Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2012 Oct 3 - Oct 6 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2012 Oct 3 - Oct 6

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I've been sort of hanging back, here.. For me ,W/P's SD doesn't come up to either of their past 2 SDs..but I have such an aversion to SoM ( same thing with Mary Poppins ) that I don't trust myself to be totally objective. ( I felt the same way about V/M's Funny Face last year , and look how that turned out).

As I said, there were some choreographic touches I liked, and I'm not really tired of the lift yet , because Andrew gets up such speed,it's still pretty cool looking. I can always do with a minimum of mime ( if not an absence ), I suppose I can live with the flower - picking ... but if they were, as I feared , shading their eyes and gazing off into the distance at the phrase that would correspond to " Fa - a long , long way to run " .. someone deserves a major choreography demerit.

I'd prefer a change , but we won't see one before Skate America , whatever happens , I suppose ... OTOH , if they skate the wheels off it, who knows what the judges will do ?

I like so few of these SDs , I can't wait to be done with them...But what will they do next ?

ETA: Yes , bring back the tie !

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I liked W/P's SD. Granted, I dont think it has the wow factor that some of their programs have in the past, but it's lovely and elegant and it suits them well. I really love the way the music is cut, I think the costumes are really nice, and I like the choreography, particularly through the straight line step sequence. That being said, I thought they looked a little slow and clunky, and didn't look fully committed to the performance yet, all of which are to be expected at this point in the season. I have no doubt that all of that will improve over the season (as W/P have always had a tendency to do so, and peak at the end of their season), and I think that once they perform it with the proper level of speed and enthusiasm, it will be really effective.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I can't say much about W/P yet because at this competition they just didn't look fully prepared so the dance will probably look a lot better in a few weeks. However, the random music cuts annoy me. This is a SHORT dance so there is even less time than in the free dance yet they used maybe 4 or 5 different songs from The Sound of Music in that short amount of time. It just did not feel coherent and a bit hectic. I would have stuck with two or three different songs, which is what most people do. Here, I have nothing against W/P since they are great. It's the dance itself that bothers me.

slipslidin

On the Ice
I thought they used one piece of music, not random cuts. Colleen, I'm with you regarding mime, or 'acting out' as I secretly call it. Vocal music seems to bring out the worst of it, as when the skater lip-syncs , but also air-guitar, air-piano, etc. I laugh when skaters open an imaginary door and step through, or try to do an action for each word of a lyric. And I find it particularly hilarious when they walk into a bar, pick up two girls , and get punched in the head. I do not rule out, however, the possibility of an interesting short program of white-face mime a la the buskers we have all seen.

ETA: I hope W/P's touches of mime were not suggested at HPC.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
If the music was multiple cuts , it might bother me.. but it's obviously a medley of selections from SoM arranged and played as one piece...hence no abrupt, awkward changes , one piece segues into the other...the kind of thing the Boston Pops has done with probably every Broadway musical ever written ... definitely a "cut" above..;)

conskate

Spectator
It's working for me.

Also, what time is the free dance scheduled for?

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Kaitlyn and Andrew just went! My stream crapped out for a chunk of it, but I really liked the program. She's wearing a gray dress with tights - very light gray, not my favorite costume.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Kaitlyn and Andrew just went! My stream crapped out for a chunk of it, but I really liked the program. She's wearing a gray dress with tights - very light gray, not my favorite costume.

Weaver & Poje just took my breath away. The program was stunning. They looked much more comfortable with this than their SD. It's a shame you missed part of it, because the program had this gorgeous flow from beginning to end. Wow.

As for the costumes, I don't love her's either, but the impression I got watching the program was that she was a statue coming to life, so I think it fits the theme.

Macassar88

Medalist
Weaver & Poje just took my breath away. The program was stunning. They looked much more comfortable with this than their SD. It's a shame you missed part of it, because the program had this gorgeous flow from beginning to end. Wow.

As for the costumes, I don't love her's either, but the impression I got watching the program was that she was a statue coming to life, so I think it fits the theme.

yeah i felt the same about the statue coming to life thing, but I think they could have done better.
And yeah I loved the stuff that I saw and can't wait for video!

slipslidin

On the Ice
Weaver and Poje created a spell, once again. Their program is full of beautiful, original moves, and I thought the only thing wrong with Kaitlyn's costume was that she seemed uncomfortable in it. She was fussing with it all through the warm-up, and it was still bothering her in the kiss and cry. Andrew looked like a dream, and so will she, once that skirt gets organized. I loved the progam.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek: My vid glitched big time in the middle.. but what I saw I liked... I hope there'll be a better Youtube..:scowl:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ooooh, I like this new W/P program! Original and well-choreographed. Interesting choice of music I also love her costume for this concept.

Piglet7

Spectator
:) C & B didn't skate for GB. Aiken/Whidborne did X
That's a rather disappointing field, on the whole.
Weaver and Poje are headlines in dance, but I guess Coomes & Buckland will medal.
No US competitors in dance at all. No US ladies or any other US teams.

The Men's competition looks like fun, though.

Mark WEBSTER AUS

Mario Raphael IONAN AUT

Severin KIEFER AUT

Kevin REYNOLDS CAN

Tomáš VERNER CZE

Pavel KASKA CZE

Justus STRID DEn

David RICHARDSON GBR

Henry MATTICK GBR

Maurizio ZANDRON ITA

Tatsuki MACHIDA JPN

Daisuke MURAKAMI JPN

Maverick EGUIA PHI

Kamil BIALAS POL

Sebastian IWASAKI POL

Zoltan KELEMEN ROM

Artur DMITRIEV RUS

Konstantin MENSHKOV RUS

Stéphane WALKER SUI

Ali DEMIRBOGA TUR

Engin Ali ARTAN TUR

Dmitry IGNATENKO UAE

It's interesting that the UAE is fielding a team.