Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
As others pointed out she did a 2-2. But she did a great Rippon 3Z afterwards. And Lynn Rutherford noted that she had a TON of speed, so that likely help her score as well. It's pretty noteworthy she still got a 59 something and beat Amelie Lacoste, who did a 3F-2T, 3Lo, 2A.

Actually Gracie did a regular lutz. She was practicing a rippon earlier in the week. During the program, after the 2-2 combination she then did a nice, clean lutz - not a rippon. I think she decided that a landed lutz was much more important than a rippon with a possible mistake. My friend and I both commented to each other about it as we watched.

I didn't think her speed was than great. I thought both Zawadski and Gold would want to work on their speed as the season goes on.

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
I didn't think her speed was than great. I thought both Zawadski and Gold would want to work on their speed as the season goes on.

That's interesting, I thought Gracie looked really fast out there, but I wouldn't disagree that Agnes could stand to gain some speed. I think this early on all top three ladies have reason to be proud. If Gracie had hit her triple/triple I would have had her first definitely. She has PLENTY of maturing to do but she relates to the music well. I found myself actually smiling when Gracie was doing her footwork.

To me this was the most impressive I've ever seen Amelie skate. I hope we can look forward to more of that.

You can tell all three ladies like their sp's and that certainly makes it a lot nicer watching them. Can't wait for the free!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually Gracie did a regular lutz. She was practicing a rippon earlier in the week. During the program, after the 2-2 combination she then did a nice, clean lutz - not a rippon. I think she decided that a landed lutz was much more important than a rippon with a possible mistake. My friend and I both commented to each other about it as we watched.

You're right. First real-time glance it looked liked it--but yes, I can see she kept her arms down. She got decent +GOE on it, so it was probably the right move.

You're there and I'm not, so I'm just basing my assertion on what Lynn Rutherford said. That said, I do feel she was pretty speedy, if not super speedy -- I think she was going so fast into that combo, I can see how the timing would be off.

I agree that Amelie had a great performance as well -- don't want to downplay that, just wanted to explain how Gracie managed to get a similar score despite a huge mistake.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Agnes mostly does well in SP and bad FS,
I still think Gracie will win this by the end of FS

also the scores look inflated, Agnes will probably have scored just 60 or 59 by GP or International B competition

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Isn't this event a International B competition?

what I mean B competition not from the US like Nebelhorn, Finlandia etc.

I don't trust these scores they are too inflated like 4CC, remember Wagner's huge scores at that ?
I'd say by International standards Gracie would have scored around 54-56 and Zawadzki around 59-60

so I'd still say Gracie will win this , Zawadzki's FS ususally is....... Not so good,

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am here enjoying myself in Salt Lake City. I just watched the novice free dance and enjoyed all three couples very much. Unfortunately Chloe Lewis fell on their first twizzles. Leonesio and Chambers were very graceful, somewhat slow, tentative in places. Sarah Feng and Anthony Ponomarenko skated very well and certainly should take the outstandingly cute prize for their costumes, choreography, and music. Looking forward to the Senior Free Dance in about an hour and a half.

janetfan

Match Penalty
what I mean B competition not from the US like Nebelhorn, Finlandia etc.

I don't trust these scores they are too inflated like 4CC, remember Wagner's huge scores at that ?
I'd say by International standards Gracie would have scored around 54-56 and Zawadzki around 59-60

so I'd still say Gracie will win this , Zawadzki's FS ususally is....... Not so good,

Yes, of course...all skating fans realize we must go to Euro judges for fair, unbiased and non-political judging ;) :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes, of course...all skating fans realize we must go to Euro judges for fair, unbiased and non-political judging ;) :biggrin:

:sarcasm:, of course I don't trust national scores or some other B competitions, Im not saying everything that is held in Europe
but you've seen the 4CC scores they were mostly inflated last season, of course I don't now if they include Bonus points in this competition

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, the Judges for Salt Lake Senior Ladies SP were:

Judge 1 Diana STEVENS - Great Britain
Judge 2 Andrea DERBY - Canada
Judge 3 Hal MARRON - USA
Judge 4 Delic SIOBODAN - if USFSA meant SLOBODAN, then Greece
Judge 5 Linda LEAVER - USA

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did anyone see the ladies results. Agnes was awesome. Gracie considering her mistakes looks like she will be a huge threat to Ashley and did Canada show a glimmer of hope with Lacoste. I wouldn't get too excited until we see her freeskate though. Especially if her scores in the SP are the best she can do and she still loss to Gracie who had a major mistake. Really Canada needs Rochette or a healthy, confident and technically on Phaneuf. Lacoste though she will have her Canadian fans does not have the it factor of the top or second level skaters. I am not sure if it is even in her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie has made strides to look more mature this year. She seems like she doesn't put her head down and fall apart when she makes mistakes unlike some other US Ladies in recent years.

Ouch! What happened to Chock and Bates in the free dance?

The protocols listed three planned elements as "element not found" -- yet they performed something in that spot and got credit for it. Did they abandon their choreography and just start ad-libbing?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ouch! What happened to Chock and Bates in the free dance?

The protocols listed three planned elements as "element not found" -- yet they performed something in that spot and got credit for it. Did they abandon their choreography and just start ad-libbing?

To see Chock/Bates Salt Lake FD elements, see the excerpt below -- or better yet, the original version at:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2012/68401/SEGM008.html [Scroll down to find them there.]
(Formatting below is garbled because of copying and pasting -- sorry.)

5 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 76.95 35.43 42.52 1.00
# Executed
Elements Base
Value GOE J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6 J7 J8 J9 Panel
Scores
1 CuLi2 2.50 0.00 0 0 0 0 0 2.50
2 STw3 5.00 0.83 1 2 2 1 2 5.83
3 CiSt2 5.00 0.67 1 0 0 1 1 5.67
4 CoSp4 5.00 0.50 1 1 1 1 1 5.50
5 SeLi4 8.00 0.33 0 0 1 0 1 8.33
6 RoLi3 3.50 0.00 -2 1 0 0 0 3.50
7 DiSt2 5.00 -1.00 -1 0 -2 -1 -1 4.00
8 ChLi1 0.20 -0.10 -2 -2 -2 -1 -1 0.10
Total BV: 34.20 Total elm. score: 35.43

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Evan had two significant breaks at the end of the program. One was a stumble at the end of a step sequence. The other was a near fall at the end of a lift where he was on one foot with some of her weight on the lifted free foot. He didn't fall but they were very noticeable. Both were balance issues.

Spilband was there with Klimova as the other coach. I hadn't heard she was working with him. Maybe I missed it before. I was surprised to see Spilband comforting Evan after the program. It's an aspect of Igor I haven't seen before.

I thought the Dance results were accurate.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think the Klimova arrangement is part time , like Fusar-Poli ( if I'm not mistaken ) .. So , a rough break for C/B then , since they're obviously capable of better than that.

Happy for P/I ..obviously on their way back from a disasterous year .. and pleased that the point differentiation between them and G/P is , at least on paper , rational ( not the case at last year's Nationals ).

Nice result for Lynn and Logan, too . I'm not always a fan of their music choices , but very much a fan of their skating.