Track and Field | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Track and Field

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Despite Jesse Owens remarkable achievements, 32 years later, Tommie Smith and John Carlos were banned for their famous black power salute (and less notoriously, the second place athlete, Peter Norman from Australia, was left of the 1972 Olympic team due to his wearing a pro-Civil rights badge). We've just had our first black all around gymnast win gold in Gabby Douglas (Dominique Dawes became the first black female to win a gold medal in Gymnastics, and she with Betty Okino won bronze in 1992, becoming the first African American ladies to do so)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Despite Jesse Owens remarkable achievements, 32 years later, Tommie Smith and John Carlos were banned for their famous black power salute (and less notoriously, the second place athlete, Peter Norman from Australia, was left of the 1972 Olympic team due to his wearing a pro-Civil rights badge). We've just had our first black all around gymnast win gold in Gabby Douglas (Dominique Dawes became the first black female to win a gold medal in Gymnastics, and she with Betty Okino won bronze in 1992, becoming the first African American ladies to do so)

Yes.....but not sure what your point is here. Jesse, who dominated his races much more so than Bolt or most other champions was a pioneer. The fact is that back in 1936, against the wishes of Goebels and Hitler he was happy to even be allowed to run says alot about the times.

A compromise was reached and the black American athletes were allowed to compete as long as USA removed a couple of great Jewish spriters from the track team.

You seem to be saying something that has little or no historical connection. ???
Jesse wasn't protesting anything.......he was just glad for the chance to compete in Nazi Germany.

The '68 protests which happened in my senior year of high school and which I remember very well....and supported....had absolutely NOTHING to do with sports in USA. In fact it was a much more important and closer if not nearly as violent or far reaching as the "cultural revolution" in China.

Please note this happened about a half century ago.......

I would think you would understand that even if it happened before you were born. People can read about history, no?

eta: For someone so smart...I wish you and a few others would read up about Jesse Owens before finding fault with him.

After the Olympics Avery Brundige (Head of USOC) forced Jesse to compete for "free" in meets all over Europe to help raise money for the US Olympic team. Jesse had a wife and kids and had to leave to help his family get by. His reward was what we call today the "death penalty".

Yes, for leaving Brundige banned him from the AAU meets which meant he could no longer compete in any races in USA.
Trust me, read about him IP....it is an amazing story.....

Last edited:
From everything I hear about Brundage, he was a snake; unfortunately, he also had virtually limitless power. He was still running the show when Tommie Smith and John Carlos made their Olympic gestures on the podium.

Edit:

Kirani James has apparently won the men's 400 meters, a first medal of any kind for Grenada. The top must be coming off the island right about now from the celebration. He sounds like a wonderful sportsman. He's the one who exchanged name bibs with Oscar Pistorius after Pistorius missed the semifinal. A man of character!

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Allyson Felix ran like a gazelle in 200 m semi finals. She is a sentimental favorite of mine :love:

Sally Pearson Australia, her first 100 m hurdles olympic gold(in heavy rain) :yay:

Yes, Snowflake. They just showed Sally Pearson on American TV. Yippee! Go, Oz.

And I was so taken with the charming sportsmanship of the top three, the Australian and the two Americans, Harper and Wells. Embraces all around, and big smiles from Harper and Wells. And it wasn't an easy situation, because the top two runners seemed to finish in a dead heat, and they had to wait (in the rain!) for the verdict. Somehow everyone managed to rejoice in the outcome.

Somewhat OT, take a look at the results of the 200m race from the 1936 Olympics. The silver medalist behind Jesse Owens is Jackie Robinson's older brother Mack, himself an accomplished athlete, though obviously not as high profile as either Owens or his younger brother.

What I'm curious about is when did sports in other countries become more integrated. I am of course familiar with Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby in baseball, but what about other sports in other countries?

Buttercup, I'm not sure I have an answer to your question, and it's a really interesting one. I hope other people weigh in. I was conscious of very few muticultural athletes in Europe until the 1980s, I think. Could I be misremembering? Thanks to Budd Greenspan's wonderful documentaries of the Olympics on TV, I do remember distance runner Alain Mimoun of France, who was born in Algeria. I just looked him up, and he ran in 1948 through 1956. Ironically, the countries who had overseas empires were the ones who had the first multi-ethnic Olympic teams, I think--France and England. So the greatest imperialist powers were the most progressive...go figure! I can't remember the first non-Caucasian British competitor. Daley Thompson, the decathlete, is the first that comes to mind, but I have to be forgetting something.

Countries such as Brazil and Cuba, of course, were multi-ethnic all along. Countries such as Malaysia and the old Soviet Union were also always multi-ethnic, though in different configurations: Chinese and Malay in Malaysia, Tatar and even North Korean (Nelli Kim) for the U.S.S.R.

Nowadays, there's a lot more border-crossing than there used to be. This is what gives us Merlene Ottey, the great Jamaican runner, now competing for Slovenia.

Who am I forgetting?

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I always cried when seeing the Jesse Owens bios as a child. There he was the greatest athlete of his time, and he couldn't make a living. Fast forward to Gabby. If she gets shep goldberg, she should make millions this year. That is why she needs a PR person as she is just a kid still, outspoken and honest in her thoughts. Telling media what her real dad is like will hurt her image and sounds like the cultural stereotype white middle class still find abhorrent. Gabby deserves, having come so far with doors opening to walk through them. She need only look to how the the women who have AA gym. medals handled themselves.

I expect the team will tour and 5 stars will emerge. Kyla ?Ross has my curiosity. I know nothing about her. Jordyn has been so brave. I hope she gets some endorsements if possible. Really interesting thread. How do you all remember athletes from the 30's? I was shocked to hear about Truman before his big change toward the black community.

I have seen a bit of track. The people have been inspiring and most have an attitude of gratitude to be there.

Hearing about Truman (remember, he came from Missouri, which was a border state during the Civil War and allowed slavery) and how he changed is a reminder that it's not where you start, it's where you finish, and that some people can transcend the mindset of their upbringing. Truman was one of those unusual politicians, much like Gerald Ford, who was kind of kicked upstairs, had his position unexpectedly thrust upon him, and somehow realized that he no longer represented just his small corner of America. He represented everyone.

Like you, I fervently hope Gabby is protected from bad judgments (hers and others') and from people who want to take advantage of her, and that she can attain a stable life for her and her family.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heyas, been a while :)

Just want to share this clip of my Olympic Experience recorded last Sunday from my iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TweaNn1JOnQ

I am going to steal a quote from Sandra Bezic "This is one of the most amazing Olympic performances I have ever seen. I feel so privileged to have witnessed this" :biggrin:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Allyson Felix ran like a gazelle in 200 m semi finals. She is a sentimental favorite of mine :love:

Allyson is my sentimental favorite, too! :yay:
Am also interested in Men's 200m semi-finals. But I don't think I can get up at 4am again...:unsure: Lack of sleep every night gradually kills me...I hate the Olympics in Europe for that matter.
So, snowflake, please cheer for Allyson for me! :yes:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
And she won :party2: 21.88 finally a gold medal, I'm so happy for her. No medal for Campell-Brown. Silver Fraser-Pryce, bronze Jeter.

Lots of medals for USA. Is it true that track&field is a every 4th year sport in US? I can't believe that with so many stars. Over here t&f is big with Euros and Worlds, indoors and outdoors and Diamonds league every year.

Now another gold medal for US: Brittney Reese 7.12

And she won :party2: 21.88 finally a gold medal, I'm so happy for her. No medal for Campell-Brown. Silver Fraser-Pryce, bronze Jeter.

Lots of medals for USA. Is it true that track&field is a every 4th year sport in US? I can't believe that with so many stars. Over here t&f is big with Euros and Worlds, indoors and outdoors and Diamonds league every year.

Now another gold medal for US: Brittney Reese 7.12

Yippee, yippee, yippee for all of them! I do love Fraser-Pryce as well, so I'm thrilled she won another medal. She was blazingly fast in her heat that they showed last night. I can't wait to see this race.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You were there? You lucky duck! Thanks for sharing.

Yup yup yup. Very lucky indeed. Consider 1.3 million applied for Men's 100 m final for the 80,00 capacity stadium (not all available to the public), and we managed to get 4. When I think there were 2 billion people who watched the race live around the world (except the Americans strangely), we felt pretty special about the being there and made sure we made the biggest and loudest cheers possible for the world's fastest men & women. However, for me (like many perhaps), the whole evening was really just about whether Usain Bolt can rise to the occasion and to do what he is born to do. It was a very strong field, where everyone is ALL capable of winning.

Truly an unforgettable night, the world rejoiced as the history is made. How lucky am I to say 'I was there when it happened'.

Thanks os168, :cool: Who won? :laugh:

The fastest of course :p

http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/os168_photo/London Olympics 2012/?albumview=slideshow

It was such fun to watch.

I think it's true that a lot of people don't pay attention to track and field in the U.S., which is a pity. It's always a delightful part of the Olympic experience for me, and I wish more of it were televised. We do have some big events through the year, such as the Millrose Games, and there are centers of activity such as Eugene, Oregon. One that never fails to amaze me is the 110-meter hurdles. You watch a race, and it's almost like those fast-action silent movies--how do the athletes' legs move that quickly between the hurdles?! It was so amazing to see them dart around the track last night.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I have just checked the results of Men's 4x400m Relay (Round1). only to find out that South Africa did not finish...:eek:
What happened to South Africa? I still have a mixed feeling on Oscar Pistorius. But that feeling aside, I admit that I kind of look forward to seeing him at the relay final. :no:

deedee1

Record Breaker
It says South Africa and Kenya had a collision. Then Kenya did continue but S Africa could not. Idk where it happened though...:no:

When I watched Round 2 live, I realized that in 4x400m relay, there is a point of the second runner's turn where they become 'lane-free'. It was so scary just to see it! :eek: And my guess is that was where this collision happened, maybe? Hope no one was hurt by the collision.