Soccer/Football | Golden Skate

Soccer/Football

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The clash between Canada and the USA was epic. Canada leading three times, the USA fighting back each time and than taking the victory in the final minute of extra time. Extraordinary stuff from the number one team in the world, and Canada can take heart that they played terrifically and pushed them all the way. I hope Canada wins bronze.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It wasd the referee that beat them

Without that call leading to the indirect free kick, we might have had a different game. Maybe. But the way the USA were playing, it's not something I'd bet on.

The BBC called this the greatest women's soccer/football game EVER. The sheer determination and grit from these women.... just enthralling and visceral to behold.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
There may be plenty of matches with more finesse in passes, shot-making and coordination, but this was the most intense football match I've seen. Every player on both sides held nothing back. Everything was fought for. And the scoreline might as well have been scripted for how tense it was. The three times the US leveled the match, Canadian captain Christine Sinclair would come back with a header into the goal! Those were all brilliant 1-2 punches from the Canadians. The two initial goals from Megan Rapinoe were brilliant as well, especially that corner kick that curved into the goal! Hope Solo's diving save near the end of regular time was another amazing move (and just as important as any goal). The US didn't play with its usual command, but players on both sides displayed lots of virtuosity at moments. And the final goal that decided the match? Just 30 seconds before play ended? What's another unbelievable moment to a match full of them?

After the men's vault final earlier today, I was ready to declare that the most entertaining competition of the Olympics. But even though I'm far less vested in football, this match blew the men's vault finals out of the water. I've heard lots of people complain that athletic competitions of women aren't as interesting or fun to watch. This was a match to fix their faces.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is Martin Rogers take on the controversial penalty. He doesn't seem to quite agree but mentions it is still up to the ref ....and to make this call in Live time is not easy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/controversy-played-role-u-womens-012500525.html

To think as the Canadians have said the USA bought the ref is silly.

Why would USA buy a ref against a team they have beaten 27 times in a row? :think:

Much smarter to bribe the refs in the game against Japan....;)

Or just accept that one team wins and the other loses.

Personally I think Canada played the game of their lives and deserved a better fate.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Incredibly breathtaking game. It was like a Hollywood movie. WOW Alex Morgan scoring in the last minute. Typical American mentality. Canada was as fierce. I've never seen them play this well. Sinclair and Tancredo finding each other again and again in front of the US goal.

:points: to both teams!

The other semi final was awesome as well. I can't believe France didn't win. They played like crazy, never gave up, missed a penalty shot and had so many shots on goal. Japan had a real hard time defending themselves. Lucky for them that France failed to score. Statistics: France 11 shots on goal, Japan 3.

OMG, what shall Japan do, how will they play? US may crush them this time. Bigger, stronger, more willpower? The best weapon for Japan is how they quickly pass the ball within the team. I love when they suceed with this.

GO both teams on Thursday night :rock: :popcorn:

To think as the Canadians have said the USA bought the ref is silly.

Of course it's silly. In that case as always other things could be discussed as well. I wouldn't blame the judges for anything. It was a tough, intense give and take match. Must be real hard to judge a game when things happen non stop.

Who are "the Canadians"? The players, the leaders, the media… ?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Incredibly breathtaking game. It was like a Hollywood movie. WOW Alex Morgan scoring in the last minute. Typical American mentality. Canada was as fierce. I've never seen them play this well. Sinclair and Tancredo finding each other again and again in front of the US goal.

:points: to both teams!

The other semi final was awesome as well. I can't believe France didn't win. They played like crazy, never gave up, missed a penalty shot and had so many shots on goal. Japan had a real hard time defending themselves. Lucky for them that France failed to score. Statistics: France 11 shots on goal, Japan 3.

OMG, what shall Japan do, how will they play? US may crush them this time. Bigger, stronger, more willpower? The best weapon for Japan is how they quickly pass the ball within the team. I love when they suceed with this.

GO both teams on Thursday night :rock: :popcorn:

Of course it's silly. In that case as always other things could be discussed as well. I wouldn't blame the judges for anything. It was a tough, intense give and take match. Must be real hard to judge a game when things happen non stop.

Who are "the Canadians"? The players, the leaders, the media… ?

I enjoyed your comments and take on the game.

From yahoo sports:
"Wambach brushed off complaints about the ref as a loser's lament and said it was in line with the relentless talking Canadian coach John Herdman did in the build-up to the game about how the Americans use "illegal tactics" such as setting picks on set plays.

"I feel like you can't blame something on a referee," Wambach said."

IMO no team tries to cover up a lack of skill with non-stop physical play the way the Canadians do. For their coach to complain about USA was ridiculous when his entire game plan was based more on Canadian rough house style of hockey than Intl football.

I agree with Abby here and think the Canadian coach is a major jerk.

Christine's comments I forgive since they were said in the heat of the moment and she is a truly great player......still.....

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important that the ref decided the result before the game started."

Sorry Canada but it is a sign of truly poor sportsmanship to claim the ref decided who would win before the game started.

If FIFA has any say in this there will be fines and even a suspension from Intl play for such reckless comments.

Here is the LINK: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...NhdANtb3JlfHNvY2NlcgRwdANzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
WHAT SEMI-FINALS!

:clap::clap::clap: to USA, Canada, Japan & France!!!!
All four teams were just wonderful, fabulous, fantastic, splendid, magical and majestic! I did not know Women's football can be that exciting.

And the final is 'REMATCH' of World's Cup Final in 2011. :cool: GOOOO GIRLS! :rock:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
All right Janetfan, I never knew about the complaints. I was just entertained :). Any team could have won.

WHAT SEMI-FINALS!

I did not know Women's football can be that exciting.

And the final is 'REMATCH' of World's Cup Final in 2011. :cool: GOOOO GIRLS! :rock:

These games were the best in long times, maybe forever. I see a big future for women's football :thumbsup:

deedee1 what do you think about the final? What is said in Japan?

deedee1

Record Breaker
deedee1 what do you think about the final? What is said in Japan?

In general, casual fans (=most Japanese) went nuts about this win, because of their very first Olympic medal of women football in history. And praised the defense including magical saves by its goal keeper, and of course believe our girls can win OGM by beating US again. Actually our girls are everywhere in daily news on every TV channels; not only the digest of their games, many fluff vids, vids of their days as kid players, their parents, grand parents and friends also show up on TV every day. :laugh:

My bet, however, is on USA this time. Look at their fierce looks throughout the semi-final against Canada. They are ready for a vengeance. :cool:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
It seems there was poor sportsmanship on both sides if that what you consider it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...in-soccer-team-disses-canadian-160147757.html

I can't find ugly americans in this article. What Solo and Morgan say are classical comments to boost your own team. Wambach is just brilliant.

In general, casual fans (=most Japanese) went nuts about this win, because of their very first Olympic medal of women football in history. And praised the defense including magical saves by its goal keeper, and of course believe our girls can win OGM by beating US again. Actually our girls are everywhere in daily news on every TV channels; not only the digest of their games, many fluff vids, vids of their days as kid players, their parents, grand parents and friends also show up on TV every day. :laugh:

My bet, however, is on USA this time. Look at their fierce looks throughout the semi-final against Canada. They are ready for a vengeance. :cool:

Thx! That's my bet too. I'll cheer for both teams though tomorrow …. let the best win.

Funny how a sport people not usually watch suddenly is everywhere in the media. That's the olympics! I really hope the Japanese women team will sit in business class flying home, like the men :)

Women's bronze match, between France and Canada on Thursday before the final.

Men's bronze match on Friday between S Korea and Japan. Final between Brazil and Mexico on Saturday.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I will take a quick shower, have a couple of sleep and try to get up before 3:30am. Idk if I can make it, but I am going to watch Women's Wresling 55Kg final before Women's football if I can. :biggrin: (Go Saori for three consecutive OGM!!!) There is also Men's 200m final in the middle of Women's football.

Best of luck to both USA and Japan. :thumbsup: My prediction is 3-0 US beats Japan.
May the best team win! :rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I will take a quick shower, have a couple of sleep and try to get up before 3:30am. Idk if I can make it, but I am going to watch Women's Wresling 55Kg final before Women's football if I can. :biggrin: (Go Saori for three consecutive OGM!!!) There is also Men's 200m final in the middle of Women's football.

Best of luck to both USA and Japan. :thumbsup: My prediction is 3-0 US beats Japan.
May the best team win! :rock:

No way......I am for USA....but love the way the Japanese girls play.
This game should be close unless one team gets alot of lucky breaks.

BTW, congratulations to Canadian girls for winning first team medal for Canada in any summer sport since.....gasp......1936.

Holy cow.....:)

Best of luck to USA and the Japan. This will be nothing like the USA/Canada game as these teams respect each other and fair play will be the rule of the day.

Nice to see good sportsmanship and fair play rewarded.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Really deedee, 3-0 to US sounds very pessimistic. Japan has shown a big nerve in defending themselves. And if they play the ball as they can, I think quick counterbacks will beat the US defense.

The teams are playing quite differently. I'm curious to see how Japan will tackle this. A bit holding back at the beginning maybe. Don't know much about the Japanese coach, but heard an interview with Pia Sundhage, the US coach. She said she is not at all thinking of revenge. She just loves to analyze the teams, how they play and make a plan. Then she can't do more than trust her players, which she does 100 %. "The players are hot, her role is to calm them down."

I think 2-1 for US. Anyway looking forward to the game. Hope you wake up deedee :) And can function tomorrow.

I couldn't watch the bronze game. But saw some highlights… France dominating hitting the goal frame repeatedly…. then Canada scoring in the last minute like US did against them :eek: France must learn how to hit the goal. Whatever you do, how well you play, it's the scoring that counts. I love this sport :yay:

Saori is unbeatable. She'll of course win :thumbsup: Not a fan of wrestling though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You called it snowflake, a 2-1 victory for the USA girls.

So proud of our wonderful hometown girl, Carli Lloyd for two terrific goals.

Scoring the winning goals in Olympic finals is becoming a habit for Carli (yes, it was Carli who scored the winning goal in overtime that beat Brazil 1-0 in the last Olympics).

Japan is such a great team but had some tough luck today.

I love the way Japan plays ...not just their skill but also their great sense of fair play. :clap:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Great game worthy of an olympic final. Thankyou both teams :clap:

Congratulations to US, third gold in a row. This was the veterans' night. Not least Solo, the keeper.

Japan had their chances and wasn't at all outplayed. I hope they inspire other teams with their quick smooth way. Well done Japan!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Great game worthy of an olympic final. Thankyou both teams :clap:

I love the way Japan plays ...not just their skill but also their great sense of fair play. :clap:

WHAT A GAME THE FINAL WAS! So was the bronze-medal match between Canada and France.
All these girls were just fabulous last night! :rock:

As a crazy fan of Rugby football for decades myself, I can not be so much in love with Men's football. But these girls has made me fall in love with Women's football at this Olympic Games. :love:

I sincerely WISH and HOPE and WANT professional women's football league in the US will be restored soon for the sake of this wonderful sport! :yes: I do believe this sport has a great potential as a team sport internationally for women (remembering I felt so sad when softball was eliminated from the Olympic sport after Beijing...).

Edited to add:
My sincere apologies to our J-girls for having predicted 0-3. Am glad they proved me wrong.

Last edited: