweet wishing for a team event, USFSA immediately assured her that Sochi will have one.

I feel like figure skating doesn't lend itself easily to a team competition. I'm interested to see how it all plays out in 2014. Right now, it doesn't even seem like the ISU is sure how it's all going to work.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It does, at least as well as gymnastics. There are even several ways to do it.

But the real team event would be synchronized skating, which really should be in the Winter Olympics IMO.

I wonder how the Federations will see this. The talks about the Russian Fed asking for 2 spots at Sochi really got me thinking. If they're really stuck with only one spot, it means Plu needs to skate in both the team event and the men's singles from the viewpoint atm. However, the rules really aren't clear at the moment (if there are even any) if it's going to be the same as gymnastics. 1 per discipline makes up the team but does their skater for each discipline have to be from their qualifying pool for singles/pairs events? Like for example, even if Russia only has 1 spot for Men's Singles, can they choose their #2 Russian man to skate for the team event? This gives other skaters more opportunities, kind of like an honorary prize.

I'm sure Federations still value the singles/pairs competition higher atm so I'm afraid they might not want to send their top skater to exhaust their energy in this new field yet either. For a country like Japan where it's so tight, having their #1 man skate (Dai/Yuzuru/Kozuka) for the team event before their singles event is really a disadvantage for said #1 skater because the #2 & 3 men will have all this energy for the singles event that they haven't exerted yet.

I really hope this team event allows wiggle room to "qualify" one more skater in each discipline just to give others more opportunities and to level the playing field for their own events especially since it's going to be held first from what I read.

Interesting to see what this will develop into.

Custom Title
    All plushenkos careful training and pacing of himself could be totally undone by having to do both team and singles. Might be better to ask the team event moved after the singles pairs dance

Seems like there already rules for the team event
    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil...ec2011_web.pdf

As of right now, Countries with only 1 qualifier for a discipline must enter that skater into the team event. No exceptions. Countries with 2 or 3 skaters in a discipline gotta have them battle it out the short program portion of the team event the day before or something (what..? it's both now?)

So the Federations don't really have any control for who to send. I don't know how I feel about this team event now that the rules are like this and it's held before the Singles/Pairs competition. It should really be the event to close it off before the gala. This is going to hurt the Russians and Japan the most I believe with all 3 men skaters a contender for the OGM with each other.

I wish we can petition against having this event first somewhere...