Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rhythmic Gymnastics

Group Rhythmic Gymnastics was never aired during the Games. BOOO

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Ball routines were just aired. Don't know if rippons/hoops will be.

Thanks SB for your serious take on the business

I've watched the rhythmic gymnastics with great pleasure. Don't know a thing about the rules or the scoring system. I am just entertained. Sure it can be like that for casual viewers watching figure skating as well

Custom Title
    I knew that by going out, I'd probably miss the event on TV, but I luckily came back in time to see a lot of the hoops/ribbons routines, including the ones by Italy and Belarus. Your commentary helped a lot, Serious! It focused me and I was able to appreciate the moves much more. I'm only sorry that Bulgaria didn't do so well; I have several Bulgarian friends, and one of them especially loves to keep track of the Games in general and follow her country's progress in particular. She works on Sundays, so she will have missed the day's events, but I can direct her to YouTube for an earlier competition from this year, I'm sure.

I know that people enjoy complaining about NBC's coverage, but in their favor, I have to say they have shown a great variety of sports across their channels, and they do spend time showing events and matches that do not feature Americans. They're currently showing a wrestling match between an athlete from India and one from Japan. Moreover, the NBC commentators for the less marquee sports are very informative and plainly have done homework on the athletes or teams from other countries: their records, their styles, what they're known for. As a "visitor" to most of these sports, I appreciate the attention given to them and the information provided for me.

Maybe other services, such as the BBC or Eurosport or whatever, are better, but NBC has done a good job for this Olympics, I think.

Thanks to Serious Business for such good commentary on rhythmic gymnastics.

I freely admit I don't know a thing (scoring wise) about this beautiful sport.
    But without doubt I love watching it and think these girls - all of them- are beautiful athletes.

I managed to catch some of the individual AA yesterday and simply fell in love with each performer.

I had my favorites.....thought the Russian girls were out of this world.... but I was really happy to see a few of the others.

I liked the Japanese girl hoop routine I saw and thought the Korean girl with the ball was indescribably charming.

The truth is I loved it....and could have cared less who got the big scores coz I found them all incredible.

Call it a guilty pleasure ....or whatever.....but I loved watching those routines.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    janetfan, I don't think rhythmic gymnastics should be a guilty pleasure. Watching so much rhythmic gymnastics gave me a really deep and scary impression of just how difficult it is. It takes an inhuman amount of precision, balance, coordination and practice to achieve even the routines of the lowest ranked competitors here. It doesn't take as much brute strength and stamina as some other sports, to be sure, but how many other sports have athletes who can spin in a 225° arabesque split while dribbling a ball? And this is one of the most basic moves in rhythmic gymnastics at this level. The apex of any sport is to push the human body to an outrageous limit for the sake of good competition, and rhythmic gymnastics absolutely does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    janetfan, I don't think rhythmic gymnastics should be a guilty pleasure. Watching so much rhythmic gymnastics gave me a really deep and scary impression of just how difficult it is. It takes an inhuman amount of precision, balance, coordination and practice to achieve even the routines of the lowest ranked competitors here. It doesn't take as much brute strength and stamina as some other sports, to be sure, but how many other sports have athletes who can spin in a 225° arabesque split while dribbling a ball? And this is one of the most basic moves in rhythmic gymnastics at this level. The apex of any sport is to push the human body to an outrageous limit for the sake of good competition, and rhythmic gymnastics absolutely does that.
    No argument from me......

When I say guilty pleasure I simply mean I enjoy it enough to not woryy or even concern myself with the scoring.

It is pretty much the way I feel about Ice Dancing.
    I enjoy Ice Dancing and even love it at times.
    But I have no desire to ever try and learn too much about the scoring system.

Let's face it, for some of us that would serve to ruin the pleasure of it.

Guilty....without a doubt...yes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Definitely! The first time I watched rhythmic gymnastics, I was wowed by their eye-hand coordination. This isn't crocheting, folks. It looks tremendously difficult. In fact it looks impossible. I keep looking for the strings holding things up, and of course there aren't any.

Custom Title
    I am not familiar with Rhythmic Gymnastics and its rules at all.
    Even to such untrained eyes of mine, it is obvious indeed that Evgeniya Kanaeva of Russia is just above everyone else.

The one who has stolen my heart, however, is Yeon Jae Son of Korea!

Rinkside
    Hi im new.. long time lurker.
    Thank you all, esp. serious business!, for your comments on the events!
    I wanted to share some links to watch the event online in case any of you missed it in my next post!

Rinkside
    I don't know how long they will have these videos online, so I suggest to watch before they disappear!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...und-final.html
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...oup-rot-1.html
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...oup-rot-2.html

and my two favorite athletes in this sport together-so cute: Evgenia Kanaeva and Yeon-Jae Son!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...1tfco1_500.jpg
    Last edited by gato; 08-13-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: hopefully to fix links

Quote Originally Posted by gato View Post
    I don't know how long they will have these videos online, so I suggest to watch before they disappear!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...und-final.html
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...oup-rot-1.html
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rhy...oup-rot-2.html

and my two favorite athletes in this sport together-so cute: Evgenia Kanaeva and Yeon-Jae Son!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...1tfco1_500.jpg
    Thank you so much for posting these! I'd been trying to watch the competition somewhere but had missed it on NBC (not enough patience to sit through 4 hours of broadcast for 10 minutes of coverage). Some of this is absolutely unbelievable! Pirouettes in penché position? And the flexibility? Wow!

Reminded me a bit of figure skating with the flesh-colored leotards and the "kiss and cry" area.

This is such an excellent sport. To me, it seems like the sport is progressing in the direction of greater precision in the moves, with not so much emphasis on extreme flexibility as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This is such an excellent sport. To me, it seems like the sport is progressing in the direction of greater precision in the moves, with not so much emphasis on extreme flexibility as it used to.
    I agree and hope USA will get a few contenders in this beautiful sport so we can see more of it.
    Despite being the sole voice defending NBC at GS it's not like I'm blind.

Yes, I see faults with NBC's coverage and don't approve of them passing over sports where USA has no medal contenders.

On the other hand I can't help notice the "me, me, me" cries of disapproval

No one has mentioned this but a fair enough complaint is about the way we can feel held hostage at times.

Whether it's the winter or summer games many of us don't like having to tune in on a given night because figure skating or gymnastics will be shown only to have sit through hours of other events.

I feel sure many of us also don't like the way they chop up skating and gymnastic competitons by constantly switching coverage to sports we don't care as much about.

I do understand from a marketing point why NBC does it....but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Anyway......does anyone have any info or links about some of the USA rhythmic gymnasts?

Seems like knowing something about them would be a start to a better understanding of a sport I feel no shame in calling a "guilty pleasure."
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-14-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/team-usa/...ymnastics.html

Julie Zetlin of Bethesda, MD, is the first rhythmic gymnast we sent to an Olympics since 2004.

Her mother was a Hungarian rhthmic gymnastic champion, back in her day.

Two of her routines were shown during the qualifying coverage. She was not really up to the level of competition here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Zetlin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast