Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian National Team Skating Trials

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I suspect S/S are far too original for what you are used to seeing.
    Let's face it...all Russian teams are based on the same concept for half a century now...."we can skate and we are in love."zzzzzzzzzz

More open cultures can imagine creativity going in more than one theme and direction.

But if you live to only see ice skating teams "in love"...then no doubt the Russian teams will be best for you.

Others may see things through a wider spectrum.

The Duchesnays showed everybody the possibilities decades ago....and most of the world eventually got it.....
    While I love S/S and deeply admire their innovation, and they're currently my favorite team, I'd argue that this statement is a very narrow interpretation of the Russian style. In fact, the Russians are probably the ones who deepened pairs skating so it could show any emotion and artistry. Since 1964, most of the advances in both technique and artistic expression have come from the Soviets and then the Russians. Before that, skating was mostly a bunch of brothers and sisters skating together doing the same moves at the same moment with identical body lines and smiles. Moreover, Ingo Steuer, S/S's coach, who's responsible for most of Aliona and Robin's artistic advances, was trained in East Germany in the old Soviet style, so S/S owe a huge debt to Russian skating.
    Last edited by Olympia; 09-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I hope they bring back her donut position instead of the first camel one she does.
    http://youtu.be/veiyWu9onzE?t=3m11s
    This one
    Actually, when I saw this new position in the spin in the first version of the dance, I thought she made a mistake and accidentally dropped her foot. It looks like they do the new version on purpose now, but I agree her donut was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    While I love S/S and deeply admire their innovation, and they're currently my favorite team, I'd argue that this statement is a very narrow interpretation of the Russian style. In fact, the Russians are probably the ones who deepened pairs skating so it could show any emotion and artistry. Since 1964, most of the advances in both technique and artistic expression have come from the Soviets and then the Russians. Before that, skating was mostly a bunch of brothers and sisters skating together doing the same moves at the same moment with identical body lines and smiles. Moreover, Ingo Steuer, S/S's coach, who's responsible for most of Aliona and Robin's artistic advances, was trained in East Germany in the old Soviet style, so S/S owe a huge debt to Russian skating.
    Well yea...that's why I said going back for half a century......which to those who know skating history gave the Russians their due.

But times change...what was innovative a half century ago is by my standards more or less dull these days.

It is the reason we see maniacal hatred for the Shibs from certain Russian fans......
    They just can't cope with a team that is different.

Sorry folks....I don't watch skating for romantic motivation.

If every soccer team played with the same style I would get bored just as quickly.

"Oh look at us, we can skate...and we are in love".....gimme a break already
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I suspect S/S are far too original for what you are used to seeing.
    Let's face it...all Russian teams are based on the same concept for half a century now...."we can skate and we are in love."zzzzzzzzzz

More open cultures can imagine creativity going in more than one theme and direction.

But if you live to only see ice skating teams "in love"...then no doubt the Russian teams will be best for you.

Others may see things through a wider spectrum.

The Duchesnays showed everybody the possibilities decades ago....and most of the world eventually got it.....
    Typically incorrect blanket statement:

http://youtu.be/a_qJq2cvOYc

http://youtu.be/ZWocoMOYu4I

http://youtu.be/fa8jAzeJWL8

http://youtu.be/Jti4obxh7lo

http://youtu.be/jG0xzSflgSk

http://youtu.be/yO1gEtdQo30

...and many more.

By the way, Stolbova/Klimov are a young Russian team, but they have some of the most interesting choreography in the pairs field today. If they progress and stay on the competitive scene as long as S/S, I have little doubt that their repertoire will rival S/S's in creativity.

Sotnikova looked great! Except the lutz at the beginning, she landed all of her triples, excellent spins (as always) and good energy all through the program, I enjoyed it a lot more than when she performed it at the Moscow Junior competition... if she skates like this in international competitions, she can easily make the GPF this year!
    Mr. Wilson did a great job with Gachinski, his skating skills and the overall choreography now look a lot better, he seems Artur now, not just Plushy's heir!

Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    Actually, when I saw this new position in the spin in the first version of the dance, I thought she made a mistake and accidentally dropped her foot. It looks like they do the new version on purpose now, but I agree her donut was nice.
    That's what I thought too. I was disappointed.
    At least her other positions are beautiful! And maybe they will give her the donut position once the program matures a bit? They may have taken out the donut position because she made a mistake on it last comp?

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Typically incorrect blanket statement:

OK, you got me there..... and I am sure you could show more examples. I was referring to Dance more than Pairs (note reference to the Duchesnays and Shibs).

So out of thousands, maybe tens of thousands of programs 1% might fall into a different category than "love on the ice."

Here is a program I never forgot because it seemed - if not mocking - then it was certainly challenging the Ice dancing establishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    And I fear I'm one of the few people to actually kind of like this.
    No worries, my friend. I'm another one of that few people.
    Loved Adelina's LP. Yes, much MUCH better than last year's Liebestraum!
    But overall choreo (and her opening pose) somehow reminds me of Dai's Klook. Who did her choreo, Madame Tarasova?
    One of the reason I love Adelina among current Russian girls is she skates BIG. And it was the same reason I loved Shizuka and YuNa. Female skaters do not necessarily have to skate/project cutie, feminine or sexy all the time, I would believe. (Did you hear me, Nikolai?)

Also loved Artur's SP.
    I agree with you, FSGMT. I have noticed Artur is becoming of himself. finally.
    Don't get me wrong, but his skating, especially his crossovers bothered me a bit in the past. He skates like a senior skater now. He should move either 3Lz or 3A to the second half, I think.

As for Evgeni's LP, what is the program? Is this really Miyamoto's Romeo+Juliet?? Or, the other LP choreo done by Camerlengo???
    Since when he went for 4S in the actual program? He IS still the King! Who else at the age 30 can jump all the triples including 3A like no sweat?!
    Last edited by deedee1; 09-16-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post

Loved Adelina's LP. Yes, much MUCH better than last year's Liebestraum!
    But overall choreo (and her opening pose) somehow reminds me of Dai's Klook. Who did her choreo, Madame Tarasova?
    One of the reason I love Adelina among current Russian girls is she skates BIG. And it was the same reason I loved Shizuka and YuNa. Female skaters do not necessarily have to skate/project cutie, feminine or sexy all the time, I would believe. (Did you hear me, Nikolai?)

:
    I like Adelina's LP much better after seeing the new clip.

I agree that she "skates big" whether it is her jumps, bodyline and extensions and certainly her expression.

Hope she stays healthy and has a great season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post

As for Evgeni's LP, what is the program? Is this really Miyamoto's Romeo+Juliet?? Or, the other LP choreo done by Camerlengo???
    :
    No, miyamoto. Mishin and Evgeni t said that the program that miyamoto did to them they did not like.

The Plushenko´FS is SOOO horrible.... The first two minutes are soporific, and the last parts it is ridiculous.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ No they didnt say anything about RJ program, where and to who did they say this about Miyamoto if you have a source please.

Interview of Plush, video and translation:

-I have a few SP and FS. I sometimes skated one program at a test skate and a different one in competitions. So, It's possible that at competitions you will see another FS.

- My health is fine, I feel well. It's good that I was operated last season. They put some tupes in my spinal, "burn" nerves (I was sleeping under drugs at that moment) and then for 4 dyas they injected some liquid in my spinal.
    -( about competitons) I don't need GP events. My main goal is OG 2014. Soon I'll take part in Japan Open. It's like GP for me (in the sense of competitors I assume- *letsy). Then I'll skate at RN, then if things are fine- at EC, and if I can- at WC, maybe at WTT. You know, guys who are 18-20yo they need GP to skate themselvs out. I don't need it. GP is not a "title" event. Well, of course it's an opportunity to earn some cash. But I am not skating for money now. I skate to enjoy this special atmosphere. I am well-off enough in financial sense. The most important now- don't get injuried, the main target- Sochi 2014. At the same- to skate at EC and maybe at Worlds. (about Worlds- 2013)- I don't know now, we'll see. Maybe I'll go, as well as to WTT.

-Health is my main current concern. My another coach V. Balykin is working hard on that. We were two weeks in Italy and there besides FS training I played golf for 6 hours a day. Golf helps me a lot to relax, to calm down, it's a good focus-game, a lot of walking, for 10-15 km. We are working seriously on my physical conditions and now I am satisfied with the result.

- (about comebacks, with the smile) You know, I wouldn't mind if Alexei Yagudin and Timothy Geobel return, and all the rest. I am just doing my job. I am happy that Johnny is back, it's a great move of him that will give a good wave of interest to figure skating. When Lysacek is back, when I see him at cmpetitions, then I'll tell he did a great thing either.

- (on the quetions that media there is writing that Lysacek wants to beat Plush on the Russian territory, with the irony) You know, I feel indifferent what they write about me. I see the ice in front of him, I have 4S to land, as well as two 4T and two 3A and other stuff to skate. That is what I am thinking about. And what they write is their problem. I don't care.
    Last edited by seniorita; 09-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    No, miyamoto. Mishin and Evgeni t said that the program that miyamoto did to them they did not like.
    Excuse me, sweetheart but your source is? People said that they said and blah-blah... and no source. Darling, that's libel, and the names of at least three people involved. I admire you folks!
    No reliable source in the internet mentions what your said. Actually, no source at all, only gossips in rumours on other boards.

The video interview that Plu gave after Test Skate is on youtube and I posted the English translation on the Plu thread. Enjoy. No word about Miyamoto at all. He said that they have a few FS and a few SP. It's a norm for him to skate different programs and it's possible that he will skate another prog at competitions. I personally think that Kenji stuff they stashed for Sochi. But as you see I say it's my guess only. I don't say they said it like you do.

The Plushenko´FS is SOOO horrible.... The first two minutes are soporific, and the last parts it is ridiculous.

What? Where did you read this? What you said is "unreal" (I can say another word) my firend. But i understand why you said this, of course.... I can see how are born bad things about Plushy..
    Last edited by plushyfan; 09-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Custom Title
    I've never heard of such a thing, not even rumours.
    Could you post a link to a source?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast