Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic)

Custom Title
    Given where it falls in the list of events for that day, I'd say it's a typo.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    LOL, had not noticed that.
    The previous version of the official schedule had Senior FD at 11:30 am ... so seems that the authorities responsible for publishing the latest revision forgot to change a.m. to p.m. when changing the time to 12:40.

Preview blog post re US International Figure Skating Classic:
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...tional-season/
    [Although it's from a USFSA website, the preview covers skaters from many countries.]

ETA:
    Too bad that the blogger thinks Kristen is the first name of Moore-Towers.
    And the blogger fails to mention Jeremy Ten.
    Skate Canada's preview of its entries: http://www.skatecanada.ca/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1926/language/en/Default.aspx

IN's streaming schedule, which includes the Classic's senior events + US Challenge Skate's junior and novice events:
    Last edited by golden411; 09-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'll be blogging from the event this weekend! Hopefully, the lighting will be good so I can get lots of photos.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I'll be blogging from the event this weekend! Hopefully, the lighting will be good so I can get lots of photos.
    Yay. That means I don't have to feel guilty if I'm too tired to post. Enjoy the trip.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Per his post on Chris Caluza's facebook page (and per our conversation during practice the other day), Luis Hernandez has withdrawn from the SLC B, because of two fractured toes. YIKES!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Oh dear. That's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    As of today - one week before the official practice day - Salt Lake Figure Skating's Facebook page indicates that the club still is begging and begging its members to volunteer to help during the competition.

I realize that this competition is new, but the subtext seems to be that the rank-and-file club members are underwhelmed by the opportunity to participate in a senior international event.
    This is not surprising. It is a very SMALL club (I believe the president told me it's ~ 50 total members when I talked to him before). They hosted US Adult Nationals in 2011 and got lots of outside help from other Olympic sport groups in SLC for their volunteer base (and I believe they had the "volunteer list" from 2002 Olympics, too, that they contacted for help). Considering this begins on Wednesday and their skaters are in school, it will be hard to get them there to work it. I bet they have Saturday's and Sunday's work schedule full (and likely even Friday evening).

Sorry if my previous post about volunteers was unwarranted. Glad that the club has plenty of outside resources too.

To redeem myself (I hope), here are:
    - a competition preview (mostly about ice dance, with a brief mention of pairs) from IN
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    - USFSA's competition notes re Team USA
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...classic-notes/
    Last edited by golden411; 09-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Streaming schedule for the Salt Lake Senior B on icenetwork

Sept. 13th

11:00 a.m.: Novice pattern dance
    11:40 a.m.: Junior men's short program
    2:15 p.m.: Senior short dance
    4:00 p.m.: Senior men's short program
    6:45 p.m.: Novice ladies short program
    8:00 p.m.: Novice pairs short program

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Sorry if my previous post about volunteers was unwarranted. Glad that the club has plenty of outside resources too.

To redeem myself (I hope), here are:
    - a competition preview (mostly about ice dance, with a brief mention of pairs) from IN
    - USFSA's competition notes re Team USA
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...classic-notes/
    Not unwarranted, I know how hard it is to organize volunteers for this kind of thing, especially on week days, and I wanted people to understand the circumstances as well! I am sure that at some level "volunteering is mandatory, that is all...." is happening.

Icenetwork has an article with interviews with Armin & Ross, Gracie & Agnes

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford even tweeted this yesterday:
    I am in SLC for the skating competition this week, so if anyone has any questions/requests, let me know.
    3:35 PM - 12 Sep 12

ETA:
    Nice story (by Mimi Whetstone) about skating fans who have made the pilgrimage to the SLC competitions:
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...tands-in-utah/
    Last edited by golden411; 09-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

First flight of the SD is over

Editing this now that the SD is over

1 Chock & Bates 62.89
    Igor & Marina...Klimova that is, in the Kiss & Cry
    Chock in a terrible outfit
    Very nice circus program-kept the story going through out

2 Kriengkrairut/Giuletti Schmitt 56.49
    Ring of Fire & Elvis I Can't Help Falling in Love With You
    Nice Yankee Polka-experience counts. Ring of Fire works well for it for timing purposes.
    One of their unique lifts.
    Twizzles could be better, and the ending was stumby with Logan putting a hand down-deduction?
    Still a great outing for them to be in second!

3 Gilles & Poirier 55.98
    Death of a thousand dance cuts from Mary Poppins.(Feed the Birds, Spoonful of Sugar, ChimChim Charee It's no wonder the Yankee did not gel. Paul is still noticeably a lot better than Piper, and both looked nervous. Paul stumbled near the beginning of the step sequences, and I'll bet they suffered on the level there. The ending lift -they got through it but it wasn't smooth yet, and will no doubt improve in later outings.
    Barely ahead of Paul & Islam

4 Paul & Islam 55.86
    The beat of MiLord didn't help them in the Yankee Polka
    Twizzles kind of spinny for the second & third set.
    Otherwise, very well done.

5 Heekin-Canedy & Dun UKR
    I think the music was from Titanic, a waltz, and the Irish jig music for the Yankee Polka. A decent performance. Second set of twizzles was out of synch.

6 Jones & Sharpe GBR 43.17
    How I don't know-I expect they got more credit for the Yankee than the teams below them in the scoring. Jones fell, too. They skated to Edelweiss and Polka'd to Lonely Goatherd.

7 O'Brien & Merriman AUS 42.97
    Cute as bugs to Cotton Eyed Joe and Old Country Waltz. The performance looked better to me than this score would indicate.

8 Cannuscio & McManus 42.10
    This program hasn't gelled yet. The Yankee Polka wasn't top notch and although I'm cautious about this with internet streaming, I though their timing was all over the place on the polka, and the twizzles were messy. The music for the polka did them no favors.

9 Plutowska & Gerber POL 41.99
    If Gerber hadn't had trouble with his foot in the twizzles, they'd be ahead of Cannuscio/McManus at this point. He is not as good as Plutowska. Igor & Klimova in the KnC
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks, Doris!
    Funny thing is that at first US Figure Skating sent an inaccurate tweet (that they later replaced) saying that C/B were in first place -- and that Lynn and Logan were in third.
    But I knew better because I had seen your thorough post. [I do not subscribe to IN, so don't have firsthand knowledge.]

IN also is posting photos from SLC:
    - Backstage gallery (only five photos so far; #3 is Shpilband + Judy Blumberg in K and C with novice dancers)
    - Junior men's short at U.S. Challenge Skate

And BTW, this is a preview story from yesterday about the Senior Dance competition:
    http://ice-dance.com/150-events/prev...salt-lake-city

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast