Skate problem (or not?) | Golden Skate

Skate problem (or not?)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I have had these Jackson Elite boots and these Protege blades for the past four years, although I have not been skating much (about once in 2 months!). Recently I went back on ice and found that I am having a lot of trouble with toe jumps; my foot doesn't feel stable when I dig the toe into the ice, and sort of "skids", making it impossible for me to do the jump.

I am going to be actually training this season and this worries me. Is this just my inability to do the jump from such long breaks in between or does it have to do with the skates? With these skates, I have previously landed axels consistently and some doubles. Now it seems even the simplest flip is giving trouble! Has anyone else experienced something like this? :unsure:

sarahspins

Rinkside
This is a tough one.. how are your boots looking after 4 years? I have a pair of Elite Plus that I am about to retire after 2 1/2 years of use - they haven't broken down exactly and on the outside they look fine, but they don't provide as much lateral support as they used to, and can definitely feel the difference when jumping. I have a new pair of boots and blades ready to go and I am waiting to get through some tests before I start breaking in my new ones since I didn't have enough time (basically one week) to even consider breaking them in before testing.

It may just be time for new skates.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
Me personally I would get new skates. I thought my old ones were fine after not being used for 6 months and had no where near the support I used to. They are not even creased yet.

treesprite

Final Flight
I'm confused. Is it the boot or the toe pick? Is it possibly that too much pick was taken off when the blades were sharpened?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
This is a tough one.. how are your boots looking after 4 years? I have a pair of Elite Plus that I am about to retire after 2 1/2 years of use - they haven't broken down exactly and on the outside they look fine, but they don't provide as much lateral support as they used to, and can definitely feel the difference when jumping. I have a new pair of boots and blades ready to go and I am waiting to get through some tests before I start breaking in my new ones since I didn't have enough time (basically one week) to even consider breaking them in before testing.

It may just be time for new skates.

Thanks for the reply. They look fine on the outside, even decent I would say. As I said, I haven't been skating much! But since the website does say that they are intended for all doubles, I should be fine, I guess... sarahspins, what level are you?

treesprite said:
I'm confused. Is it the boot or the toe pick? Is it possibly that too much pick was taken off when the blades were sharpened?

Well 1. the toe pick skids 2. the boot *feels* unstable (maybe the problem would be more obvious to someone who was watching me do the jump). I don't know if that is the case because I have not sharpened my skates for at least, umm, 2 years? I didn't feel I need to, due to the rarity of my skating haha

sarahspins

Rinkside
Thanks for the reply. They look fine on the outside, even decent I would say. As I said, I haven't been skating much! But since the website does say that they are intended for all doubles, I should be fine, I guess...

Boots don't last forever. After 4 years I'd strongly suggest replacing them.

I'm landing doubles in the harness but not off (I'm not working on them off). I've always been hard on boots though.. I'm surprised that mine have lasted as long as they have.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
4 years is probably time to replace the skates, although if they haven't had much use you might not need to. The slipping toepick could be either a blade mounting issue or a technique issue. Have a coach at the rink tell you which one it likely is, becuase that's impossible to tell without seeing the skates or the jump. After such a long time it's possible the screws are stripped, which could lead to a slipping toe pick. Not having sharp skates can also lead to feeling unstable in your boot. Jackson's don't tend to breakdown quickly. I was working on doubles for 5 years in those skates, although that was probably a tad too long. I'd have someone at your rink take a look at them, failing that ask the people at your local skate shop, they'll have a better idea of what specifically is going on with your skates.