Lambiel Speaks | Golden Skate

Lambiel Speaks

janetfan

Match Penalty
I could not agree more with what Lambiel is saying here:

"Judging is done element by element, component by component, instead of based on the program as a whole.

Creativity, personality and the "je ne sais quoi" that has made skaters into legends cannot be analyzed objectively and, thus, are not properly rewarded. However, the system is being refined every year, and while it can never be perfect, it surely is improving. In my opinion, there should be more elements without levels: for instance, a spin."

I know his words refute the "CoP bible" but they feel true to me....... and are a good explanation for skatings's diminishing popularity in No. America and most of Europe.

If skating is doing well in another part of the world it is mostly because it is still new there and results rather than creativity are what draw in a wide majority of the fans.

Hopefully the day of the robotic Cop skater is coming to an end and the sport will begin to regain it's fans based on creative and even legendary performances based not just on points and technique but incredible and memorable style.

emdee

Final Flight
As long as its a 'sport' the marks should be awarded on points and techinique. Incredible and memorable style? that should be a component in the marking but not the whole and sole.