Liu and Perini take mighty leap up to junior ranks | Golden Skate

Liu and Perini take mighty leap up to junior ranks

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now in their third season together, USA's Chelsea Liu and Devin Perini have shifted their focus to the junior level, and are preparing to qualify for the 2013 U.S. Championships in Omaha, Neb.

More

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liu and Perini

Nice article and they seem like nice people. But this team really looks awkward - almost illegal, immoral or something. He is almost 20 and she is not even a teen. I get the size difference is a big help for throws and perhaps lifts but because of her youthfulness - no childness it is not pretty yet. Maybe when she fills out and grows it will not scream awkward or something is wrong but right now it just looks, well wrong. I also think looking at his body type he could fill out too. But she has that little pony look - spindly and a bit awkward. Yes she is feisty but the look still is somehow a bit disconcerting. It is hard to believe they have been competing to gether for a few years. The age gap well seems odd - maybe not when he is 29 and she is 22 but right now all sorts of bells would go off. Like a little sister chasing after her big brother gone off to college. It may be a bit stereotyped or judgemental or even a lot but they look super awkward - maybe cute but somehow there looks something off.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Did you mean to post in their article thread? (ETA that the mod. has since moved the post, thanks!)

I wonder if Liu/Perini will represent Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) internationally down the road?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, Sylvia.

I don't know -- it there something "illegal or immoral" about a "little sister chasing after her big brother gone to college?"

True, they are handicapped in that they cannot take on romantic-type themes, but as long as they stick to demonstrating technique they should be OK.

Last edited:
Nice article and they seem like nice people. But this team really looks awkward - almost illegal, immoral or something. He is almost 20 and she is not even a teen. I get the size difference is a big help for throws and perhaps lifts but because of her youthfulness - no childness it is not pretty yet. Maybe when she fills out and grows it will not scream awkward or something is wrong but right now it just looks, well wrong. I also think looking at his body type he could fill out too. But she has that little pony look - spindly and a bit awkward. Yes she is feisty but the look still is somehow a bit disconcerting. It is hard to believe they have been competing to gether for a few years. The age gap well seems odd - maybe not when he is 29 and she is 22 but right now all sorts of bells would go off. Like a little sister chasing after her big brother gone off to college. It may be a bit stereotyped or judgemental or even a lot but they look super awkward - maybe cute but somehow there looks something off.

I wouldn't say illegal or immoral, but certainly awkward and unsettling. If they were just doing tricks and not skating to music, maybe it wouldn't be so discordant. One of the most important aspects of pairs skating is the unison, and there's no way a combination like this could create any kind of unison, let alone harmony.

brightphoton

Medalist
A male in his early to mid twenties with a pre-pubescent girl is common in pairs. 'course, lots of them break up because the girl grows up or wants to go to college or whatever. I guess pairs men would rather work with little kids than work on their overhead presses.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I guess it is pairs skating not play with a rag doll or throw around the kid I am babysitting. It isn't illegal skating together with a child but it just does not look aesthetically pleasing or correct for whatever reason. Their music selection is going to be very limited right now.