Acc. to Politico, Michelle Kwan, Susan Rice will represent U.S. at closing ceremonies | Golden Skate

Acc. to Politico, Michelle Kwan, Susan Rice will represent U.S. at closing ceremonies

fairly4

Medalist
Acc. to Politico, Michelle Kwan, Susan Rice will represent U.S. at closing ceremonies

i just got a tweet from the Politico that Michelle Kwan Susan Rice will represent the U.s Delegation for the Closing Cermonies.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
nice, for us mk fans but shouldn't it be a summer athlete or even current games special athlete like Gabby Douglass?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In 2008, Kwan was a member of the Presidential Delegation to the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics as well.
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2008/07/20080723-3.html

As for Gabby Douglas:
Because she is a London 2012 athlete, including her in the Presidential Delegation would make absolutely no sense to me.
I would think that any London 2012 athlete who stays for the closing ceremony would want to have the special experience and honor of marching in among their fellow athletes and enjoying the festivities as part of that elite group.

Last edited:
President Obama tends to rely on the members of the President's Council for Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition for service of this sort. The official U.S. delegation to the opening ceremonies featured Dominique Dawes (co-chair of the Council, with footballer Drew Brees) and basketball player Grant Hill. The delegation for the closing ceremonies includes baseball player Curtis Pride in addition to Michelle.

There is one member of the Council who is competing in London, sprinter Allyson Felix. (She just won the gold medal in the 200 meters today.) :clap: :clap: :clap: