Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

skatefan12

Rinkside
I think it would be a daunting task to convince Johnny he is no longer a "young" skater.

Johnny is the oldest in the US at this point, I dont think there is any getting around that :)

But then the question is where does Jeremy fit? Johnny and Evan are definitive old guard, but Jeremy is like, one day younger than Evan so which side should he be on?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny is "oldest", but I think janetfan's suggesting that he will be 29 forever ;)

jeremy was an even later bloomer than Evan, so while age wise he's right there with Johnny and Evan, he's not been around as long... lol he's kinda in no mans land...

skatefan12

Rinkside
Johnny is "oldest", but I think janetfan's suggesting that he will be 29 forever ;)

jeremy was an even later bloomer than Evan, so while age wise he's right there with Johnny and Evan, he's not been around as long... lol he's kinda in no mans land...

When I think about it, I always group him more with the younger skaters. Maybe its a maturity thing, but Johnny and Evan always seemed way older, even though Evan and Jeremy are exactly the same age.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a look back at Evan's LP from 2004:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUazJS63vV8

For plushyfan, Button said this: "He certainly has a habit of flaring his arms and waving them around alot." :)

And again "I think the edging and choreo would show much better if he didn't constantly flail the arms in the air. I think that detracts from what he is doing."

So we can see now Dick Button is not a fan of Plushy or Evan's windmill arms.

Such keen observations are why Button made the big bucks....;)

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside

For plushyfan, Button said this: "He certainly has a habit of flaring his arms and waving them around alot." :)

And again "I think the edging and choreo would show much better if he didn't constantly flail the arms in the air. I think that detracts from what he is doing."

Such keen observations are why Button made thebig bucks....;)

Evan's arm thing came out of nowhere too. I remember earlier programs of his, and even one the same year and his arms were pretty normal and then all of a sudden, BAM-flailing:confused:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Evan's arm thing came out of nowhere too. I remember earlier programs of his, and even one the same year and his arms were pretty normal and then all of a sudden, BAM-flailing:confused:

Gee, don't you know that the abilities on music interpretation is developing along with the age?!:biggrin: He was taught to be so and so when he was a little. He interpreted the music more freely when he was older.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gee, don't you know that the abilities on music interpretation is developing alone with the age?!:biggrin: He was taught to be so and so when he was a little. He interpreted the music more freely when he was older.

I think he copied another skater who was very successful with the untamed flapping arms. :)

I think of it as the "be like Mike" syndrome. :yes:

willywonka

Rinkside
The return of the old guards will be widely anticipated and watched. Good for t.v. ratings. ;)
Lysacek, the Cool and Sturdy can beat the Bionic Man? Lysacek to prove his last win is no fluke.
Plushenko wants money and POWER. It would be history making if he wins in Sochi. He will seal his name in history as super rich and super invincible. Evgeni Plushenko, the Russian Tsar, the rich, powerful and invincible.:biggrin:

I don't think they came out of nowhere, I think they came out of the CoP. The minute the ISU inserted a bullet about "full use of the upper body" all of a sudden we got windmill arms and bobbing-for-apples heads and upper torsos.

seniorita

Record Breaker
It just occured me that to afford this diver Plushenko watch, I have to work for a year and I eat only bean sprouts.:unsure:
And I dont even like diving:laugh:

It just occured me that to afford this diver Plushenko watch, I have to work for a year and I eat only bean sprouts.:unsure:
And I dont even like diving:laugh:

And I bet you're not fond of bean sprouts, either.

I've never understood why there are such expensive watches. Who would carry around something so valuable and so breakable?

(I couldn't find a price listed anywhere. Just out of curiosity, any ideas of what it costs?)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think he copied another skater who was very successful with the untamed flapping arms. :)

I think of it as the "be like Mike" syndrome. :yes:

it worked better than that french guy who tried to follow in another olympic champion's *footsteps*

gmyers

Record Breaker
On top of that he is the returning OC in a "sport" that even it's best fans can admit is a "reputation" sport.

Even without a quad, the way Evan skated in Vancouver would make him a podium threat at GP',s Natls even Worlds IMO.

I may like Javi but don't see his skating - even with 3 quads - anywhere near as strong as a healthy Evan.

I say that based in part on Javi's breakout season but somewhat disappointing placements.

Javi, and most of the others just can't show the overall CoP skating strength we see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJgGHIoawU

Add on the PRESSURE and sorry to say most of everyone's favorites fade a level or TWO..TWO...THREE....FOUR :)

I love to read the new posts that say "8-12 skaters are better than Evan" :cool:

Sorry but I read the same baloney leading into Vancouver and I haven't forgotten the wildly wrong predictions of BOP.
I mention BOP because I know he knows skating and I respect most of his opinions.

But in the sporting world results - not to mention competitive abilty - trump OPINIONS every time. :yes:

Why do you doubters think you know more than Mishin who made it clear Evan's return is of great interest!

Look at Skate America or something 2011 where the Gold was a Brezina messing up on a lot of triples and then narrowly beating Kevin Van Der Perren. Lysacek could easily win GP events and make the GPF depending on quality of skaters. in 2009 Skate America was designed so that it was like a senior B plus Lysacek. Just everyone at USFS went out of there way to make that a landslide. His program would still be worth a lot of points. Level 4 step sequences are easier to get now and he got a level 4 in the SP at the Olympics in 2010 so if he can do level 4 step squences like he did before and do all the triples as consistently as he did if he can't do a quad it might not be necessary - at a lot of events! Everything needs to be tested before you can say people definitely need quads to win. Who is testing that theory? Everything needs to be scored first in a skaters program. Plushenko will not say he will do anything but Russian nationals and Euros and then Sochi Olympics. Je is willing to test himself and do the physical exertion and risk aggravating injuries only so much.

I am interested in the view that if Plushenko and Lysacek both don't medal in Sochi but Lysacke places higher it means that he is better than Plushenko! What about 2006! Or 2002! It would just be someone competing 12 years after they went to their first Olympics and placed in the top 10! And if Plushenko placed lower but did a successful quad or two and Lyascek did not what would that mean. It could totally be who was better in 2002. Stojko or Eldredge?!? Stojko finally did a quad at an Olympics! I vote Stojko did better than Eldredge in 2002!!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Eldredge > Stojko at 2002 Olympics (Eldredge's LP was one of his best, actually, and I'd have him 4th in that segment) although the judges strangely placed Stojko below Michael Weiss and that order could have been reversed...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Such keen observations are why Button made the big bucks....;)

ooops! maybe D. Button liked him? " brilliant skatnig" "so brilliantly and so well" "really magnificent" etc., etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WXLsJlAiw

Do you see his arms? He has dancer arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQdGyJQ1cU

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
And I bet you're not fond of bean sprouts, either.

I've never understood why there are such expensive watches. Who would carry around something so valuable and so breakable?

(I couldn't find a price listed anywhere. Just out of curiosity, any ideas of what it costs?)

Read these pages, please. You will get answers to why this watch is so expensive. :)

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11&start=1990

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11&start=1650

Last edited:
As I said earlier, I simply don't understand the appeal of watches that cost as much as a car.

However, good for Plushy for achieving such status in the world--I'm always glad when a skater anywhere becomes a premium asset in his or her country, because they're pretty low down on the pecking order in most countries these days. Plushy proves himself as a Russian institution.

yaya124

On the Ice
It is a Lysacek thread, maybe we should talk about his new custom instead of Plushy's watch:laugh:

Oh, you know how these threads tend to drift.

I'm hoping we'll get new details about Evan's program and his results soon.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This article has some interesting thoughts and insights into Evan's life as Olympic Champion.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20110303_1_lysacek-naperville-skater-ice-show

"For Lysacek's marketability to remain strong, it's important he continue competitive skating,'' said Olympic marketing expert Bob Dorfman of Baker Street Advertising.

"Even competing and not medaling at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics is better than not being there at all. He certainly would go into 2014 as one of America's most recognizable athletes, highly hyped and featured in many corporate marketing campaigns. The drama of Lysacek trying to repeat as gold medalist would be one of the biggest stories of the Sochi Games.''