Post tryout: Brubaker will sit out season | Golden Skate

Post tryout: Brubaker will sit out season

sillylionlove

Medalist
Phillip Hersh is reporting on twitter

Figure skating scoop: Rockne Brubaker is trying out Amanda Evora as a new partner this week. Both have made worlds with previous partners

"It's going really well," Rockne Brubaker said in a text of the tryout with Evora, which will last until Saturday.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so I thought that I would share it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what?!

ETA - ok I see it now. if this is true I think it's kind of a raw deal for Mark. I mean, yes he found a new partner but the reason for their breakup on the ice was she was done with competing... what gives?! :unsure:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW. I thought Amanda retired, I guess not. She would be perfect for Rockne tho.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is "Retirement" a gentle way of leaving your partner these days?

(Reminds me of Paul Simon's 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Amanda Evora very much, but her inconsistent jumping skills kept Evora / Ladwig from winning the US Championship. I think she might fit well with Brubaker sizewise, but he can't help her land those sbs jumps.

But I'd rather see Rockne skate with Amanda than not see Rockne skate at all.

Wow, I take a couple of hours off, and everything turns topsy-turvy. This is one of those events that makes me realize that I understand nothing. It would be great to see Amanda skate again, but the beauty of her lifts with Ladwig might not be reproduced, and as has been mentioned, she's not the best jumper. Well, onward! Yet another aspect of a fascinating upcoming season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I read about this over on FSU! Honestly, I was pretty surprised, I thought Amanda wanted to be done with competitive skating. I can't help but feel a bit bad for Mark, although this isn't a totally rude blindside like the Denney/Coughlin situation.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I don't think we should assume the Evora/Ladwig breakup was a unilateral decision from Amanda. Let's face it, she and Mark had kind of reached, and probably passed, their peak as a team. Last season was not a good one for them, and the previous season was disappointing too. I would imagine they were probably both a bit frustrated with each other. Remember that Mark made mistakes in their skating too, it wasn't just Amanda. Add to that Amanda's probable desire to leave Florida after her personal breakup with Barrett, and I think that explains the end of the partnership.

I'm glad to hear she's trying out with Rockne; I agree her jumping skills are highly suspect, but who knows, maybe a new partner/training situation could help. Personally I thought she and Mark were stuck in a rut with Peterson in Florida; a change of scene/coach/choreographer might make a difference. And she has the international experience and pairs skills that Mary Beth didn't have. It's probably worth a try; if Rockne has any hope of making Sochi, there's no time to gently break in and train another inexperienced partner. He needs someone ready to go. Same for Amanda, really.

cornell08

Final Flight
Her tweet was "Amanda Evora ‏@Amanda_Evora
Spent my Olympic excitement with a lil "Me and Ice" time yesterday. Can't wait for Opening Ceremonies! #nevergiveup #London2012"

Wouldn't be surprised if she decided she did want to gun for Sochi.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Add to that Amanda's probable desire to leave Florida after her personal breakup with Barrett, and I think that explains the end of the partnership.

:confused: not sure why that'd be, Jeremy moved away from FL this past... May(?)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is/was Barrett's move to Idaho permanent? Or only for Sun Valley summer show season?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
E/L announced their breakup in April. Who knows, though--maybe her personal situation was involved in the decision, maybe it wasn't.

Boy I am out of the loop. I did not even know that she had broken up with Barrett. My fingers are crossed that this
partnership will happen. I like both Rockne and Amanda very much.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Boy I am out of the loop. I did not even know that she had broken up with Barrett. My fingers are crossed that this
partnership will happen. I like both Rockne and Amanda very much.

it was announced around nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Amanda will not fit Rockne physically. I think he needs a tiny partner because he's so short. I've always thought Amanda looked "heavy" on the ice. And I don't mean heavy fat, just kind of not light on her skates. I don't see this pair at all.