Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What are the Greatest Moments of Ladies Figure Skating for you?

Here was a decisive moment from the '76 Olympics called by Dick Button with other interesting footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwiLcbwGoo

This was a great moment for me and many American fans as it put Dorothy ahead of her chief rival in the race for the OGM.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-21-2012 at 11:14 AM.

On the Ice
    I personally think they should bring back patch. That is the true test of the quality of a skater.

Last edited by christinaskater; 08-22-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Custom Title
    The one that comes to my mind immediately is Midori Ito's 1988 Olympic long program, even more than her triple-axel at the 1989 World championships, although that was a great moment as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I've always really liked this performance. It's the perfect example of the joy in skating that we've been robbed of with CoP. In comparison, Sarah Meier's winning performance at 2011 Euros was a really sad affair for me - terrible program and she was rather tepid throughout; she just happened to skate mostly clean during a competition where everyone else skated like poop.

You can see how much more effective Sebestyen's performance is in EVERY regard, a lot of which was because of the greater amount of freedom she had under that scoring system - the spins all worked much better with the music and as individual pieces of choreography, the footwork sequence was fantastic and FAST in a CLEAR LINE across the ice, the jumps were huge and she attempted EVERY different Triple jump (as compared to Meier only doing Lutz, Flip, Salchow), the spiral sequence was better (Sebestyen achieves a nice position and doesn't have to hold it for 6 seconds for no reason), and throughout the whole performance the choreography was interesting and right to the music. Look at all of the little steps she does that interpret music, including the backwards steps throughout the program that form a cohesive whole and give the program character. CoP has no room for that with all of the required spin positions and required body convulsions in the footwork...too much time needs to be dedicated to those elements instead of other movements. Sebesyten even has better transitions in that 2004-era program as compared to Meier's program (which had NO transitions directly into any elements), LOL!
    I remember that competition with such pleasure also, but your analysis brings even more of it out or me. Wasn't it wonderful seeing the entire arena singing the Hungarian national anthem as the flag went up?

I just went back and watched it. That footwork is just so perfect for the music, echoing the intensity and drive of the tango rhythm. Even if Sebestyen weren't one of my favorite skaters, I would have been exhilarated by this program and its splendid outcome.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan wins her 5th World Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfluAux0Sf0

Medalist
    Mao Asada's 2009 World Team Trophy SP " Clair de Lune"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

The first 3A-2T done by a lady in SP. I saw it in front of my eyes, the tension in the arena and her nervous face before she went for it are just unforgettable. Not only that, the rest of the program was breathtakingly beautiful. We felt as if we were in the tender moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaka View Post
    Mao Asada's 2009 World Team Trophy SP " Clair de Lune"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

The first 3A-2T done by a lady in SP. I saw it in front of my eyes, the tension in the arena and her nervous face before she went for it are just unforgettable. Not only that, the rest of the program was breathtakingly beautiful. We felt as if we were in the tender moonlight.
    Thanks for posting that beautiful clip of Mao.

It must have been even more amazing to see it Live.

I dunno....has there ever been a more graceful skater than Mao Asada?

Custom Title
    It's impossible to compare, but Mao is certainly one of the most graceful skaters ever. She's breathtaking. What's more, it's astonishing to find someone with such athletic capabilities who also has musicality and suppleness. In the opera world, they would call her a prima donna assoluta. When I watch her, I feel that I'm on a different (and better) planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    It's impossible to compare, but Mao is certainly one of the most graceful skaters ever. She's breathtaking. What's more, it's astonishing to find someone with such athletic capabilities who also has musicality and suppleness. In the opera world, they would call her a prima donna assoluta. When I watch her, I feel that I'm on a different (and better) planet.
    Thankyou Olympia as always for the well needed assist.

Custom Title
    She's definitely near the top of my Forever List. Glad to join you in praising her!

Down With It
    For me, there is one moment and one moment only that stands out from the rest:

Tara Lipinski beating out Kwan for OLY gold in '98.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    For me, there is one moment and one moment only that stands out from the rest:

Tara Lipinski beating out Kwan for OLY gold in '98.
    Interesting . . . . It was certainly a memorable moment in ladies' figure skating. I cannot say it was a great moment for me--more like a moment of greatest heartbreak, as a Kwan fan--but certainly, it was a night I will never forget!!

Midori Ito's sp at 1991 worlds. So heartbreaking. First, she suffered a collision with Laetitia Hubert during a practice. Then, in the short program, she placed her jump combination too close to the corner of the rink and fell into the opening in the boards for the television camera. But during the performance she was smiling and skating with such joy.
    Her long program from 1990 championships was also one of the greatest for me.

1991 sp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0qx...watch_response

1990 lp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H6PfFr59M

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast