Thread: Doping

Hybrid View

Doping

Did this have athread? I know there was some discussion, though I do not know who if anyone was found out this Olympiad. I read more about Lance and it seems curent opinion is he was doping because everyone of his competitors were. When he competed, it was easier to get by the testers for EPO among other things. It is very sad if his 7 medals are stripped. Lance was a huge star who transcended sport as he survived cancer that had spread and he gave a lot of people hope. It seems people close to him and team mates have said everyone did this, and this is how he gained an edge, 5% on his closest rivals.

i hope they are wrong. like many people, I felt very sad when Marion jones, who was a huge hero in the black community among others lost her 5 medals.

i don't know if this was discussed elsewhere. I know that it seems to be not much of an issue in FS. Or am I just not informed?
    Last edited by skateluvr; 08-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The one person I've heard of who got caught this Olympics would be Carolina Kostner's boyfriend, the Olympic walker Alex Schwazer. There's a thread about it.

If Bolt is actually clean would he be training with Marion Jone's ex-trainer, the same one who was the key witness in the Balco trial.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...ns-of-ped-use/

"Truthfully, the question should not be whether Usain Bolt or other sprinters are clean, but how do we redefine clean in an era where we are just scratching the surface of what can be achieved with nano-technology and genetics?"

Sadly the drug testing remains incapable of keeping up with the cheating and the acceptable levels are too high.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-12-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If Bolt is actually clean would he be training with Marion Jone's ex-trainer, the same one who was the key witness in the Balco trial.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...ns-of-ped-use/

"Truthfully, the question should not be whether Usain Bolt or other sprinters are clean, but how do we redefine clean in an era where we are just scratching the surface of what can be achieved with nano-technology and genetics?"

Sadly the drug testing remains incapable of keeping up with the cheating and the acceptable levels are too high.

This is one reason I disagree when people say that the judged sports don't belong in the Olympics. I'm sure that anyone can figure out a way to use artificial means in any sport. But in gymnastics, skating, and diving, it takes other skills besides speed and strength to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is one reason I disagree when people say that the judged sports don't belong in the Olympics. I'm sure that anyone can figure out a way to use artificial means in any sport. But in gymnastics, skating, and diving, it takes other skills besides speed and strength to win.
    Just so I don't appear to be picking on the "Paper champion....ooops, make that "Chemical champion" Bolt, his notorius trainer says that 8 out 10 sprinters are using.

But what about swimmers? Is Phelps a cheater too?

Many here never wanted to believe Lance was cheating. Afterall, he is a cancer survivor ........

The other night I was sickened seeing a close up of Rogge in the stands, who had said "$o far the London game$ are a great succe$$.

I think the IOC should hang their collective heads in shame. They know exactly what is going on but as long as the Olympic$ make money not a thing will be done.

eta: Olympia, for sure there are drugs that could help gymnasts and skaters. Just increasing an athletes stamina and recovery time is enough to help them train harder and perform better. Many are already using the legal versions but how do we know if they are not crossing the line.?
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Custom Title
    I understand that it's possible for there to be drugs that help gymnasts and skaters. But because these athletes' excellence doesn't depend solely on "faster, higher, stronger," there may (I hope and pray) be less incentive for their use. After all, increased size and muscle mass isn't in and of itself an advantage to skaters. In fact it's a disadvantage, even with male partners in pairs. If you look like a stiff linebacker hefting your partner, you could lose points.

In terms of the substances that speed up healing, one that I know of, steroids, actually endangers the area of injury in the long term, so it would be counter-productive. I hope that the athletes reason that way, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Just so I don't appear to be picking on the "Paper champion....ooops, make that "Chemical champion" Bolt, his notorius trainer says that 8 out 10 sprinters are using.

But what about swimmers? Is Phelps a cheater too?

Many here never wanted to believe Lance was cheating. Afterall, he is a cancer survivor ........

The other night I was sickened seeing a close up of Rogge in the stands, who had said "$o far the London game$ are a great succe$$.

I think the IOC should hang their collective heads in shame. They know exactly what is going on but as long as the Olympic$ make money not a thing will be done.

eta: Olympia, for sure there are drugs that could help gymnasts and skaters. Just increasing an athletes stamina and recovery time is enough to help them train harder and perform better. Many are already using the legal versions but how do we know if they are not crossing the line.?
    You sounded like that there are no good people and no one has moral standard.

I choose to see the sunny side whether it's "naive" or not. I truly believe most of athletes are clean. A few choose to use illegal drugs and some got away with it but some got caught. You see, my world (in my eyes) is more beautiful than your world (in your eyes).
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 08-14-2012 at 01:47 AM.