Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2012 Oct 3 - Oct 6

Banned
    Martiusheva/Rogonov won the FS and bumped Berton/Hotarek to silver in over all
    still problem with SBS but they did 3S : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZyJzQbKtEg&feature=plcp
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 10-06-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I had to take a nap while waiting for the scores..So..W/P only hit 3 out of 6 KP, and a deduction for an extended lift.

I'm just guessing, but they looked a teensy bit slower than usual getting into postion , but they wouldn't want to cut the rotation short ?.. anyway , should be fixable .
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 10-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Custom Title
    I do NOT like W/P's SD. Every move is SO predictable and boring. The program would be very suitable for a junior team---which W/P are definitely not. How did their coaching team come up with this dreck?

Even the crowd didn't seem any too enthusiastic, and they were the class of the field.

Video?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I do NOT like W/P's SD. Every move is SO predictable and boring. The program would be very suitable for a junior team---which W/P are definitely not. How did their coaching team come up with this dreck?

Even the crowd didn't seem any too enthusiastic, and they were the class of the field.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Video?
    Look up a few posts ----#27. The link is there.

Banned
    Video?
    here is Weaver/Poje SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4tixqY9aw&feature=plcp

I would never thought I would say it but for the first time I would say Bobrova/Soloviev has the better SD than Weaver/Poje

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    here is Weaver/Poje SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4tixqY9aw&feature=plcp

I would never thought I would say it but for the first time I would say Bobrova/Soloviev has the better SD than Weaver/Poje
    Thanks for the link
    Let's see how Bobrova and Soloviev get scored at Finlandia, but I agree that they have the better SD. Although I feel like Weaver and Poje should get bonus points for changing into Navii for bits of the dance - very original.
    About Weaver and Poje's SD, I was disappointed. This is exactly the type of dance I feared would be popping up like weeds when I heard that YP was the pattern. I don't think that it's bad, and I think that they skated it pretty well, but I fail to see any originality. Even their lift is reminiscent of Malade.

Still optimistic about their FD though.

Custom Title
    Video?
    It has been posted earlier on the thread. Scroll back.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The season is not over. They have plenty of time to make changes.

Custom Title
    First, I'd like to see Andrew put his tie back on. Even though they say a handsome man looks good in anything, the necktie gave him a subtle military touch. Second, I'd love to see them hit all the key points in the polka. Third, a slightly more creative lift would be an asset. Otherwise, I love that they have chosen to interpret an orchestral suite, rather than cut and paste bits of a movie score. And, of course, tomorrow will tell the tale, but I assume this is intended to set off their modern free dance.

I've been sort of hanging back, here.. For me ,W/P's SD doesn't come up to either of their past 2 SDs..but I have such an aversion to SoM ( same thing with Mary Poppins ) that I don't trust myself to be totally objective. ( I felt the same way about V/M's Funny Face last year , and look how that turned out).

As I said, there were some choreographic touches I liked, and I'm not really tired of the lift yet , because Andrew gets up such speed,it's still pretty cool looking. I can always do with a minimum of mime ( if not an absence ), I suppose I can live with the flower - picking ... but if they were, as I feared , shading their eyes and gazing off into the distance at the phrase that would correspond to " Fa - a long , long way to run " .. someone deserves a major choreography demerit.

I'd prefer a change , but we won't see one before Skate America , whatever happens , I suppose ... OTOH , if they skate the wheels off it, who knows what the judges will do ?

I like so few of these SDs , I can't wait to be done with them...But what will they do next ?

ETA: Yes , bring back the tie !
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 10-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Custom Title
    I liked W/P's SD. Granted, I dont think it has the wow factor that some of their programs have in the past, but it's lovely and elegant and it suits them well. I really love the way the music is cut, I think the costumes are really nice, and I like the choreography, particularly through the straight line step sequence. That being said, I thought they looked a little slow and clunky, and didn't look fully committed to the performance yet, all of which are to be expected at this point in the season. I have no doubt that all of that will improve over the season (as W/P have always had a tendency to do so, and peak at the end of their season), and I think that once they perform it with the proper level of speed and enthusiasm, it will be really effective.

I can't say much about W/P yet because at this competition they just didn't look fully prepared so the dance will probably look a lot better in a few weeks. However, the random music cuts annoy me. This is a SHORT dance so there is even less time than in the free dance yet they used maybe 4 or 5 different songs from The Sound of Music in that short amount of time. It just did not feel coherent and a bit hectic. I would have stuck with two or three different songs, which is what most people do. Here, I have nothing against W/P since they are great. It's the dance itself that bothers me.

Custom Title
    I thought they used one piece of music, not random cuts. Colleen, I'm with you regarding mime, or 'acting out' as I secretly call it. Vocal music seems to bring out the worst of it, as when the skater lip-syncs , but also air-guitar, air-piano, etc. I laugh when skaters open an imaginary door and step through, or try to do an action for each word of a lyric. And I find it particularly hilarious when they walk into a bar, pick up two girls , and get punched in the head. I do not rule out, however, the possibility of an interesting short program of white-face mime a la the buskers we have all seen.

ETA: I hope W/P's touches of mime were not suggested at HPC.
    Last edited by slipslidin; 10-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.

If the music was multiple cuts , it might bother me.. but it's obviously a medley of selections from SoM arranged and played as one piece...hence no abrupt, awkward changes , one piece segues into the other...the kind of thing the Boston Pops has done with probably every Broadway musical ever written ... definitely a "cut" above..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast