Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marley and Brubaker part ways

Custom Title
    I was going to say Brubaker should team up with a Baldwin but forgot they are guys and this isn't Blades of glory lol. odd break ups indeed but better now than months from Sochi. too bad he wasn't a dance her could skate with Crone mind you for which country??? but sigh...well the window of opportunity is now there for the second american spot.

I am so shocked by this news. I thought they were really quite promising in their first season together, and was even more impressed this past season. So sorry for this break-up. I wish both of them all the best, and I hope Rockne finds a skating partner with well matched talent/skill ASAP!

Custom Title
    Rats! We just can't find any pairs that will stay together these days. They say that it's so much harder to find a male partner than a female. Poor Rockne gets to be the exception that proves the rule.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Bum-MER! I really enjoyed them and their story last year. It's especially sad for Rockne. I don't know much about him at all, but on the surface he seems like just a great person and a talented, solid skater who deserves a good partner. I am hoping for him. I'll miss Mary-Beth, too. Her progress was fun to watch and I liked the personality she exuded on the ice.

Custom Title
    Oh...sorry for the news. I remember I very much enjoyed this pair's 'full-of-energy' performances at the US Nats and 4CC in the previous season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    With M&B splitting and Amanda Evora retiring, I have hopes for Donlan and Speroff to go to Worlds, if only they can get their jumps a bit better.

If I had to choose D&S or M&B to vote off the island, I'd rather do without M&B, so I am not in mourning here.

Don't forget that there is a new pair: Yankowskas/Reagan. So they might have the chance to go to worlds as well.

Custom Title
    Wow, I did not see this coming and thought we were too far into the off - season for more break ups! Well, I wish them both all the best and did enjoy watching them over the last two years. I can't help but wonder if Yankowskas is wishing....well, never mind and who knows

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Wow, I did not see this coming and thought we were too far into the off - season for more break ups! Well, I wish them both all the best and did enjoy watching them over the last two years. I can't help but wonder if Yankowskas is wishing....well, never mind and who knows
    Yankowskas is a little tall for a pairs skater, and Brubaker is quite short. So, I doubt she has any second thoughts . . . As talented as both are, Caitlin and Rockne just wouldn't be a good match physically.

I feel bad for Rockne. He has not had the best of luck with partners.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    The silver lining is that two US pairs are receiving additional Grand Prix assignments:

"Davis/Ladwig added to 2012 Skate Canada roster, Yankowskas/Reagan added to 2012 NHK Trophy lineup"

per USFSA press release today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48367&type=media

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Don't forget that there is a new pair: Yankowskas/Reagan. So they might have the chance to go to worlds as well.
    That would be deliciously rife with drama - the former partners squaring off for/at Worlds for American supremecy in pairs...

Down With It
    Shocker. Not so much THAT they broke up (although that is somewhat surprising too), but WHEN they did. Right before the start of the season, after new programs have been made, etc.? Most breakups come at season's end...

You just cannot think long-term in US pairs. It's all for the short-term, this season, perhaps even this month. Because it could all be history and then there'll be more shifting around partners next year. Count on it.

I caution posters against getting too invested in Yankowskas/Reagan, Davis/Ladwig...even Denney/Coughlin, for that matter.

I think you're preaching to the choir, RD - I don't think there's a US Pairs fan out there that invests so much in any team... but we can still be frustrated that it "works" this way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You just cannot think long-term in US pairs. It's all for the short-term, this season, perhaps even this month. Because it could all be history and then there'll be more shifting around partners next year. Count on it.

I caution posters against getting too invested in Yankowskas/Reagan, Davis/Ladwig...even Denney/Coughlin, for that matter.
    You are so right, R.D. There are exceptions to this rule--Evora/Ladwig and Castelli/Shnapir--yet the truth is, for most U.S. pairs, three to four years together is the most we can expect.

Many U.S. skating fans seem unfazed by this, taking comfort instead in our success in singles and dance. But if, like me, pairs skating is your favorite discipline, the U.S. situation is tough to take. I know I shouldn't become invested in any of the new pairs, based on our history, but I can't stop hoping!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast