Marley and Brubaker part ways | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marley and Brubaker part ways

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
With M&B splitting and Amanda Evora retiring, I have hopes for Donlan and Speroff to go to Worlds, if only they can get their jumps a bit better.

If I had to choose D&S or M&B to vote off the island, I'd rather do without M&B, so I am not in mourning here.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Don't forget that there is a new pair: Yankowskas/Reagan. So they might have the chance to go to worlds as well.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, I did not see this coming and thought we were too far into the off - season for more break ups! Well, I wish them both all the best and did enjoy watching them over the last two years. I can't help but wonder if Yankowskas is wishing....well, never mind and who knows

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Wow, I did not see this coming and thought we were too far into the off - season for more break ups! Well, I wish them both all the best and did enjoy watching them over the last two years. I can't help but wonder if Yankowskas is wishing....well, never mind and who knows

Yankowskas is a little tall for a pairs skater, and Brubaker is quite short. So, I doubt she has any second thoughts . . . As talented as both are, Caitlin and Rockne just wouldn't be a good match physically.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I feel bad for Rockne. He has not had the best of luck with partners.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Don't forget that there is a new pair: Yankowskas/Reagan. So they might have the chance to go to worlds as well.

That would be deliciously rife with drama - the former partners squaring off for/at Worlds for American supremecy in pairs...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Shocker. Not so much THAT they broke up (although that is somewhat surprising too), but WHEN they did. Right before the start of the season, after new programs have been made, etc.? Most breakups come at season's end...

You just cannot think long-term in US pairs. It's all for the short-term, this season, perhaps even this month. Because it could all be history and then there'll be more shifting around partners next year. Count on it.

I caution posters against getting too invested in Yankowskas/Reagan, Davis/Ladwig...even Denney/Coughlin, for that matter.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you're preaching to the choir, RD - I don't think there's a US Pairs fan out there that invests so much in any team... but we can still be frustrated that it "works" this way.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
You just cannot think long-term in US pairs. It's all for the short-term, this season, perhaps even this month. Because it could all be history and then there'll be more shifting around partners next year. Count on it.

I caution posters against getting too invested in Yankowskas/Reagan, Davis/Ladwig...even Denney/Coughlin, for that matter.

You are so right, R.D. There are exceptions to this rule--Evora/Ladwig and Castelli/Shnapir--yet the truth is, for most U.S. pairs, three to four years together is the most we can expect.

Many U.S. skating fans seem unfazed by this, taking comfort instead in our success in singles and dance. But if, like me, pairs skating is your favorite discipline, the U.S. situation is tough to take. I know I shouldn't become invested in any of the new pairs, based on our history, but I can't stop hoping!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I used to love Pairs but find most of it close to unwatchable in the CoP era.

So much emphasis has been shifted from what made Pairs so special to what seems at times like nothing more than a circus side show.
Great unison is a thing of the past. :disapp:

I always chuckle when I hear protests about "brother/sister Dance teams.
I find that preferable to what looks at times like the "father/daughter" teams seen in Pairs. ;)

The difference in size needed to perform the circus tricks has given us horribly mismatched looking teams.
Only a few of the very top teams occassionally can show a pleasing line.

I like the Germans who are exceptionally creative but even Moskvina, once my favorite Pairs coach seems to have let go of the art in the race for points. How many catch foot moves do we need to see in a program?

Seeing a fully grown man teamed with a prepubescent little girl or a half-starved looking young lady paired with a big hulk of a man can conjure up different images and not all of them are pleasant. :think:

I was sorry to hear about M/B splitting and this post is not directed at them but at the direction of Pairs and the new scoring system.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mary Beth Marley ‏@MAryBEthM19
Hey tweeters, I am back!!!!!! #ithasbeentolong
5:12 PM - 1 Oct 12​

I hope that she is signaling that she is happily moving forward with her post-skating life. :thumbsup:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sounds as if Mary Beth Marley ‏@MAryBEthM19 is in the holiday spirit:

Omg i am already printing out recipes on http://foodnetwork.com to make with my nonna! #thanksgivinglive
9:18 AM - 18 Nov 12

One more day till thanksgiving. It is weird not having to worry about training and enjoying the holidays.
11:53 AM - 21 Nov 12​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's nice she can stuff herself and she won't have to worry about a triple twist or triple toe!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
There was a funny tweet from her the other day.. it said something like "I really love going through puberty... said no one ever." That's not an exact quote, but I'm wondering if a changing body had anything to do with the decision to stop skating.

I always chuckle when I hear protests about "brother/sister Dance teams.
I find that preferable to what looks at times like the "father/daughter" teams seen in Pairs. ;)

That may be the best statement of the situation I've ever heard.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's nice she can stuff herself and she won't have to worry about a triple twist or triple toe!

Mary Beth Marley @MAryBEthM19 also has updated her Twitter profile.
Her mini-bio now says, "former world figure skater, recovering, and trying to find out who i am!"
And her photo is now a portrait shot of her alone. It used to be a two-shot with Ashley Wagner with the ice visible behind them.

And here are more new tweets:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I am so thankful for a family that loves me no matter whatI am thankful for my friends love you all!
5:27 AM - 22 Nov 12​

Geting ready for a run! so i can allow myself to eat some turkey later!!!! haha, hope everyone has a yummy thanksgiving!
5:32 AM - 22 Nov 12​

Sounds as if she is embracing her life off the ice. Best wishes to her!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mary Beth Marley @MAryBEthM19 also has updated her Twitter profile.
Her mini-bio now says, "former world figure skater, recovering, and trying to find out who i am!"
And her photo is now a portrait shot of her alone. It used to be a two-shot with Ashley Wagner with the ice visible behind them.

Recovering from what exactly? :think: That's odd. (that's meant to be rhetorical, not going to speculate)

Anyway it sounds like she's still getting used to being able to eat whatever she wants now that she isn't an elite skater any more.