Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Aly Rasiman floor ex

  1. #1
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521

    Aly Rasiman floor ex

    It seems that Ali chose Hava Na gila music in honor of the Israeli team that died in Munich in 1972. She was Jewish and wanted to express that. She is geting lots of press here and will gets a heros welcome after the 5 do a lot of visits.

  2. #2
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    It seems that Ali chose Hava Na gila music in honor of the Israeli team that died in Munich in 1972. She was Jewish and wanted to express that. She is geting lots of press here and will gets a heros welcome after the 5 do a lot of visits.
    Oh wow that's wonderful! Most often, NBC, BBC, and the others (along with interviews with Aly herself) have said she was doing it to salute her Jewish roots (she's had that FX for two years now). I'm glad she's changed it to be a tribute to Munich.

    I've always loved it when skaters and gymnasts say something with their programs or routines. It lets me know that they do more than just do gymnastics, or skate.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Oh wow that's wonderful! Most often, NBC, BBC, and the others (along with interviews with Aly herself) have said she was doing it to salute her Jewish roots (she's had that FX for two years now). I'm glad she's changed it to be a tribute to Munich.

    I've always loved it when skaters and gymnasts say something with their programs or routines. It lets me know that they do more than just do gymnastics, or skate.
    The interview I heard made it seem it was always a tribute using the music. How can the IOC stop anyone from offering a performance to anyone? And why hasn't the IOC done a tribute llong ago about the Munich murders? I have no clue why'd they be against it.

  5. #5
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,539
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    The interview I heard made it seem it was always a tribute using the music. How can the IOC stop anyone from offering a performance to anyone? And why hasn't the IOC done a tribute long ago about the Munich murders? I have no clue why'd they be against it.
    I that Aly did this, and am incensed with the IOC on their lack of sensitivity re: the Israeli atheletes in Munich.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,000
    Agreed. A snide voice inside me tempts me to believe the IOC just didn't realize that Hava Nagila was an Israeli song, or they'd have asked her to do something else. Good for Aly.

    And she won with it! Two golds!
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-16-2012 at 08:30 AM.

  7. #7
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521
    I truly believe God's hand was on Aly they day she blew the roof off with Hava Nagila. In the old testament, The lord has said "he who blesses Israel, I will bless" and she came home with the most medals when Weiber was more expected. Aly is back in her home gym and will be covered in little gymnasts! Seriously, why was there not a memeorial years ago? Was there some fear of attracting more terrorists. I do not see why they would be against this. Rogge is a strange fellow.

  8. #8
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521
    Latest Aly news! She has been invited to Israel by Israel's Minister of the Diaspora. Her 40 city tour with team begins inn two weeks so this trip is off in the future. She accepted the invite and must be so thrilled as she is so proud of her heritage. Great for her.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,110
    In the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, American gymnast Amy Chow had planned a floor exercise as a "tribute to the South" with music that featured the tune "Dixie." Someone (not an official) complained that this was a bad song because of its association with the Confederacy, so Chow and her coach had to change it.

    (As it turned out, it didn't matter because Chow did not compete on floor anyway.)

  10. #10
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, American gymnast Amy Chow had planned a floor exercise as a "tribute to the South" with music that featured the tune "Dixie." Someone (not an official) complained that this was a bad song because of its association with the Confederacy, so Chow and her coach had to change it.

    (As it turned out, it didn't matter because Chow did not compete on floor anyway.)
    Yes but little Dominique Moceanu took care of it with this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6L8aZRDKcw


    Maybe it was it Bela who complained

    Here is Amy's floor routine to Dixie:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XsvCLESTo
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  11. #11
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,521
    Great blast from the past-not filled with tumbling like todays routines but lots of polish and finesse, even tiny Dominique. That was a thrilling Olympics for gymnastics. It would be nice to have replays of the whole thing. So long ago, I forgot how leggy and tall Amy chow looked. More balletic than the girls today who are so muscled. Looking at Aly and Weiber's upper bodies you just go, wow. How does that happen? Skinny little Gabby took top prize, though. I used to work out a lot but simply was born a skinny minny without the muscles to develop. I have to admist that since the doping articles, I am wondering about everyone, especially Phelps. Misty, the 6foor 1 inch champion swimmer simply is larger than most of the swimmers. She is pretty so does not come across as overly masculine, but she is a huge girl! She is being talked about as the female answer to Phelps and the one swimmer who might equal him if she stays in.

    Aly's gym was mobbed today and she did pose and sign everything they asked of her. I can just imagine that the next Olympics will have a gymnast from that gym, or maybe the one after that. I am glad no gymnasts have ever been caught doping. It would be tragic to find out some 16 year old has his or her own chemist.

    There is still so muc on the news about the stars coming home...it is like London lives on....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •