Lysacek announces return to competitive skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Lysacek announces return to competitive skating

Yes, if he can do it on guts and determination alone, he should succeed. I've only ever heard praise for his work ethic from all quarters. He even satisfies the demanding Frank Carroll (who must love someone with his willingness to grind away at a task). Remember what a great influence he was on Mirai when they both trained with Carroll? He's not the most talented skater out there, but you'll always know that he will give everything he has inside him to a competition. I'd love to see him at his best again, whatever that "best" is at this point in his career.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hear Evan's own words about Plushy.
Chan fans might note this was after winning the OGM, and going for 24 hours without sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6m7CjKFB_o

I think this interview shows the difference between a man and a spoiled child.

Like him or not Evan handled himself very well.

Because of his monotone and unfeeling way of speaking it seems mild but talking about Plushenko wanting to abolish the sport of skating and turn it into a jumping contest with nothing else is not nice at all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's not false

"If it was a jumping competition, they'd give you 10 seconds to go do your best jump. But it's about 4 minutes and 40 seconds of skating and performing from start to finish," Lysacek said. "That was my challenge tonight, and I feel like I did quite well."

Plushenko was not talking about abolishing skating and turning it into a 10 second jump contest. Within the program you should do a quad like was done for 3 Olympics in a row 1998 to 2006. The whole thing about Plushenko wanting to abolish spins and steps and choreo was false. It was about a jump standard for which COP can't enforce.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
gmeyers, I'm not seeing the accusation that you say Evan made about Plushenko in the quote you shared. No need to add words to a good quote. All he said was "it's supposed to be the whole of the program, not the jumps."

where I think Evan forgot was that the tech did count forr a lot as IIRC Plush lost more points there than in the second mark.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hear Evan's own words about Plushy.
Chan fans might note this was after winning the OGM, and going for 24 hours without sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6m7CjKFB_o

I think this interview shows the difference between a man and a spoiled child.

Like him or not Evan handled himself very well.

Evan is a good skater, I don't hate him. And he is the Olympic Champion of 2010, of course. The system was bad, and the ISU wanted a North-American to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko was not talking about abolishing skating and turning it into a 10 second jump contest. Within the program you should do a quad like was done for 3 Olympics in a row 1998 to 2006. The whole thing about Plushenko wanting to abolish spins and steps and choreo was false. It was about a jump standard for which COP can't enforce.

:jaw::rofl:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Evan is a good skater, I don't hate him. And he is the Olympic Champion of 2010, of course. The system was bad, and the ISU wanted a North-American to win.

Of course. You had Cinquanta bashing Plushenko before the free skate as a piano player who only hits one note. I don't think the head of the ISU had ever bashed a skater before an Olympic free skate before. I have read a lot of history but the lobbying against Plushenko by the head of the ISU also must have been face to face with the judges as well.

gmeyers, I'm not seeing the accusation that you say Evan made about Plushenko in the quote you shared. No need to add words to a good quote. All he said was "it's supposed to be the whole of the program, not the jumps."

where I think Evan forgot was that the tech did count forr a lot as IIRC Plush lost more points there than in the second mark.

I don't see how any other conclusion could be reached based on his comments. 10 second programs? Plushenko never said anything about 10 second jump competitions. If you think a free skate or sp or lp should have a quad that means radical transformation of the sport to 10 seconds?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Of course. You had Cinquanta bashing Plushenko before the free skate as a piano player who only hits one note. I don't think the head of the ISU had ever bashed a skater before an Olympic free skate before. I have read a lot of history but the lobbying against Plushenko by the head of the ISU also must have been face to face with the judges as well.

Do you remember Mr Inman? and read on Wiki: "Quadruple jump controversy" ,very interesting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that's not what he said at all... he's equating the jumps to being 10 seconds of an over all program and that 10 seconds does not make up the entirety of the judging.

and this is an arugment from 3 years ago brought back frrom the dead to what point? All Evan did was say "hey I rreally am coming back this season. go team usa" it's not an attack on anyone's favorite... we all need to chill.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Vancouver
1. Peformance/Execution 8.8(Plushy)/8.5(Evan) 2. Choreography/Composition 8.2(Plushy)/8.35(Evan) 3. Interpretation 8.75(Plushy)/8.3(Evan).

and what do you think about it?

From NY Times ( /2010/02/20/sports/olympics/20¬longman.html) : Lysacek received only a judges warning for a wrong-edged takeoff on his triple flip, not a 2- or 3-point deduction that would have changed the outcome, which was narrowly decided in his favor by 257.67 points to 256.36. Lysa's first 3A was prerotated 1/4 but got unfairly +0.6 GOE

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am glad Evan is returning. If some say he is a bit on the dull side he certainly never fails to set the GS forum on fire.

Glad Plush is returning too. And Yuna......

I never like saying goodbye to skaters.

Go Alissa!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Do you remember Mr Inman? and read on Wiki: "Quadruple jump controversy" ,very interesting.

That's a good article. Inman, Cinquanta, all the emails and comments with extreme negative stuff about Plushenko.

that's not what he said at all... he's equating the jumps to being 10 seconds of an over all program and that 10 seconds does not make up the entirety of the judging.

and this is an arugment from 3 years ago brought back frrom the dead to what point? All Evan did was say "hey I rreally am coming back this season. go team usa" it's not an attack on anyone's favorite... we all need to chill.

We just have different views of what "10 seconds to go do your best jump" means. I think Lysacek was saying Plushenko only wants 10 second programs. Cinquanta was saying Plushenko wants whole programs but have only the jumps be judged and nothing else.

This is all a part of how Lysacek can be expected to act when he comes back. His views on skating and his views on what his competition thinks will be a part of it. The views of Inmana and Cinquanta and Plushenko and Mishin and Chan etc etc.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's a good article. Inman, Cinquanta, all the emails and comments with extreme negative stuff about Plushenko.

We just have different views of what "10 seconds to go do your best jump" means. I think Lysacek was saying Plushenko only wants 10 second programs. Cinquanta was saying Plushenko wants whole programs but have only the jumps be judged and nothing else.

This is all a part of how Lysacek can be expected to act when he comes back. His views on skating and his views on what his competition thinks will be a part of it. The views of Inmana and Cinquanta and Plushenko and Mishin and Chan etc etc.

It is unfortunate for you to put words in Evan's mouth.

You do not speak for Evan or anyone else.
Just yourself.....

ETA:
Sorry about that and as Toni suggested can we get back on track to a more productive discussion?

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Evan knows he's got an off chance of making the podium, but there must be something he sees in the competition that makes him think "I can do it."

I think Evan is quite competitive within USA, with or without a quad. I expect him to make into next year's world team. Abbott might be the No.1 or No.3 though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Evan is quite competitive within USA, with or without a quad. I expect him to make into next year's world team. Abbott might be the No.1 or No.3 though.

I think you are right and that more than a few fans are interested to see how he will do.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I agree, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting on the podium in the US... but it might be harder to make the world team (we only have two spots next season, right?)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I am glad Evan is returning. If some say he is a bit on the dull side he certainly never fails to set the GS forum on fire. Glad Plush is returning too. And Yuna......I never like saying goodbye to skaters.

Go Alissa!

Plushenko has competed last season, he has come back already, you missed the note.

Lysacek doesnt have to be blamed that he sets any fire, he got his medal and he lived happily ever after, it is when people ressurect and beat the dead horse like the last few pages what sets fire in here.

I m fine with Lysacek coming back and looking forward to his new image, what I only mind is listening again his team saying how hard he works out of all skaters, and that only because unless there is a board that every top skater writes how many hours he/she trains to compare, I dont think any elite skater works less hard than anyone else.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

After Evgeni recently, personally communicated in Italy with the president of the ISU Ottavio Cinquanta. He spoke with Cinquanta in Milan, he had an exhibition program, Cinquanta went Evgeni's changing rooms!!!!!!!!!! They forgave each other. Plushenko to Cinquanta - for the Olympics, and Cinquanta to Plushenko,

Not after this event, Cinquanta said Plushy probably the best single skater of all postwar times

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plushenko has competed last season, he has come back already, you missed the note.

Lysacek doesnt have to be blamed that he sets any fire, he got his medal and he lived happily ever after, it is when people ressurect and beat the dead horse like the last few pages what sets fire in here.

I m fine with Lysacek coming back and looking forward to his new image, what I only mind is listening again his team saying how hard he works out of all skaters, and that only because unless there is a board that every top skater writes how many hours he/she trains to compare, I dont think any elite skater works less hard than anyone else.

Interesting....I posted the Costas interview with just Evan so we could hear EXACTLY what Evan had to say.

There is another Costa/Evan Olympic interview with Button and Scott......
That interview felt more likely to cause a FEW fans to overreact so I chose what I thought was the milder interview

FYI Button said the biggest difference he saw was that Evan seemed to be much better conditioned than Plush.
Scott then chimed in that "no one trains harder than Evan" :)

Evan is the current OC and if you want to say it was his natural skating talent than won him the OGM as opposed to his work ethic I won't argue it with you even if I disagree.

We all saw how Plush was a prodigy....great at a young age.
That was never the case with Evan and where I grew up we always repected the fighter and the hard worker more than the one blessed with natural gifts.

In Plushenko's case the natural gifts were followed by chronic bad knees....most likely from being overtrainined over such a long, successful career.

I admit I hope Evan does well this season but I feel the same way about Plushenko. Nothing would be more fun than to see Evan, Plush, and Dai at Worlds this season......with Patrick having his chance to show who is currently the best.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
That was never the case with Evan and where I grew up we always repected the fighter and the hard worker more than the one blessed with natural gifts.
Janetfan I m sorry but that makes little sense in elite sports. If you can jump higher than anyone else that wont make you a Comanecci on its own if you dont train to become one. Having natural gifts will maybe make you more unique but you need to work your talents as much as a less gifted athlete. I dont believe lambiel worked less hard on his spins, but his talent made the spins more special than the rest.

On the subject, Hanyu who is a prodigy himself, I believe he doesnt afford to work less than any Lysacek. Can anyone confirm that he trains less hard or is not a fighter?