Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Per his post on Chris Caluza's facebook page (and per our conversation during practice the other day), Luis Hernandez has withdrawn from the SLC B, because of two fractured toes. YIKES!

mskater93

Record Breaker
As of today - one week before the official practice day - Salt Lake Figure Skating's Facebook page indicates that the club still is begging and begging its members to volunteer to help during the competition.

I realize that this competition is new, but the subtext seems to be that the rank-and-file club members are underwhelmed by the opportunity to participate in a senior international event. :eek:hwell:
This is not surprising. It is a very SMALL club (I believe the president told me it's ~ 50 total members when I talked to him before). They hosted US Adult Nationals in 2011 and got lots of outside help from other Olympic sport groups in SLC for their volunteer base (and I believe they had the "volunteer list" from 2002 Olympics, too, that they contacted for help). Considering this begins on Wednesday and their skaters are in school, it will be hard to get them there to work it. I bet they have Saturday's and Sunday's work schedule full (and likely even Friday evening).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sorry if my previous post about volunteers was unwarranted. Glad that the club has plenty of outside resources too. :)

To redeem myself (I hope), here are:
- a competition preview (mostly about ice dance, with a brief mention of pairs) from IN
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38310398&vkey=ice_news
- USFSA's competition notes re Team USA
http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/09/11/2012-u-s-international-figure-skating-classic-notes/

Not unwarranted, I know how hard it is to organize volunteers for this kind of thing, especially on week days, and I wanted people to understand the circumstances as well! :) I am sure that at some level "volunteering is mandatory, that is all...." is happening.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
First flight of the SD is over

Editing this now that the SD is over

1 Chock & Bates 62.89
Igor & Marina...Klimova that is, in the Kiss & Cry
Chock in a terrible outfit
Very nice circus program-kept the story going through out

2 Kriengkrairut/Giuletti Schmitt 56.49
Ring of Fire & Elvis I Can't Help Falling in Love With You
Nice Yankee Polka-experience counts. Ring of Fire works well for it for timing purposes.
One of their unique lifts.
Twizzles could be better, and the ending was stumby with Logan putting a hand down-deduction?
Still a great outing for them to be in second!

3 Gilles & Poirier 55.98
Death of a thousand dance cuts from Mary Poppins.(Feed the Birds, Spoonful of Sugar, ChimChim Charee It's no wonder the Yankee did not gel. Paul is still noticeably a lot better than Piper, and both looked nervous. Paul stumbled near the beginning of the step sequences, and I'll bet they suffered on the level there. The ending lift -they got through it but it wasn't smooth yet, and will no doubt improve in later outings.
Barely ahead of Paul & Islam

4 Paul & Islam 55.86
The beat of MiLord didn't help them in the Yankee Polka
Twizzles kind of spinny for the second & third set.
Otherwise, very well done.

5 Heekin-Canedy & Dun UKR
I think the music was from Titanic, a waltz, and the Irish jig music for the Yankee Polka. A decent performance. Second set of twizzles was out of synch.

6 Jones & Sharpe GBR 43.17
How I don't know-I expect they got more credit for the Yankee than the teams below them in the scoring. Jones fell, too. They skated to Edelweiss and Polka'd to Lonely Goatherd.

7 O'Brien & Merriman AUS 42.97
Cute as bugs to Cotton Eyed Joe and Old Country Waltz. The performance looked better to me than this score would indicate.

8 Cannuscio & McManus 42.10
This program hasn't gelled yet. The Yankee Polka wasn't top notch and although I'm cautious about this with internet streaming, I though their timing was all over the place on the polka, and the twizzles were messy. The music for the polka did them no favors.

9 Plutowska & Gerber POL 41.99
If Gerber hadn't had trouble with his foot in the twizzles, they'd be ahead of Cannuscio/McManus at this point. He is not as good as Plutowska. Igor & Klimova in the KnC

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, Doris!
Funny thing is that at first US Figure Skating sent an inaccurate tweet (that they later replaced) saying that C/B were in first place -- and that Lynn and Logan were in third.
But I knew better because I had seen your thorough post. :) [I do not subscribe to IN, so don't have firsthand knowledge.]

IN also is posting photos from SLC:
- Backstage gallery (only five photos so far; #3 is Shpilband + Judy Blumberg in K and C with novice dancers)
- Junior men's short at U.S. Challenge Skate

And BTW, this is a preview story from yesterday about the Senior Dance competition:
http://ice-dance.com/150-events/pre...he-senior-isu-season-begins-at-salt-lake-city

samson

Medalist
Congrats to Chock and Bates! I can't wait to see videos from this! It looks like this is a new personal best for Chock and Bates by 8.98 point. They have got to be really happy with that. (previous PB was 53.91 at Finlandia) I'll be interested to see if these scores seem at all inflated to others but either way what a great score for them.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Congrats to Chock and Bates! I can't wait to see videos from this! It looks like this is a new personal best for Chock and Bates by 8.98 point. They have got to be really happy with that. (previous PB was 53.91 at Finlandia) I'll be interested to see if these scores seem at all inflated to others but either way what a great score for them.

They do seem inflated , over 60 for a middle ranked team is :eek: but With these new minimun scores needed to be reached, I wouldnt be surprised the scores this year will be all round higher.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen, at his first JGP outing, scored higher (75.13) than the Salt Lake City Senior B top scorer, Max Aaron (74.69) :eek::eek:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IN also is posting photos from SLC:
- Backstage gallery (only five photos so far; #3 is Shpilband + Judy Blumberg in K and C with novice dancers)

The backstage gallery now has 13 photos.
My favorite is the first one, which shows a cluster of eleven skaters (incl. P/B, W/P, Hubbell, Abbott, Balde) back home at the Detroit Skating Club absolutely glued to a single laptop screen to watch the SLC Short Dance.
[BTW, the Shpilband photo mentioned above now is #4, plus Klimova and he are in #11 with Chock/Bates.]​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting that Chock and Bates are so far ahead and either Paul and Islam have improved a lot or Gilles and Poirier skated poorly. The US men are dominating and Canada looks to be in trouble with Jeremy Ten. I think Canada was looking to see if Jeremy would have a break through but he still underperforms - inconsistent triple axel (not really there) and only tried a triple loop not the flip and still got a deduction all while underperforming artistically. Yes, it is early but one would think Jeremy would have been hungry after last year. Canada had better hope Reynolds makes some huge in roads or they can say good bye to 3 men - which is logical as the US were horrible at worlds last year and that will not happen again.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Hmmm..I wish I could have seen this.. It was somewhat reassuring that P/I and G/P were marked so closely ( unlike at Canadians last year )..until I looked at the protocols.. and realized that P/I's technical mark was second only to C/B , and in the polka ( which had been my worry for them )they hit the same number of key points as both C/B and G/P and had no timing infractions .. their step sequence was a level higher, than G/P and they had a higher GOE on their twizzles and rotational lift .... and yet in the interpretation / timing section of the PCS, ( and in fact, in all of the PCS ) G/P were given the advantage.. I have yet to see G/P's SD..but I must say having seen both couples FDs and their performances at last year's Canadians..I'm a tad dubious .

I think the FD should be very interesting ...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
P&I had the disadvantage of going first, in the first warm up group. They may do better in the FD.

Also, The French Waltz to Foule & Polka to Milord to Piaf really doesn't give them the opportunity to get the bounciness & perk that the Yankee Polka is supposed to have. While the waltz was lovely, the polka kind of fell flat.

Last edited: