Worst injury of an adult skater | Golden Skate

Worst injury of an adult skater

Dreaswi

Rinkside
What is the worst injury you have had or have seen another adult skater sustain?

I am currently under rehab for a broken ankle with a deltoid ligament tear. I have also had a broken wrist.

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
How did you get injured? I hope you heal up quickly and that there is no permanent affect on your skating.

This is a thread about worse fall - might not be worst injury, who knows? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...rst-fall-you-ve-seen-someone-at-the-rink-take

The first response was from me - it was a pretty bad injury. I had 2 spiral fractures simultaneously in my right leg, one of which required 2 surgeries and had a metal plate to hold the bone together. I couldn't go back to skate for 2 years. Now there is permanent damage that is keeping me from being able to skate properly, so there is probably little to no chance of me being able to pass any kind of test. All I was doing was standing still talking to someone and my foot turned... now I am afraid to stand still on the ice.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I fell doing a two foot spin. My coach and I were starting a new program. We got 8 counts in and down I went. I have had 2 surgeries, the first to insert a plate in the fibula with 6 screws. The second was to repair the torn deltoid ligament. I just started physical therapy this week. My doc and therapist said I should be skating at the new year. I still need one more surgery to take the plate and screws out. Doc never said I would be out for a year when the hardware comes out. I don't know if I could handle being away another year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jajPNro49vE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
in December 2010, I tripped and hit my two lowest right ribs on the ice. It was the most painful injury(skating or otherwise) I ever had. It was the third time this happened in 24 years of skating. I couldn't breathe for about 10 seconds. Whether I cracked the ribs(probably) or injured nearby muscles, the result is the same: all I could do is stay at home and lay in bed most of the time for six weeks. This fall, I may finally return to skating, despite relatives who would prefer that I not.(my aunt says that I should just watch skating on T.V.!) Part of the problem is that the nearest rink is a city government youth center facility(not my city) that imposes surcharges on non-residents, and has(for the past four years) locked the general public out during June,July & August(excepting Saturday night which is crowded and useless). And, in the fall, winter & spring, the amount of daytime public skating has been reduced over the years due to budget cutbacks. I like daytime sessions because they don't use the disco lighting, which i find disconcerting. The only other rinks are 60 miles in one direction or 30 miles in another direction. The one that's 30 miles away(in the county north of mine) is in a place that is no longer safe for me to go, after a mistaken identity incident in 2002.

treesprite

Final Flight
I hope your injury was not to your jump landing leg.

I think the time off was longer for me because the tibia is the primary weight bearing bone. The metal plate end was rested right on top of my inside ankle bone, so there is bone overgrowth which is like a small secondary ankle bone on top of the ankle bone. The lower incision (there were two) is directly along side of that ankle bone, so I was left with damaged support tissue and dead nerves. I now have pronation that keeps me from holding an outside edge, and the dead nerves make it very hard to get my skate the proper tightness so I have to get on and off the ice several times to adjust it.

I ended up the subject of a special medical presentation (I wasn't there, just all the x-rays and photos), because apparently use of two incisions instead of one to install a metal plate on that particular bone area had never been done (or at least not documented and communicated to the medical community). They changed my cast twice and both times had extra people come in to look and take pictures.

I hope that your healing is thorough enough to not leave you with any of these after effects. I am inclined to think that bone overgrowth in your ankle area may be a potential future issue when it comes to how your skate feels on your foot.

Did they get your skate off properly or did they ruin it to get it off of you? The paramedics were going to cut my new boot to get it off, but a skating friend who was a nurse came over and rescued me - they let her take it off the normal way, just cut the laces.

Last edited:

Dreaswi

Rinkside
In response to Phil: we have a 40 something skater that drives about 60 miles one way. She does this a few times a week.

Treesprite: I hope and pray I don't have complications that you experienced. I'm having nerve issues as well but the are superficial. I can feel pressure and temperature. I want the hardware out before I even go back. It already bothers me while being in the walking boot. Not sure which is my landing leg as all I have learned at this point is a waltz and working on a salchow, both of those land on my right (good ankle).

treesprite

Final Flight
That would be your landing leg. You should not have any problems with landing jumps when you get back on the ice.