Thread: Time-stamping problem when posting

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar

Time-stamping problem when posting

I just added post #3 to Indy Challenge thread -- meaning that I added it today, Fri Aug 3, around 3 pm ET -- but time-stamp on the post says Jul 31.

How do I fix this problem?

The clock on my computer's taskbar is showing the correct date and time.

Thanks for any help.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The time stamp is the website's time, not the poster's time.

Our time is Eastern Daylight Time, and that's what the time stamp should reflect.

The website has a default time so that posts are put in the correct order.

I'll check your post and see what happened.

What happened is that you edited a post today. You created the post on 7/31. The timestamp is the original 7/31 date, but the following is at the bottom of the post:

Last edited by golden411; Today at 03:19 PM.
    Today being 8/3/2012
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks for your response, Doris - but in fact I created the post today, Aug 3. (And yes, I also edited the post after I created it today.)
    That's why the time-stamp of Jul 31 is so strange -- and still puzzles me.

The post is all about results from the Indy Challenge, which started only today.

Appreciate your help with trying to solve this mystery!
    Last edited by golden411; 08-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Hi Golden,

Your post contains the following note:

Last edited by golden411; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.
    Are you certain that you didn't start the post on 31 Jul and then edit it? I just did a test and everything seems to be working fine. Please try posting a "test" in the "Test" forum to check your times.

Hi, gsk8:

Although I appreciate the replies from you and Doris, I am absolutely 100% certain that I did not start the post on Jul 31. Again, the content of the post is nothing but yesterday's results at the Indy Challenge (Lynn Rutherford's tweets from yesterday, Aug 3). Copying and pasting her Aug 3 tweets on Jul 31 would have required an incredibly prescient magic crystal ball that does not exist on this earth . [FYI, Rutherford's Twitter feed is here: http://twitter.com/lynnrutherford.]

I did post quite a few other things yesterday in threads other than the Indy Challenge -- and as far as I know, it was only my Indy Challenge post that received the Jul 31 time-stamp. (I did not go back to double-check systematically, but at least I can say that I had not noticed that any other posts of mine from yesterday in other threads were incorrectly time-stamped.)
    Per your suggestion, I did post a test msg a few min. ago and the time-stamp was perfectly accurate.

So I guess all's well that ends well. Seems that my Indy Challenge post was a bizarre aberration. I'm sure that you and Doris have better things to do than spend more time continuing to investigate this little mystery.

Lest you wonder, I assure you that I am very familiar with the normal time-stamping process when a post is edited: that the post retains its original time-stamp at the top, and the additional time-stamp for the edit gets added to the bottom. (I often go back and edit my posts -- typically on the same day -- esp. because I hate to leave any of my typos or grammar mistakes in place.)
    But I assure you also that something weird really did happen with that one Indy Challenge post. Although the time-stamping indicates otherwise (that's the whole issue), my original posting and my editing both took place yesterday.

I believe that this glitch was worth bringing to your attention, but it is hardly the end of the world. Thanks again for getting back to me!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    We'll have to keep an eye out for this. Thanks for telling us about it!

Doris P