Synchronized Swimming | Golden Skate

Synchronized Swimming

Yeah, I remember when they gave a big description of it in an earlier Olympics. The control even just an individual competitor has to have to do those moves, and then they have to match exactly another swimmer or several swimmers....and be under the water upside down for most of the time while doing it.

By the way, on an unrelated topic, Guatemala just won its first medal ever (silver or bronze), in race walking. I love it when new countries join the club!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Google Doodle pays tribute to synchronized swimming

Today's Google Doodle depicts synchronized swimming.

Permalink: http://www.google.com/logos/2012/swimming-2012-hp.jpg

I love Google Doodles in general, and this one is my favorite so far during the London Olympics. (Not because I am partial to synchronized swimming, but because today's Doodle has been the most aesthetically pleasing of those during the London Olympics -- IMHO.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off-topic (sorry) comment to Olympia:
So fun to see your name popping up in the Olympic threads with all your enjoyable posts.
Don't know what you go by in real life, but what a great name -- esp. when the Games roll around every two years! :cool:

Thanks, Golden411. It was one of the rare moments in my life when I was actually able to come up with an apt name. I'm not usually good with catchy handles or even story titles. Actually, I knew someone named Olympia in real life. Maybe she sent me some inspiration as I was mulling names.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yeah, I remember when they gave a big description of it in an earlier Olympics. The control even just an individual competitor has to have to do those moves, and then they have to match exactly another swimmer or several swimmers....and be under the water upside down for most of the time while doing it.

By the way, on an unrelated topic, Guatemala just won its first medal ever (silver or bronze), in race walking. I love it when new countries join the club!

Hooray! I was there for 9 months traveling, studying and getting sick from the water I guess long ago. It is a beautiful place with wonderful people. It was magical-the volcanoes, the different woven clothes from each town, the Mayan culture with the blend of Catholicism and centuries old beliefs. I did not know racewalking was an Olympic sport That seems something Michelle Obama would get behind. Bless Guatemala. Black jade is found in two countries in the world, Guatemala being one, and their weavings are wonderful on backstrap looms. But that was 1981, another life and I have no idea what "modern" Guatemala might be like. I just recall loving the pace of life there and feeling I could slow down and breathe. I just can't picture people racewalking there but I guess sport is so individual. Like curling, there seems to be sports the common maan and woman can embrace.

Oscar is my male inspiration for these games. He is just incredible, and I wish they'd tell us more as I know nothing of his backstory. Bless him.

Oscar is splendid, isn't he? So self-possessed and cordial.

I suspect Guatemala isn't much different now from 1981. They aren't exactly wealthy, and they seem also to be held back by internal strife. I suspect that, like Haiti, there's a teeny-tiny scraping of upper class who handles all the money, and then the rest are poor. This does not usually portend great progress.

They just reminded us on TV that Oscar will run in his country's team relay. Yippee, we get to see him again.

Spain was great in duos! They actually did a synchronized tango to tango music. (Of course no one was going to catch the Russians.)

This is another sport, like figure skating and gymnastics, that got much harder technically in a big hurry, but at the expense of being less pretty than in days of yore.

Last edited:
Spain was great in duos! They actually did a synchronized tango to tango music. (Of course no one was going to catch the Russians.)

This is another sport, like figure skating and gymnastics, that got much harder technically in a big hurry, but at the expense of being less pretty than in days of yore.

A good way to put it. But it's still fascinating to watch, isn't it. And it is most definitely a sport, and a demanding one.