Russian National Team Skating Trials | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian National Team Skating Trials

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I suspect S/S are far too original for what you are used to seeing.
Let's face it...all Russian teams are based on the same concept for half a century now...."we can skate and we are in love."zzzzzzzzzz

More open cultures can imagine creativity going in more than one theme and direction.

But if you live to only see ice skating teams "in love"...then no doubt the Russian teams will be best for you.

Others may see things through a wider spectrum.

The Duchesnays showed everybody the possibilities decades ago....and most of the world eventually got it.....

I'm not saying I like all of them, for me just from the current pairs, V/T have an exceptional connection to each other

Last edited:

babayaga

On the Ice
Let's face it...all Russian teams are based on the same concept for half a century now...."we can skate and we are in love."zzzzzzzzzz

More open cultures can imagine creativity going in more than one theme and direction.

But if you live to only see ice skating teams "in love"...then no doubt the Russian teams will be best for you.

The Duchesnays showed everybody the possibilities decades ago....and most of the world eventually got it.....

It appears that the main purpose of this post is to insult. While purporting to discuss sky_fly20's preferences in presentation, janetfan speaks in inane generalities and ad hominem attacks. Most programs of Stolbova/Klimov, Ilushechkina/Maisuradze, and last year's short program of V/T, to name a few, give the lie to Soviet-like uniformity among current Russian pairs.

hanca

Record Breaker
It appears that the main purpose of this post is to insult. While purporting to discuss sky_fly20's preferences in presentation, janetfan speaks in inane generalities and ad hominem attacks. Most programs of Stolbova/Klimov, Ilushechkina/Maisuradze, and last year's short program of V/T, to name a few, give the lie to Soviet-like uniformity among current Russian pairs.

Don't worry about janetfan; if you read this forum, you will notice that she is a bit anti-Russian, but there is no need to take her seriously.

janetfan

Match Penalty

No, my intention was to express my views as I see them.

I don't see any Russian Pairs teams - or other Pairs teams for that matter - as creative as S/S.

The fact that every second of every program by S/S is not devoted to showing "we can skate and are in love" makes me appreciate them even more.

Creativity I fear is wasted on some...... :scratch:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Don't worry about janetfan; if you read this forum, you will notice that she is a bit anti-Russian, but there is no need to take her seriously.

Yes ...and that is why I make it clear Adelina is my favorite up and coming lady skater.

Hello..... :)

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes, janetfan, at the same time you couldn't resist to kick a 13 year old Radionova down. Gold is so brilliant, she skates so much better than Radionova... :rolleye:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Speaking of Adelina, der LP is out too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDNc_1OAXs&feature=plcp

And I fear I'm one of the few people to actually kind of like this :biggrin:
Really, it's far from being a masterpiece, but bad layout and music cuts and everything aside - Adelinas skating is still beautiful, and I think she makes it work. I like it more than her last years Liebestraum, and that step sequence at the end is fun... besides she looks more confident to me than she did last season. Maybe it's because she has grown up so much. Still thinking she will have a great season :yes:

Edit: ops, sky_fly was faster - sorry ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, janetfan, at the same time you couldn't resist to kick a 13 year old Radionova down. Gold is so brilliant, she skates so much better than Radionova... :rolleye:

Yes...that must be it. I could not resist "kicking" Ravionova..... :sarcasm:

A simple comparison is all it was. Duh.....

Sorry if it was more than you could handle....:rolleye:

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plush said in an interview today, that he has few options long and short programs.

While I love S/S and deeply admire their innovation, and they're currently my favorite team, I'd argue that this statement is a very narrow interpretation of the Russian style. In fact, the Russians are probably the ones who deepened pairs skating so it could show any emotion and artistry. Since 1964, most of the advances in both technique and artistic expression have come from the Soviets and then the Russians. Before that, skating was mostly a bunch of brothers and sisters skating together doing the same moves at the same moment with identical body lines and smiles. Moreover, Ingo Steuer, S/S's coach, who's responsible for most of Aliona and Robin's artistic advances, was trained in East Germany in the old Soviet style, so S/S owe a huge debt to Russian skating.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
While I love S/S and deeply admire their innovation, and they're currently my favorite team, I'd argue that this statement is a very narrow interpretation of the Russian style. In fact, the Russians are probably the ones who deepened pairs skating so it could show any emotion and artistry. Since 1964, most of the advances in both technique and artistic expression have come from the Soviets and then the Russians. Before that, skating was mostly a bunch of brothers and sisters skating together doing the same moves at the same moment with identical body lines and smiles. Moreover, Ingo Steuer, S/S's coach, who's responsible for most of Aliona and Robin's artistic advances, was trained in East Germany in the old Soviet style, so S/S owe a huge debt to Russian skating.

Well yea...that's why I said going back for half a century......which to those who know skating history gave the Russians their due.

But times change...what was innovative a half century ago is by my standards more or less dull these days.

It is the reason we see maniacal hatred for the Shibs from certain Russian fans......
They just can't cope with a team that is different. :disagree:

Sorry folks....I don't watch skating for romantic motivation. :laugh:

If every soccer team played with the same style I would get bored just as quickly.

"Oh look at us, we can skate...and we are in love".....gimme a break already :biggrin:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker

Typically incorrect blanket statement: :rolleye:

http://youtu.be/a_qJq2cvOYc

http://youtu.be/ZWocoMOYu4I

http://youtu.be/fa8jAzeJWL8

http://youtu.be/Jti4obxh7lo

http://youtu.be/jG0xzSflgSk

http://youtu.be/yO1gEtdQo30

...and many more.

By the way, Stolbova/Klimov are a young Russian team, but they have some of the most interesting choreography in the pairs field today. If they progress and stay on the competitive scene as long as S/S, I have little doubt that their repertoire will rival S/S's in creativity.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sotnikova looked great! :thumbsup: Except the lutz at the beginning, she landed all of her triples, excellent spins (as always) and good energy all through the program, I enjoyed it a lot more than when she performed it at the Moscow Junior competition... if she skates like this in international competitions, she can easily make the GPF this year!
Mr. Wilson did a great job with Gachinski, his skating skills and the overall choreography now look a lot better, he seems Artur now, not just Plushy's heir!

Macassar88

Medalist
Actually, when I saw this new position in the spin in the first version of the dance, I thought she made a mistake and accidentally dropped her foot. :) It looks like they do the new version on purpose now, but I agree her donut was nice.

That's what I thought too. I was disappointed.
At least her other positions are beautiful! And maybe they will give her the donut position once the program matures a bit? They may have taken out the donut position because she made a mistake on it last comp?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Typically incorrect blanket statement: :rolleye:

OK, you got me there..... and I am sure you could show more examples. I was referring to Dance more than Pairs (note reference to the Duchesnays and Shibs).

So out of thousands, maybe tens of thousands of programs 1% might fall into a different category than "love on the ice." :think:

Here is a program I never forgot because it seemed - if not mocking - then it was certainly challenging the Ice dancing establishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker

Thanks a lot!

And I fear I'm one of the few people to actually kind of like this.

No worries, my friend. I'm another one of that few people. :biggrin:
Loved Adelina's LP. Yes, much MUCH better than last year's Liebestraum!
But overall choreo (and her opening pose) somehow reminds me of Dai's Klook. ;) Who did her choreo, Madame Tarasova?
One of the reason I love Adelina among current Russian girls is she skates BIG. And it was the same reason I loved Shizuka and YuNa. Female skaters do not necessarily have to skate/project cutie, feminine or sexy all the time, I would believe. (Did you hear me, Nikolai?)

Also loved Artur's SP.
I agree with you, FSGMT. I have noticed Artur is becoming of himself. finally. :yes:
Don't get me wrong, but his skating, especially his crossovers bothered me a bit in the past. He skates like a senior skater now. He should move either 3Lz or 3A to the second half, I think.

As for Evgeni's LP, what is the program? :confused: Is this really Miyamoto's Romeo+Juliet?? Or, the other LP choreo done by Camerlengo???
Since when he went for 4S in the actual program? He IS still the King! Who else at the age 30 can jump all the triples including 3A like no sweat?! :rock:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Loved Adelina's LP. Yes, much MUCH better than last year's Liebestraum!
But overall choreo (and her opening pose) somehow reminds me of Dai's Klook. ;) Who did her choreo, Madame Tarasova?
One of the reason I love Adelina among current Russian girls is she skates BIG. And it was the same reason I loved Shizuka and YuNa. Female skaters do not necessarily have to skate/project cutie, feminine or sexy all the time, I would believe. (Did you hear me, Nikolai?)

:

I like Adelina's LP much better after seeing the new clip.

I agree that she "skates big" whether it is her jumps, bodyline and extensions and certainly her expression.

Hope she stays healthy and has a great season.