Soccer/Football | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Soccer/Football

janetfan

Match Penalty
WHAT A GAME THE FINAL WAS! So was the bronze-medal match between Canada and France.
All these girls were just fabulous last night! :rock:

As a crazy fan of Rugby football for decades myself, I can not be so much in love with Men's football. But these girls has made me fall in love with Women's football at this Olympic Games. :love:

I sincerely WISH and HOPE and WANT professional women's football league in the US will be restored soon for the sake of this wonderful sport! :yes: I do believe this sport has a great potential as a team sport internationally for women (remembering I felt so sad when softball was eliminated from the Olympic sport after Beijing...).

Edited to add:
My sincere apologies to our J-girls for having predicted 0-3. Am glad they proved me wrong.

Here is a nice article about the Japanese girls:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--japan-classy-in-defeat-to-u-s--in-women-s-soccer-final.html

"Japan's women's soccer team lost a game but gained a worldwide army of admirers Thursday, thanks to its touching display of class following the Olympic final."

It's exciting to realize that there are now so many fans of women's soccer around the world, and so many good players. A male friend of mine actually said that he prefers to watch women's soccer because he finds their game more interesting.

Like you, I felt sad when softball was eliminated. One of the few team sports I understand and have actually played. (Very, very badly.) I hope that women's soccer has made it over the "hump" and is now established in worldwide popularity.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here is a nice article about the Japanese girls:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--japan-classy-in-defeat-to-u-s--in-women-s-soccer-final.html

"Japan's women's soccer team lost a game but gained a worldwide army of admirers Thursday, thanks to its touching display of class following the Olympic final."

A nice article, indeed. Thank you, janetfan.

One of the reasons Women's football attracted me so much is they play fairer compared to normal foootball (=men); e.g. less rough plays and fewer simulations. :)
When watching the normal World Cups (by men) and Premier League (or Liga Española, whatever), I often get disgusted by fake stumbles by supposedly millionaire soccer players, you know...:sarcasm:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Agree deedee, simulations and faking are so annoying. I hope the women will not go that way. I also disgust the racism, hooliganism, sexism and homophobia around men's football wherever it surfaces. Love men's games when they are well played though :yes:

80.203 in the audience at Wembley stadium must be a record for womens football :party2:Awesome for the Japanese and US players. All dancing to "Born in the USA" after the end :laugh:

There are women's leagues in European countries; Germany, France, Russia and Sweden(which was considered the best last season) These leagues have players from US, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. If the US pro league starts over many players will go there. Depends on where they get best payed and/or think they can develop the most. And have a good time in their lives :thumbsup:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Agree deedee, simulations and faking are so annoying. I hope the women will not go that way. I also disgust the racism, hooliganism, sexism and homophobia around men's football wherever it surfaces. Love men's games when they are well played though :yes:

80.203 in the audience at Wembley stadium must be a record for womens football :party2:Awesome for the Japanese and US players. All dancing to "Born in the USA" after the end :laugh:

There are women's leagues in European countries; Germany, France, Russia and Sweden(which was considered the best last season) These leagues have players from US, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. If the US pro league starts over many players will go there. Depends on where they get best payed and/or think they can develop the most. And have a good time in their lives :thumbsup:

The 1999 World Cup final played at the Rose Bowl between USA and China before 91,000 fans holds the attendance record for a woman's soccer match.

The final just played at Wembley set a new Olympic record.

The US women's professional league attendance record is 15,000 and that was set last year right after the Women's WC.
The game was in Rochester, NY and a good part of the crowd came out to cheer the return of hometown favorite Abby Wambach.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The 1999 World Cup final played at the Rose Bowl between USA and China before 91,000 fans holds the attendance record for a woman's soccer match.

The final just played at Wembley set a new Olympic record.

My wrong, that'll be hard to beat :cool: I googled Rose Bowl. Wikipedia said 90 185 in the audience. Didn't know it is in Los Angeles. How many big arenas like that exists in the world?

Mexico won sensationally the men's final over Brazil, 2-1. Dramatical last minutes again. Having stars isn't enough, football is a TEAM sport :thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Mexico won sensationally the men's final over Brazil, 2-1.
Having stars isn't enough, football is a TEAM sport :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Mexico played harder, fairer and more systematically as a team. Many congrats to them! :rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
My wrong, that'll be hard to beat :cool: I googled Rose Bowl. Wikipedia said 90 185 in the audience. Didn't know it is in Los Angeles. How many big arenas like that exists in the world?

Mexico won sensationally the men's final over Brazil, 2-1. Dramatical last minutes again. Having stars isn't enough, football is a TEAM sport :thumbsup:

AFAIK, the attendance record for a Live sporting event took place in Rio de Janeiro at the 1950 WC final between hosts Brasil and Uruguay.
The famous"Maracana" stadium reportedly had 150,00 fans in attendance for that game. :eek:

Since then the Maracana has been renovated several times and it will be used for the next WC. The new capacity is estimated to be around 80,000.

The Rose Bowl, in Pasadena CA still has a 100,00 capacity as do several university stadiums in USA.
Univ. of Michigan and Penn State are two college stadiums that have huge 100,00 plus capacity.

The Women's Gold medal football match was sold out days before the event. If the new Wembley held more I am sure the seats would have been filled. As it is, having the Olympic attendance record is nice....and a healthy sign for the future of Women's football.

Last edited: