The season cometh-how do we make it a friendly, really fun place | Golden Skate

The season cometh-how do we make it a friendly, really fun place

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I thought of some boring ideas and look to you all to find funny ones, a contest, faux "fines" etc. You are all so bright, very creative, too.

It occurred to me seeing a comment that a poster was being disrespectful, not a major thing but these interrupt good threads then they get closed for silly reasons.

I thought it would be funny to do our New Year resolutions early...i'll start

I resolve to actually re-read the GS guidelines before the season!

I resolve not to tweet re skating while driving. (This should be doable as I no longer drive, and have no Twitter acct):laugh:

so far I'm batting 1000.

Any good ideas on how the season can be less bloody with all the old:biggrin: faves returning??

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, I don't want GS to be less bloody. This should be an extremely exciting season and hopefully heads will roll.

I must say, it's pretty cool how CoP has made the fields more deep, even if it has somewhat ruined the art of ice skating at the same time. There are more podium contenders than ever (of course, less and less rewards and money to go around though :mad:). Just getting top 10 at Worlds is going to be a really big accomplishment now in the Men's field. Everyone has a much firmer grasp of what they need to do in order to get better, whereas before CoP came about skaters weren't as aware of what they needed to be doing. Mass spread of information with the internet has certainly helped foster the current environment as well.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, I just don't want to see the Yuna/mao wars round two.:eek: Too much blood even for my taste.

brightphoton

Medalist
friedly? Every thing is better fried, I support this idea. But the Yuna/Mao threads are a lost cause, I'm afraid.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
There is a bunch of sports where opponents' fans are friendly to each other. The reason is simple- more or less fair judgement. I wonder if it ever will be the case with FS. The rason of unfriendlyness is the corruption of the moder judging system. Naturaly it's kind of naive to ask people to shup up when they see unfairness. It's simply not in human nature.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Isn't it a fun and friendly place already?! First of all, good for you that you are still interested in all these things and posting here!:thumbsup: I wish you the best! Second, I don't know what you are expecting when you were the one who brought up politicking from Russians in Sochi when Sochi is not even here yet? Expecting no fireworks in a general forum seems impossible. It is not the reason of fair or unfair judging. It's the result of conflicts of personal interests. Some people see things more biased than others. Like BoP said, it's sometimes bloody. But in the meantime, it's exciting and fun. As long as we all follow the forum guide, I don't see any problems.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Second, I don't know what you are expecting when you were the one who brought up politicking from Russians in Sochi when Sochi is not even here yet?
:laugh: "It's always bloddy Russia!" The sense of humor (except probably the one down the waistline) is individual and not international. Sarcasm is also difficult to get when it is written. No wonder if someone fails. :p
It is not the reason of fair or unfair judging. It's the result of conflicts of personal interests.
Booing in Nice wasn't personal. It was the result of unfair judgement and corruption of the system. "Personal" is when you attack someone who wasn't addressing any poster particularly like you are doing now. You can start with yourself working on making this place friendly. :popcorn:

deedee1

Record Breaker
The season cometh-how do we make it a friendly, really fun place

Here is my answer to your question, skateluvr: "No worries my friend, because we have Mathman and Olympia on GS forum! ;)

You are very kind, Deedee1.

Actually, IMHO there is one simple test that goes a long way. If the subject of your sentence relates to figure skating, that's a good post. If the subject of your sentence is another poster, well, that can be a little off topic.

Example:

(a) Joubert is better than Buttle.

(b) No, Buttle is better than Joubert. You are stupid.

Which part is off topic? :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You are very kind, Deedee1.

Actually, IMHO there is one simple test that goes a long way. If the subject of your sentence relates to figure skating, that's a good post. If the subject of your sentence is another poster, well, that can be a little off topic.

Example:

(a) Joubert is better than Buttle.

(b) No, Buttle is better than Joubert. You are stupid.

Which part is off topic? :laugh:

:think::rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's actually secret option number three of demanding things of others ;)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
:laugh: I go to learn. What will be the punishment if anybody doesn't meet the demands? I'm excited...

I am still drafting the code of points for judging the answers of the test! ;)

Back to skateluvr's question-- I think one of the best ways to make this season more fun is to have everyone try skating! I encourage all of you to head out to the rink. If not for group lessons, then even just to take a lap around the ice!

Now, I know that perhaps some are limited, physically. For that, a trip to the rink will help, too! You can see some of the moves up close.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Most of the time I think we do very well. The rest of the time, well, our mods are great and manage to remind us that we are sedate and cultured souls.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There is a bunch of sports where opponents' fans are friendly to each other. The reason is simple- more or less fair judgement. I wonder if it ever will be the case with FS. The rason of unfriendlyness is the corruption of the moder judging system. Naturaly it's kind of naive to ask people to shup up when they see unfairness. It's simply not in human nature.

That is true...in a judged sport where the rules are massive and confusing for many, inknown to many, and have changed a lot, it is a perfect set up for conflict. But MM's funny example hits the nail on the head of all the fights. We cannot call another poster names. We can't say really mean things about a skater. We can however pick on federations because they are all evil and corrupt. I wish i could remember what page of the guidelines I saw that on....;)

Seriously Blubonnet, is there a federation that contests more results and complains more their skaters were robbed than the Russian Federation? Let us recall mens Oly comp 2010. One does not have to go far back. I did say blue that I think most are pretty corrupt but there has been a positive change (because they were forced to change-FS judging) since the SLC scandal. I think the 2006 Oly Podium was fair and so was the 2010 podium. One really must be an insider fly on the wall to see if back room deals are made. In terms of sportsmanship, Russian athletes often come across as "robbed" if they disagree with placement. now, i honestly view it this way and perhaps it is dumb to say this (tho I am one of many with these feelings). It isn't that I want "my country" to win. I want the best to win, whether that is the Russian skater, the USA, the French, or the Canadian.

With the current system, we are having a hard time as the sport has been REDEFINED in many ways. Right now the trend is to reward basic skating skills, speed, transitions in and out of jumps. One can get points attempting a jump even if it ends in face plant. All this gets argued as what is fair, just and representative of the def. of beautiful skating.

I will wager right now that Russia will do all to have the best prepared athletes in Sochi, will win many golds justifiably, but skating is so political that the nature is the host country has an advantage. In an Olympics or WC or even GP event, it is common to see a skater held up and medal (Bronze being a popular medal) from the host country. Politics is somewhat like a game of good manners when done well. Think of it. Russia spends a fortune hosting the world-a real fortune probably better spent on pressing social issues, healthcare, education etc. This is the same as we just saw in GBR. In the judged sports, there is room to juggle the scores to have host Athlete take the podium.

Let us say 2010 was in Sochi- all else was the same- same skaters- the whole thing. Do you think it would be possible, given how close the judged scores were in FS that Evgeni would have a second Gold and not a silver? I think it is entirely possible, even likely, that somehow the judges who are anonymous and who are in fact political beings as we all are, subject to higher powers in the sport, might have found Evgeni's skate a bit better, and simply said, Look at the jumps he attempted and completed and they were worth x.xx. Evan had no quad. Nice skating, but we don't give Olympic gold to quadless men since the 1980's. See my point? In Sochi, there may be a judging scandal in a judged sport. It may be a close result. But to make a stink and file a protest is bad manners with some federations. Culturally, the japanese are less likely to. Would anyone argue that?

And if the numbers are very close, who can argue with anonymous subjective judges -and who wants to upset the host country who has gone into Debt to welcome the world? That is my point. I am sure someone with good research skills could go back through years of FS and find the nations who have contested the results or who have acted very well, upset/angry/disgusted on camera. It won't be me but it might be an interesting study - FS, Gymnastics, Diving-every sport that is judged going back decades. There is a lot of disagreement. And there is leeway to fix the results. CoP was supposed to make that harder, or impossible by judging every little thing.

Do people feel it has fixed the fairness in judging problem? I think it looks in the short run IMPROVED, YES, BUT imho far from the answer to the problem. Personally, I think there is no way to fix entirely due to the the who subjectivity/political thing. So it will always be a debate.

But MM clearly says how to be freindly. And it is hard when some people will personalize, idolize a skater/swimmer/gymnast etc.

I find myself wondering now after reading articles on doping, how clean swimming was. I want to believe we have seen a great athlete over four games who was simply the best at what he does. But now that I have read these articles and have seen the idols fall I just don't know what to think, even in sports where it should be easy to judge "the best." Somewhat OT of this post, but you get my point.

And as I said to Seniorita in forum and off, I love Plush, Artur and many Russian skaters, as well as their amazing culture. Over time though, which Federations behave badly? Perhaps I need to be much more politically correct, but what fun is discussion if you answer every question like a politician? My name isn't Hillary.;) and world peace doesn't hinge on skating contests, thank God.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Let me remind you that there is only one fs federation whose whining and complaints ended up in the second OGM. And no one went so far.

That was when the evil a.k.a. modern judging system started.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But to make a stink and file a protest is bad manners with some federations. Culturally, the japanese are less likely to. Would anyone argue that?

What?! The Olympics has just ended on Sunday. And you've already forgotten its men's team gymnastics?!:laugh: I'm not saying whether the protest was right or wrong. I feel funny you said this because it was no other but Japanese team protested. In women's balance beam, US team protested. (Though they were correct to make the protests and succeeded.)

I think a host country does get some advantages in their favor. Like British diver Tom Daley got the second chance to redo a dive and got bronze in the end. Like British lady gymnast Elizabeth Tweddle's uneven bar bronze. Did British Federation politick in this game? I don't know but I don't think so. I think it's a common curtesy that the judges chose to do things in favor of the host country and their athletes, like Daisuke Takahashi's sky high marks in 2012 team event in Japan. It's not the host country who did any evil politicking or anything like that. US got such advantages too in numerous hostings. It's not just Russians.

Let me remind you that there is only one fs federation whose whining and complaints ended up in the second OGM. And no one went so far.

That was when the evil a.k.a. modern judging system started.

Sure. Only the evil Canadians. Who else would do such a thing!;) But please tell me, why did they listen and change the result and add a gold medal? It must be clear that it was ISU who went that far, not Canadians.

(To make myself clear, I hated the decision of adding a gold medal and I loved the Russian pairs the best.)

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
LoL. I love the part where it says ."And in the interest of lively discussions, we encourage all to be HONEST and not worry about being PC all the time, as we pride ourselves as being the "funnest" FS forum on the net! P_AR_T_Y!!!!!! " Thems are great guidelines!:biggrin::hb:

LOL What message board has that rule?