New Years Resolutions?? | Golden Skate

New Years Resolutions??

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I've really enjoyed meeting all of you here. I've been thinking about my own goals for the new year, and wondering if any of us have common goals. If so, I'd love to know if anyone is interested in starting a Le Cafe thread or two to help support each other.

For me, I lost over 50 pounds two years ago. I've let things slide a bit over the last 6 months or so (DRAT - HOW STUPID OF ME!!) and now find myself needing to lose about 15 of those pounds AGAIN. I plan to get back to the eating program that works for me, and also revive my exercise plan.

Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, I'd love to share progress and accountability and have someone kick my behind to stay on plan when I need it.

My other goal is a bit harder to define. I work at a job that pays well, but is not the most exciting work I've ever done. I will be doing this for awhile (which is fine) while my husband gets his new business off the ground. But...I feel I need the stimulation that would go with figuring out my NEXT career, and then taking some steps to prepare for it (whatever that means). If anyone else is in a similar situation to that one (planning career #2 or beyond) I'd love sharing ideas about that.

Any takers? It will give us something productive to do when there are no skating competitions going on maybe?

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great post, DG.........I'm on that same "win a few, lose a few" weight merry-go-round. I have these "words to live by" taped onto my fridge........"I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me" right next to a lovely picture of an orangutan.......

Other than that, I always try to make a difference in the life of someone, if not daily, then weekly (even if it's myself). You need to be kind to yourself first before you can be of benefit to others. It sounds sappy, but I think a good goal to shoot for...........42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Great idea 42...

...especially on the concept of doing something nice for someone each week. And I also agree that we have to take care of ouselves first in order to have energy to do nice things for other people.

LOL - I also like what you have on your fridge. This is not on my fridge, but I have such a hard time with general exercise that one of my favorites is something like "why run unless you're being chased??"

What do you (anyone) think of these threads so far?

* Do something nice for someone weekly. (check in a say what you did)

* Follow weight loss plan

I could sure use the accountability and I think it would be a great way for many of us to get to know each other better.

Thoughts? (if nothing else 42, you and I can do the two challenges mentioned above if you are up for it, which it sounds like you are!)

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
DG and Show GREAT thread!:love:

One of our woman's club's projects a couple of years ago was "random acts of kindness". Everyone kept track of theirs, wrote them down, and at the end of the project they were put together in a little book. Some brought tears to your eyes while others (for example) "took my mother to the eye doctor" made you:rolleye: hmmm..... I believe that's called being a family, not a RAK.

I am trying to not stress over so many things, be more patient, and less controlling. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Piel

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi DG,

I'm another person who needs a nudge to get back on the eating-right-and-exercising bandwagon. I figure the New Year and this thread (and the reminder of a doctor appointment later this month.. :laugh: ), I will get back to trying.

I lost 20 pounds over the summer. Plain old diet and exercise. I haven't gained it back (the good news), but I haven't lost anymore either. (obviously the bad news)

I say, we should not only support each other here, we should also check out the places on the web for info and support. In other words, back to fitday.com, weightwatchers, etc. I like fitday, it's what I was using to track my progress all summer. It allows you to track food and exercise and any nutrional goals you have. And, if you are VERY BRAVE, it allows you to keep a journal on the website for help and support.

I'm signing up for the Discovery.com body challenge. Check out their site. If it doesn't show up on Disc., it will on the Disc Health Channel part.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/index.html

http://health.discovery.com/convergence/nationalbodychallenge/nationalbodychallenge.html

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hello again..

Jo, CONGRATULATIONS on maintaining the weight you lost, especially through the holidays! When I first made a decision to lose the weight, I was very determined and actually found it pretty easy to keep the discipline going to lose everything I needed to. It was maintenance that got me in trouble. I just gradually slid away from my plan, ignored the first few pounds that came back, and now have really blown it over the holidays.

I am familiar with Fitday. I need to dust off a similar program I bought called Life Form. The Discovery body challenge sounds interesting - I will check it out. I also participate in a low carb support board which helps also - but I think it would be fun for those of us skating fans to keep in touch with our goals too. (I can use ALL the support I can get LOL!)

So...maybe I'll start a weight loss / exercise thread so we can state our goals and keep track and encourage each other.

I also like the "Random Acts of Kindness" idea. What a great reminder to keep in front of us to do nice things for others. LOL Piel on the "patience" part of your goal. Patience has never been my forte and I typically end up learning my lessons in that department by getting hit over the head by the figurative board!

Hopefully you all get ESPN and will be able to watch some figure skating reruns to night! (something from Cup of Russia and then the 2003 Worlds are being aired in my neck of the woods)

Have a great day all!

DG

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Doggygirl:

I am all for the weight loss "club." I could shed a couple of pounds and tone up!

My biggest goal this year is to move somewhere better. My rent is far too high, and the area is getting too many "undesireables."

My good deed so far: I helped an elderly gentlemen accross an icy parking lot from his van to a conveniece store on Sat.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, I got off on the right foot today with a brisk 20 minute walk with my dog, Chelsea. She could have gone a lot longer, but as for me, it was a case of the "spirit being strong", but the feet were weak in this case." I am determined to go for at least half an hour on Tuesday!

I'm snacking on pretzels and fruit in the evenings, so hoping to make a dent in the weight department as well..........we'll see how it goes (I have an aversion to scales, but that's my next goal)...................42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi all!

Ladskater, that was a very nice good deed! You're getting off to a good start.

And 42, good for you on your walking with your dog!

I haven't quite gotten in gear yet with my eating plan. I was kicking myself yesterday about that. No time like TODAY to get that in gear.

I did go for a long romp with the dogs yesterday in the big yard. It was pretty vigorous given the snow and all so that was good.

In the "good deed" department this might be a stretch. I have a very nice woman from Poland who helps me clean the house. Yesterday she came to me in tears because she accidentally broke something. She felt so bad about it and we have a language barrier which makes it difficult to communicate. She kept saying something like "$70 is all I have!!" It took me awhile to convince her that accidents happen and I didn't expect her to pay me for that. My heart was just breaking because she was crying and felt so bad. She works really hard for her money and I would never expect her to pay for an accident that could just as easily happen to me. (or a dog knocking something over for that matter) I hope that counts. :)

My eating goal for today is to keep calories under 1500 and effective carbs under 30G. 100oz of water, and take my supplements which I'm going to go do right now.

It's zero here this morning, so instead of a dog romp outside it will be treadmill for me today.

Hope everyone is doing well and gearing up to watch skating! The first televised thing here is tomorrow morning on ESPN.

DG

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Doggygirl:

Very good deed! That was very understanding. I would have felt the same as your cleaning lady.

By the way I posted a couple topics about diets. I was not sure how to organize our "support group."

JOHIO2

Medalist
Show42, glad to hear Chelsea is feeling well enough to make you feel guilty for not taking a longer walk!

Ladskater, we could nominate you to organize our support group. After all, you are the one who suggested we get "organized."

It is frigid in Cleveland so I am still in my holiday doldrums and not getting back into the diet and exercise thing yet. Although I DID buy another tai chi tape and a pilates tape, I haven't done more than check out the first couple of minutes on both. Maybe later today I can get started.

Hey, if Discovery is sponsoring that body challenge thing here in the US, could there be a similar thing in Canada? After all, we see a lot of Canadian shows on TLC, Discovery, Discovery Health and Animal Planet. (there are probably lots on Travel Channel, too, but that is the one I watch least.) Hmmmm....maybe I should just find out! That way, we can get the Canadians organized too! Wait, I already nominated Lad....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi all!

JO, I'm right there with you struggling to get my motivation in order in the cold weather / post holiday slump. (I'm in the Chicago area - LOL I feel your pain!) Gotta do it though. When I lost weight the first time, I gave away all my bigger clothes and I'm at a point now where if I gain another ounce I will have to start buying new clothes. Not gonna happen.

Ladskater - thanks for posting those articles. The one was interesting about unprocessed grains v. highly processed grains. I'm convinced that empty carbs like flour/sugar as the "biggies" are what made me fat, and giving them up is how I lost. Once they started creeping back in, the weight went up again. They gotta go!

What do you think about this? Each week the first "loser" to check in on Sunday starts a weight loss challenge thread for the week. That way we can all check in and cheer each other on and post our progress, goals, questions, etc. If we have a new thread each week hopefully they won't get rediculously long, and new people will hopefully feel comfortable jumping in whenever.

Just a thought..

DG