Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Closing Ceremonies

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    All I can say is, thank god I didn't watch the NBC broadcast of the closing ceremonies! They apparently cut short their prime time broadcast of the closing ceremonies to show a preview of their new sitcom. Even worse, the part they cut short was the set from legendary rock band The Who, which announcer Bob Costas had been promising all night long. This is just baffling. The whole broadcast took place many hours after the event actually wrapped. The people at NBC had hours to configure, edit and time their broadcast. If they wanted to, they could've easily cut more of the preceding musical acts out to show The Who, the headliner of the whole thing. Instead, nope, they kept in Russell Brand's awful Beatles cover and Fatboy Slim's pointless DJ set rather than show The Who. Best of all, they declined to tell Bob Costas.

If you recall, NBC did the same thing to the Vancouver Olympics closing ceremony, cutting it short to show a preview of Jerry Seinfeld's TV show The Marriage Ref. Yeah, The Marriage Ref. Boy, that sure worked out! There was some hope that after Dick Ebersol got fired from NBC afterwards, this sort of ridiculousness would stop. But nope, NBC is worse than ever.
    I don't know who's responsible, but I'm just glad I didn't give up and turn the channel, because at about midnight, they showed the rest of it. I was also kind of bummed that instead of showing the final footage to the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth, they used generic movie music that they always use for TV film ads before the film's soundtrack has been released. Peeve.

And to interrupt the OLYMPICS for an obvious classic of deathless dramaturgy like Animal Hospital....Be still, my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Where were our gymnasts and Michael Phelps? I didn't seen any Russian gymnasts, either.

As far as the ceremony, it was good but I have seen better. The models on the catwalk weren't necessary, imo. The skating nuns were cute!
    Johar, I read that once the competition of your event is over, it costs money to stay in the Olympic village. So the gymnasts likely scattered based on heir commitments, went elsewhere, returned home. Gabby and the fab 5 have a lot of media appearances. maybe some chose to get on that jet and skip the closing ceremonies. I think some people, want to head home to their families and the parades planned in their towns. I have not been paying much attention but Aly reisman has a lot of fans in two town here who are dying to see her.

I personally don't care about hometown parades. I do know gabby is on Leno tonight, so she has had to make a long trip from Uk to LA. Some could not stay, and some maybe are feeling blue and want to go home and lick their wounds. So many medal hopes dashed.

And I do not get the nun bit. Offensive to some.

I saw some glimpses of Kyla Ross and McKayla Maroney briefly during the NBC coverage of the closing ceremonies, but it looks like all the girls except Gabby were there from this picture. Gabby probably had to fly home early for Leno. Didn't see Michael Phelps, but Missy Franklin was definitely there.

I really would've liked to have see the Who and not that dumb sitcom which will probably be cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    I really would've liked to have see the Who and not that dumb sitcom which will probably be cancelled.
    I am sure "The Who" put on a good show. Having seen them play Live twice I decided to go to sleep. But if I really wanted to see them....I would have stayed up.

Sometimes it's a simple matter of choices......

To be as honest as I can here, if I live 100 more years I will never see even the slightest connection between "The Who" and the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I don't know who's responsible, but I'm just glad I didn't give up and turn the channel, because at about midnight, they showed the rest of it. I was also kind of bummed that instead of showing the final footage to the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth, they used generic movie music that they always use for TV film ads before the film's soundtrack has been released. Peeve.

And to interrupt the OLYMPICS for an obvious classic of deathless dramaturgy like Animal Hospital....Be still, my heart.
    Yeah i loved when NBC used to show the best moments to Beethoven's Ode to Joy. 1996 was the best with the crescendo of the song ending with footage of Keri Strug's now legendary vault landing. Ode to Joy used to be played in the opening ceremonies a lot more also but not in the last few Olympics. It's almost the unofficial Olympic theme.
    Last edited by Jammers; 08-14-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah i loved when NBC used to show the best moments to Beethoven's Ode to Joy. 1996 was the best with the crescendo of the song ending with footage of Keri Strug's now legendary vault landing. Ode to Joy used to be played in the opening ceremonies a lot more also but not in the last few Olympics. It's almost the unofficial Olympic theme.
    Some will remember this from the Opening Ceremony at Nagano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhg-Aw_zMW4

and from the ending credits at Salt Lake City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Flz...eature=related

There was a nice version from Saltzburg but can't find it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2