Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yu-na unveils new programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    ITA. the 25th was glorious, but I too prefer the 10th anniversary cast. Ruthie Henshall (I think this was her name) sings the best ever "I dreamed a dream" and there must be 100 artists on youtube doing their darndest. She was perfect, the voice, the face. No one is better in that role. And Lea Salonga was so incredible as Eponine. I agree Michael Ball remains the best Marius ever. There will never be a lead like Colm for me. He is the pivotal character off which every other in that production found the perfection he lead with. Amongst all the exquisite Jean Valjean's that have traversed the world with this musical I feel from the angels of music, he is just so moving. "Bring him home." never fails to have me clutching at my heart and tissue. I just love him.
    Ruthie Henshall is a great singer with great technique, but actually I prefer Patti Lupone's more emotional and character driven version. It felt more genuine and just scream maternal love to me and less studied.

I agree about Lee Salonga, she is a total legend as Eponine. If I recall, she sang 'On my Own' to her first Miss Saigon audition, and of course nailed it! She might not have the street urchin sass of the original cast Eponine (with London east end accent), but her Eponine's vulnerability and pure voice made her character far more captivating and sympathetic than Cosette.

I do understand what SB mean about the humanity aspect of the musical requires voices to persuade how you feel about something, but then I think Les Mis is one of the strongest melodic musical around, one that is familiar with most people. Many musicals usually rely on 2 or 3 big numbers, rest are practically fillers, and follows more or the same motif. Les Miserable has consistently able to produce distinguishable memorable big numbers to cover different characters and themes, it is a musical with a dozen number 1 hits. It has so many possibilities. The first time I watched the musical, I didn't understand a word of English, but remained haunted and devastated by it just from the music and the performances alone. A great figure skating performance should be capable of that too, though certainly handicapped in that aspect (plus all the COP tick boxes). Jeremy is doing 'Bringing Him home', can't wait, I just love his 'life is beautiful'.
    Last edited by os168; 08-22-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post

I agree about Lee Salonga, she is a total legend as Eponine. If I recall, she sang 'On my Own' to her first Miss Saigon audition, and of course nailed it! She might not have the street urchin sass of the original cast Eponine (with London east end accent), but her Eponine's vulnerability and pure voice made her character far more captivating and sympathetic than Cosette.
    Slightly off-topic, but now that Lea is older (she does not look it!), the producers have cast her in the role of Fantine, which has that haunting "I Dreamed A Dream." I think it's fitting. She began her career portraying Kim, a young innocent girl forced to grow up. She was Eponine for a while, a young woman who dies for her unrequited love. Now she's Fantine, a character who has lived through what Kim and Eponine have faced.
    Last edited by blue dog; 08-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.

El Tango de Roxanne, now as an exhibition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y-Z_iTC3ZI

She actually executed a 3Lutz in an exhibition program--she hasn't done that in years. I also love the new dress.

ETA: A different vantage point that covers the whole rink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLAFe2_Ug8
    Last edited by Krislite; 08-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but now that Lea is older (she does not look it!), the producers have cast her in the role of Fantine, which has that haunting "I Dreamed A Dream." I think it's fitting. She began her career portraying Kim, a young innocent girl forced to grow up. She was Eponine for a while, a young woman who dies for her unrequited love. Now she's Fantine, a character who has lived through what Kim and Eponine have faced.

I love Lea Salonga! She is a legend!

Thank you, Kristlite:D All I can say is that this is sooooo much better than I ever thought before. Yuna's maturity is totally dominating and conquering this tango!

Not gonna lie, I hated the old dress to this (El Tango de Roxanne) program, but I love, love, love this one!

Custom Title
    So glad she added that 3Lz in the program. Yuna is steadily working on getting back her form. Also good that she threw in the 3S because she's going to need it with the "no three 2A" rule. My guess is that her program is going to have the following elements:

3Lz+3T
    3Lz
    3F
    3S
    3S+2T+2Lo
    2A+3T
    2A

She might change one of the 3S into a 3F, but we'll see...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    So glad she added that 3Lz in the program. Yuna is steadily working on getting back her form. Also good that she threw in the 3S because she's going to need it with the "no three 2A" rule. My guess is that her program is going to have the following elements:

3Lz+3T
    3Lz
    3F
    3S
    3S+2T+2Lo
    2A+3T
    2A

She might change one of the 3S into a 3F, but we'll see...
    Hopefully not - her last combo (2A-3T) wouldn't count. The skaters can repeat only 2 types of triples in her program; in the above layout she would be repeating 3 (3Lz, 3S and 3T).

Custom Title
    I'm so thrilled that she's plainly been working on her skating like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    Hopefully not - her last combo (2A-3T) wouldn't count. The skaters can repeat only 2 types of triples in her program; in the above layout she would be repeating 3 (3Lz, 3S and 3T).
    The layout from her free program in Moscow is more likely.
    3lz-3t / 3s-2t-2lo / 3f / 2a-2t-2lo / 3lz / 3s /2a

I really don't like that Yuna cannot showcase her humongous 2a-3t without loop:(

Day 3 Roxanne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qebK6CdGBco. Perfect this time!

THE DRESS IS STUNNING! She is a beauty for sure. I noticed tho her speed was not there. Yuna needs that and to fly into her 3/3's to make them huge. I know it isn't gonna happen, but her extensions/spirals are wobbly, the edge wasn't strong and I winder if her back is hurting as her Ina is not what it was. Granted, it was never like Shizuka but was more back bend and held out. Still, for a show program, she did some work. The rose position screams Sasha and that bias cut is perfect for her body type. Hated the old dress, love the new.

Still, the old Yuna must be back to compete with stars who took her place, esp. the Russian horde. She will give her best, that I am sure. Go Yuna!

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    3lz-3t / 3s-2t-2lo / 3f / 2a-2t-2lo / 3lz / 3s /2a(
    It can't be this either because you've got 2 three jump combinations which would invalidate the second one of those. Probably the second pass is 3S+2T

^ Oh, that's right. It was 3s-2t.

I love this new Roxanne dress, too. You see how those beads sparkling with her every move? And her position in that layback was a real surprise. I wonder if she'll incorporate those gorgeous positions in actual competition and sure hope so! Still four months away until her first competition in December, so I guess by then she'll be fully herself, or more, in every aspect of skating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast