Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

MasterB

Final Flight
Who the hell are we to judge.

I always considered skaters to be open-minded, guess not.

MasterB

Final Flight
^ Yes, but this time he really, really means it. :)

You have to admit that with Weir and Evan in the mix, nationals will be one exciting event. Can't wait.

Rippon, Dornbush, Miner, and Armin better bring on the quads if they want a chance at one of the top two spots.

Abbott, all things being equal should be able to hold on.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You have to admit that with Weir and Evan in the mix, nationals will be one exciting event. Can't wait.

Rippon, Dornbush, Miner, and Armin better bring on the quads if they want a chance at one of the top two spots.

Abbott, all things being equal should be able to hold on.

*ahem* :sarcasm: and Messing!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I have checked Skate America, and my goodness; Michal, Tomas, Yuzuru, Takahiko, Machida, Jeremy and now Evan! :eek:
Anyone can win of course, but at least three out of these six boys are going to miss the podium at one of Grand Prix events. :bang:

ice cool

Rinkside
If Lysacek really comes back and skates at Skate America, SA will be a dog fight! There's so much competition in men's field.

badknees

Medalist
Hey Skateluvr, I would love to read your post, but it hurts the eyes and you keep losing your place when you put it all in one huge paragraph. It would be great if you could separate such a large post into many paragraphs. Thanks!

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have checked Skate America, and my goodness; Michal, Tomas, Yuzuru, Takahiko, Machida, Jeremy and now Evan! :eek:
Anyone can win of course, but at least three out of these six boys are going to miss the podium at one of Grand Prix events. :bang:

I'm going to put my money on either Hanyu or Kozuka winning Skate America this season (most likely Hanyu). The Japanese men have usually done VERY well at Skate America (e.g. they swept Skate America's gold from 2005-2008) and the only time Lysacek was able to win Skate America, the only Japanese man there was Nanri. :laugh:

Last edited:
I don't know if this was posted at the time, but in April Phil Hersh reported that Lysacek's switch from big-time celebrity agency CAA to figure skating insider Shep Goldberg (Michelle Kwan's long-time agent) was what paved the way fpr Lysacek to work things out with the USFSA. Evidently the main money issue was a USFSA rule that a skater could not endorse a rival product in the same category as a USFSA sponsor.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_evan-lysacek-lori-nichol-competitive-figure

Here is Hersh's take now.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0120810_1_evan-lysacek-kim-yuna-shep-goldberg

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it was discussed in depth, but I think the article was mentioned back in the spring...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I'm going to put my money on either Hanyu or Kozuka winning Skate America this season (most likely Hanyu). The Japanese men have usually done VERY well at Skate America (e.g. they swept Skate America's gold from 2005-2008) and the only time Lysacek was able to win Skate America, the only Japanese man there was Nanri. :laugh:

Skate America is very early in the season, better for Lysacek to train to skate really well at Nationals (to make the Worlds team) and later even better at Worlds, in my opinion. Winning Skate America is not the most important goal of the season :laugh:, I would say.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Skate America is very early in the season, better for Lysacek to train to skate really well at Nationals (to make the Worlds team) and later even better at Worlds, in my opinion. Winning Skate America is not the most important goal of the season :laugh:, I would say.

You are absolutely right. :agree:

lavender

Record Breaker

Plus I enjoyed their skating wayyy more than Evan.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Evan will do just fine. He is confident. He is a competitior. He has the right team and support. He has the resources. Talent wise he is sort of like katarina Witt - he comes up solid when needed. Sure, he doesn't have the personality or style of Witt and technically he really isn't in the same league as Takahashi and Chan at this point. But Evan like Witt who beat the likes of Josee Chouinard et al in 1994 have that un canny ability to get judges on their side. Who knows his true motives - money, fame, 15 more minutes of attention. My personal opinion which will offend some is that Evan really should be grateful for what he has and move on. Unless he picks ups ome flare he has b een more than lucky to win a WGM and OGM. But that being said he might be a b ig time skater who comes through. In 1994 and in 2010 there were tonnes of excellent men's skaters but something happened that allowed others to win. In 1994 it was supposed to be Brian Boitano or Kurt Browning but Urmanov and Stoijko snuck through. In 2010 there was Plushy, Lambiel, Joubert, Tak, Oda, kozuka, Verner, Weir and even Chan to name a few.

Out of interest, is Evan naturally that dark or is it fake and bake? It does help him appear more exotic or even East Indian.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Out of interest, is Evan naturally that dark or is it fake and bake? It does help him appear more exotic or even East Indian.

To my knowledge Evan has never failed to pass the incredibly tough IOC fake suntan test, rumored to be as demanding and accurate as the doping tests for the sprinters. ;)

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Evan will do just fine. He is confident. He is a competitior. He has the right team and support. He has the resources. Talent wise he is sort of like katarina Witt - he comes up solid when needed. Sure, he doesn't have the personality or style of Witt and technically he really isn't in the same league as Takahashi and Chan at this point. But Evan like Witt who beat the likes of Josee Chouinard et al in 1994 have that un canny ability to get judges on their side. Who knows his true motives - money, fame, 15 more minutes of attention. My personal opinion which will offend some is that Evan really should be grateful for what he has and move on. Unless he picks ups ome flare he has b een more than lucky to win a WGM and OGM. But that being said he might be a b ig time skater who comes through. In 1994 and in 2010 there were tonnes of excellent men's skaters but something happened that allowed others to win. In 1994 it was supposed to be Brian Boitano or Kurt Browning but Urmanov and Stoijko snuck through. In 2010 there was Plushy, Lambiel, Joubert, Tak, Oda, kozuka, Verner, Weir and even Chan to name a few.

It is funny you compare Evan to Witt. Remember Witt came only 7th at the Olympics in her comeback. That sounds like about where Evan will probably place if he makes it to Vancouver, and like Witt 8th and 9th places being people who would have beaten him too but bombed.