Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City Senior B (Int'l Figure Skating Classic)

She'll have it sorted by Nationals

skating philosopher
    So pairs is over. North American sweep pretty much.

United States: 2 golds, 2 silver, 3 bronze = 7
    Canada: 2 golds, 2 silver, 1 bronze = 5

Also, I wanted to say I really like Zhang/Bartholomay. I know they've been under the radar given some of the anticipated debuts of other pairs, but despite the mistakes I really enjoyed their program. I really like their look and I think they have a load of potential. I think Zhang works a lot better with this partner than Toth.

Custom Title
    Amelie actually had a decent skate with 4 triples and no falls. Bummer that with a TES of 47.99 she JUST missed the 48.0 cut-off. She must be livid! Hopefully that motivates her going forward.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    Amelie actually had a decent skate with 4 triples and no falls. Bummer that with a TES of 47.99 she JUST missed the 48.0 cut-off. She must be livid! Hopefully that motivates her going forward.
    I agree -- I think all the brouhaha that she dealt with last season really put a fire under her. I think she'll get the TES requirement done at another event.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I agree -- I think all the brouhaha that she dealt with last season really put a fire under her. I think she'll get the TES requirement done at another event.
    How Amélie Lacoste ‏@melipetit reacted via Twitter:

Woohoo! 3e à ma première compétition internationale de la saison! ... mais 47,99 points en technique????? Ahhhh :((
    5:06 PM - 16 Sep 12

@melodiedore oui... J'avais besoin de 48 points... C'est un clin d'oeil aux juges ça!
    5:31 PM - 16 Sep 12

I'm happy for all the Ladies on the podium, but esp. for Zawadzki and Lacoste - who did not let all the anticipation of and excitement over Gold discourage them.

skating philosopher
    Photo of Agnes and Gracie, who both wore blue, via Gracie's Twitter:

http://instagram.com/p/PqGXbsLAvN/

Both look beautiful!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 09-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Gracie won the long program; I am not sure this is the right music; maybe she should have gone something more age approriate. Remember Baiul and the broadway tunes of course she did show she could skate to Swan Lake or whatever swanny music lol. Agnes didn't totally crumble and Amelie Lacoste did okay as well for Canada meeting her goals for minimum scores it seems. She will be Canada's hope as Joannie won't return if she has to skate individually she only wants to be a team skater so I guess she is out UNLESS the rules allow her to only skate in the team - it looks like if Canada only has one lady and even if Rochette won 2014 nationals if she came second or first and they let someone else skate the individual event she might qualify but that is if Canada only has one spot and they use it for another lady and Joannie is next in line - I am thinking creatively and from the rules I heard - if it were two spots then Joannie would not have a chance because the first or second representative I think according to the rules or drfted rules would have to skate. A lot of rules to look at to manipulate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Congratulations to Agnes on winning the Ladies event.

Gracie won the LP but Agnes won overall by a point.

Amelie finished 10 points behind in 3rd.

Results are up at icenetwork

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...1/results.html
    thanks, a bit disappointed Gracie did nto win, she can outperform Zawadzki anyday, but I know she'll do better and be well prepared by the Grand Prix

She either needed to stay vertical on the 3F or land one of the triples in the combo in the SP....

Custom Title
    Chock and Bates had huge problems in the freeskate; I wonder just how good Gilles and Poirier are versus Paul and Islam? Of these three teams it appears C and B have the nod as to who is best but are G and P able to close the gap. Can they get past the Russians and italian couple as well forget about Weaver and Poje and current world bronze medalist P and B. The pairs was rather meh. Nice effort from the Canadians - not a lot of magic though. No one can evoke the magic of G and G or the Protopoovs right now. S squared are nice but not my cup of tea and V and T are getting better - they need bigger tricks to compete with the Germans and work on their entrances and exits for more points. No one is wowing but it is early.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    thanks, a bit disappointed Gracie did nto win, she can outperform Zawadzki anyday, but I know she'll do better and be well prepared by the Grand Prix
    Like Gracie said no one is clean this early in the season. She doesn't seem to dwell on her mistakes. Remember even though Agnes is only about a year older then Gracie she's got a lot more experience. But i think Gracie will pass her up soon. Her score if clean would had be been huge.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    skaterboy..This is not so much an answer to your questions re: ice dance , as adding my voice to your queries .. With so much going on at once, and SLC having restricted viewing..we could be waiting a while for much feedback.

I couldn't see any of this , but just looking at the protocols, I feel simultaneously a bit encouraged and a bit duious about the respective results for G/P and P/I...

Encouraged, because the margin between them is small , and within reasonable possibility of a flip on any given day . ( This is sort of what I would have expected at last year's Canadians. However ... depressingly , last year's Canadians was not a fair competition , due to the splitting of the events for TV viewing purposes and, in ice dance , the truly shameful overmarking of G/P .) ..

Dubious , because the PCS handed out in the SD at SLC seems somewhat incongruous to me ..

In the FD , Paul had a stumble , which won't always be the case... OTOH, P/I had mediocre levels on their footwork , which I imagine they're entirely capable of improving , along with a general strengthening of their programs , presentation and technique throughout the season.

Looking at the international picture, barring injuries and other disasters, and assuming everyone , not just G/P, has improved ,to some degree.. I don't see how G/P could surprise, or pass any of the top 10 couples from last year , though the order of finish within that top 10 could be shuffled about.

And, of course we'd have to add a C/B not in meltdown mode, or possibly K/G-S into the mix as well .
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Custom Title
    MY guess is that the marks were high across the board at SLC, luckily for those who were looking for a minimum score. In ice dance we were looking at a group that didn't make it to Worlds last year, and I think I am safe in assuming that none of them will be threatening the top ten, this year. The Canadian teams both need to work on their polkas and footwork, and I'm sure we'll see some improvement from both teams. We are not justified, IMO, in thinking there has been a huge improvement in P/I or a bad skate by G/P, I rather think the quirky judging at Canadians has been held up to the light of day.

Custom Title
    Interesting how people see the same competition, in different ways . . . I thought Paul and Islam had improved markedly over last season, particularly in their lifts. However, also thought Gilles and Poirier clear winners in SLC -- more difficulty, more speed, greater dynamism, more innovation. Goes to show dance will always be somewhat subjective.

Also didn't think the tech panels or judges were overly generous, particularly in the singles' and pairs' events.

Custom Title
    I wonder how the skating skills of G/P will be assessed by a judging panel with more European content. There is an obvious differnce in quality between the two partners, and I'm not certain every panel will judge them according to the stronger partner.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast