Best and Worst Moments of the London Games | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best and Worst Moments of the London Games

I was also taken aback by the lack of a tribute. It's not as if these were a group of just any people who died. They were Olympians, taken at the Olympic village, and the event unfolded before our eyes during Olympic coverage. And that was done on purpose by the perpetrators to garner worldwide publicity. What could be more relevant to Olympic history?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Best
I loved Bbc coverage that could watch online whenever I wanted, our 24h coverage and the normal time difference, the opening ceremony up until the steal era and Kenneth Branag, gymnastics team finals and AA, douglas, komova and mustafina, the Pole vault of ladies, the 4x 100 relay of men, Bolt superstar status, Jessica Ennis, team Spain on sychronized swimming, men diving 10m, Uchimura, men finals vault, the marathon, Italy at rythmic gymnastics ensemble and Cyprus winning their first Olympic medal ever!!!

I didnt like Ye Shiwen accusations from known coach, Komova and Douglas at event finals, that we came 9th at rythmic gymnastics and lost Q, that we got only two medals, Iordache unlucky appearance, the closing ceremony- Lenon, Freddie and Bowie mention was great but then Spice Girls, Super models and Take that, really?

I have a lot more to recall now.
:)

There were so many bests. The Queen actually taking part as a Bond girl, the National Health segment, and getting to see all the athletes for the first time. All the competitions had marvelous moments, of course. I loved the rowing and equestrian events when I got to see them. I'm so glad I finally got to view the rhythmic gymnastics; they are simply stupendous.

I'm sorry Greece didn't so so well this time. I always root for them. I was just doing research on Olympic history and read a wonderful eyewitness account of the first modern Games, in Athens in 1896. The reporter was especially excited about the entry into the arena of marathon winner Spiridon Louis. It's so great that the first marathon ever was won by a Greek runner. You guys are about due for another one!

janetfan

Match Penalty
For me, as an American the worst thing about the London games were the ridiculoulsy embarrassing comments made by Mitt "the Twit" Romney. :disagree:

Great and well deserved moments were the follow ups by the Brit PM and the Mayor of London. :agree:

It is easy enough to see who was right :)

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Cultural and social milestones

The Olympic games, in both its ideals and many times in practice, reflect the best progressive and peaceful impulses of society. And indeed, the London games proved to be the most socially advanced and humanistic one yet!

Gender equality:

We've come a long way from the ancient games in which women weren't even allowed to attend! There is still considerable prejudice against female athletes outside of aesthetic sports like figure skating and gymnastics. But the London Olympics did more to change that than perhaps any sporting competition before it.

For the first time ever, every country sent female athletes to the games. There are three Olympic participating countries who never sent female athletes to the games before. In 2012, that all changed, when Brunei, Saudi Arabia and Qatar all realized that women deserve their place in the sun, too. That the spirit of sports, fairness, competition and friendship should not be held back by gender oppression. Yes, it took considerable pressure from the IOC and activists within those countries, but now that the door is opened it's unlikely to ever close again.

For the first time ever, the US sent more female than male athletes to the games. It's fitting that on the 40th anniversary of Title IX (the US law that pushed school sports into giving women better access), female athletes in the US have finally caught up to and even exceeded their male counterparts in the biggest sporting event in the world. And the women more than pulled their weight. 55% of the medals won by the US at these Olympics were won by women! An even larger proportion of gold medals won by the US were won by women! This is especially amazing when you consider that men get over 100 more medals awarded to them at the Olympics than women. US women are the reason the US won the medal count at these Olympics. Unfortunately, in terms of coverage and sponsorship, the women still lag far behind men in the US. But we're getting there!

Gay/bisexual visibility

There were a record 21 openly gay or bisexual athletes at these Olympics, over twice the number of the 2008 Olympics! In addition to the athletes, there were a number of openly gay/bisexual coaches and journalists as well, such as Pia Sundhage, the coach of the US women's football team, and former NBA player John Amaechi, who commentated on basketball matches. This unprecedented visibility shows how much progress gay/bi people have made recently. On the biggest stage in the world, people heralded as heroes and the epitome of physical achievement are freer to be who they are.

The Netherlands' women's field hockey team had four openly gay/bi players, all four of whom participated in the gold medal match. This is the highest number of openly gay/bi people sharing an Olympic podium ever. A win in more ways than one.

France's triathletes Jessica Harrison and Carole Péon are a couple. Which, as far as I can find, marks the first time a same-sex couple competed openly as teammates at the Olympics. There have been opposite-sex teammates and pairs competing together at the Olympics before, of course, but this is entirely new.

Overall, nearly half of all the openly gay/bi athletes at the Olympics won a medal, the majority of them gold! It's heartening to see that coming out did not impede their athletic success.

The lack of transgender visibility

Unfortunately, the T in LGBT got no representation at these games, at all. There were no openly trans/intersex athletes competing. And, as far as I know, there weren't even any trans coaches or journalists involved.

If anything, progress for trans people were set back at these Olympics. The IAAF, the governing body of track and field, started to require female athletes take hormone suppressants to compete if their natural testosterone level is close to that of the average male. This decision has no scientific basis. There is no proof that higher testosterone level gives female athletes an advantage (in fact, there's some proof against it). And even if there were, outlawing natural advantages that an athlete got by dint of birth is ridiculous. What next? Banning tall people from basketball? It's a decision purely based on superstitious notions of gender. It also creates an ongoing witch hunt for intersex athletes.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I was just doing research on Olympic history and read a wonderful eyewitness account of the first modern Games, in Athens in 1896. The reporter was especially excited about the entry into the arena of marathon winner Spiridon Louis. It's so great that the first marathon ever was won by a Greek runner. You guys are about due for another one!

He was a water carrier and he toured his water in the streets of my north suburb where I live in Athens, when you enter my road you see a huge sign with him:cool:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Best moments:

Phelps won his first individual gold medal in this event

Missy Franklin's first gold win

Gabby Douglas's win and her smile

Bolt's wins

US basketball gold match with Spain

Best uniform:

USA

Worst moments:

Opening ceremony

Federer's loss

Too much water polo and beach volleyball coverage

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It is very popular here :) This and diving. Maybe more than swimming. Has cuter guys too.

all I can think of when watching water polo is the head covers look like the inner helmets of the pilots in the original star wars series... and that they legally get to drown one another...

I love watching diving...

Oh, diving's amazing. I love both the individual and the synchronized diving, though a more diabolical sport than synchronized diving I can't imagine. Not only do you have to be perfect in midair, but you have to match someone else in midair...even heavyweight weightlifting has to be easier than that. Stupendously beautiful when done right, in the bargain.

I also find that Cynthia Potter's commentary adds immeasurably to my appreciation and understanding of what I'm watching with any diving.

As for water polo, if ever there was an unsung sport...I don't know anyone who plays it in the U.S., whereas all the other team sports are played in some venue or another over here, in a high school gym or field at least. (We used to play field hockey and volleyball where I went to school.) I mean, they dropped softball because it wasn't popular enough, but they kept water polo....there must be countries where it's huge, but it isn't known much in the U.S. Interestingly, it's been around in the Olympics for quite some time. In the 1956 Melbourne Games, the Hungarian team famously went after the Soviet team to vent their emotions about the Soviet invasion of Hungary that year.

seniorita

Record Breaker
As for water polo, if ever there was an unsung sport...I don't know anyone who plays it in the U.S.,

USA team women won the gold in this Olympics :) :) It is a very popular sport at least n Europe, actually USA and Canada have very very good women teams, it looks like handball in the water, there are some major fights in the pool, I would never guess its participation in Olympics would be jeopardised.

Me on the other hand, I saw softball and baseball in 2004 and had no idea what I was looking at, I cheered when people next to me cheered, it was part of my quest to find out about all the Olympic sports:cool:

all I can think of when watching water polo is the head covers look like the inner helmets of the pilots in the original star wars series...
:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love softball! And water polo is one of those prep school sports - or at least that's what it seems to be - here in the US... very *exclusive*... kinda like (or more so) than figure skating or gymnastics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
How can you not like water polo?:love:

No speed and no beauty. You can't see the full body movements. Only heads with ugly caps on them plus arms and shoulders. The under water fights were ugly like wrestling.

I like diving though.

I probably can never learn to like baseball and softball.

Last edited:
Well, at least I learned something about field hockey. Namely, that there is a position called the pusher-outer.

Not to be confused with the drag-flicker. :)

Now, see, Seniorita, softball/baseball is the only major team sport I actually understand. I can even follow a game on the radio. I know why a player scores, and why he/she is out. It's a function of culture, not of any sports smarts on my part. I grew up listening to the game on the radio. Don't ask me about any of the other games, though.

I do know that the American women won the water polo gold, but I have no idea how players in this country get introduced to the sport.