Nebelhorn Trophy 2012 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2012

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Osmond won !, she came as a nobody and kicked everyone's butt :eek:
well at least now Rochette doesn't need to come back.

Adelina seems to struggle with the LP especially with the lutz combo , I hope she doesnt turn into another Maria Butyrskaya :disapp:
, lovely skater but nerves always get into her
I think the scores here are very reflective which I really can say there was not that much inflation

In Skate Canada she will have again this chance to test
with Gracie and Elizaveta , if she keeps this up and be consistent, that score might give her a medal in the GP

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
So happy for Osmond.... Canada's next best...
Hope the pressure doesnt kill her ability because she definitely has it.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Huge :clap: to Oda and Osmond!

Oda looked great, I like his new programms! It's nice to have him back after his injury... japanese Nationals are going to make me cry this year, one way or another.

Osmond really suprised me - I've never seen her before (well, I didn't really see her by now, but you know what I mean) and I'm excited to see videos from her. Hoping she keeps it up - hopefully Canadians aren't as bad in overhyping as Americans are, if they are, I hope she handles the pressure well. But she didn't do 3F-3T - protocol said 3F-2T. Still looks like a very nice skate :)
(And Osmond doesn't change me wanting Rochette to come back...)

And I'm satisfied with what Adelina did here. SP was really nice, some mistakes in the LP, but it's early. She usually gets better during the season. Plus, she looked better than last year at her first outing (and that was CoC, later than NHT) where she still medaled in every competition she entered (minus WTT) - before saying she isn't doing good enough, people might want to do the math.

Overall, great start to the season!:party:

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

she has a name now and Canada will be backing her up, hopefully indeed the pressure doesn't kill her on Skate Canada

as for Adelina yes its too early for the Season so hopefully she cleans up all mistakes in her LP
this might be costly by the start of GP

Good Scores here !

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Osmond!! :agree: Phanuef retires and, three days after, a Canadian girl wins Nebelhorn! I want to see videos! I'm happy for Imai, too: her skating has always been beautiful, and I was disappointed every time I saw her falling down from good positions, now she did the opposite, coming back from a bad SP to win a medal! :clap: Sotnikova... :no: I have already written that I love her skating, but she needs to control her nerves, she's now a Senior lady and you can't be so inconstant if you want to win...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Osmond!! :agree: Phanuef retires and, three days after, a Canadian girl wins Nebelhorn! I want to see videos! I'm happy for Imai, too: her skating has always been beautiful, and I was disappointed every time I saw her falling down from good positions, now she did the opposite, coming back from a bad SP to win a medal! :clap: Sotnikova... :no: I have already written that I love her skating, but she needs to control her nerves, she's now a Senior lady and you can't be so inconstant if you want to win...

also Zhang with 127+ scores , I was hoping she was on her way up again :disapp:

as for Adelina, indeed she needs to control her nerves especially in LP where she gets mistakes, I don't want Adelina to become a Maria Butyrskaya :no:
she needs more mental strength something she usually lacks in comparison to Julia, Elizaveta and Gracie

Lucky Star

Final Flight
also Zhnag with 127+ scores , I was hoping she was on her way up again :disapp:
as for Adelina, indeed she needs to control her nerves especially in LP where she gets mistakes, I dont want Adelina to become a Maria Butyrskaya
she needs more mental strength something she usually lacks in comparison to Julia, Elizaveta and Gracie

I think it's too early to call Adelina inconsistent, it's still very early and she had decent skates here, 168+ are very good scores for September. Last season she struggled with the grown sprut, don't think that nerves were the main reason of her mistakes, especially when the season before she seemed not to have nerves at all and won every competition she entered. Let's wait for the Grand Prix at least

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it's too early to call Adelina inconsistent, it's still very early and she had decent skates here, 168+ are very good scores for September. Last season she struggled with the grown sprut, don't think that nerves were the main reason of her mistakes, especially when the season before she seemed not to have nerves at all and won every competition she entered. Let's wait for the Grand Prix at least

I agree and to call a skater inconsistent in September or rattled by nerves seems odd. What was there - 125 people in the arena?

This is a skater who basically makes the podium at every event she enters. If that is not a sign of consistency I need to learn the real meaning of this word. :think:

herios

Medalist

This is a shocker even for the most optimistic canadian fans. Let's hope she can keep her head straight and not get carried away by this successful international debut

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree with you: in 2011, she won everything she could, and I think she's still fighting to regain her confidence, and confidence, in figure skating, is everything. But it's clear that her nerves are not the best: the only clean FS from her was at Nationals in 2011, now she's not skating bad, she's just making every time one or two mistakes that don't allow her to win, she needs that "bit" more: in this competition, it could have been a clean SP or the second 3F in the FS... However, let's wait the next competitions, she's listed for two relatively "easy" GPs, so she'll have the opportunity to show the full potential of her programs! :popcorn:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^ I had noticed this, Adelina since turning senior has never cracked the 170+ scores
that's why she never wins

I agree and to call a skater inconsistent in September or rattled by nerves seems odd. What was there - 125 people in the arena?

This is a skater who basically makes the podium at every event she enters. If that is not a sign of consistency I need to learn the real meaning of this word. :think:

I think we might be setting the expectations too high here

but I think for most here, consistency means not just medaling in every event but showing dominance in every competition and
winning gold on all competitions ?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think we might be setting the expectations too high here

but I think for most here, consistency means not just medaling in every event but showing dominance in every competition and

That is your definition - certainly not mine.

Yuna is a skater who always made the podium. She won alot but many times did not win (check her record at Worlds).

In the 6.0 era it was about chasing perfection.
In the CoP era it is about chasing points.

Adelina obvioulsy skates in the CoP era and is chasing points.

By 6.0 standards Chan might not have been considered so consistent. In the CoP era Chan is very consistent as he always scores alot of points.

Let's remember these are athletes working fora goal. In CoP the goal is points.

Like Yuna and Patrick,, Adelina is so talented she can miss a few jumps and still make the podium.

Like it or not - that is the measuring stick in CoP skating.

Any skater who consistently makes the podium should be considered what ................:think:

Has Adelina shown her best yet? I don't think so but hope it is coming by the end of this season.

If you want to say "Adelina needs to show more consistency on her JUMPS" that might be another discusion.

But in this era skating is not as much about jumps. It is about points.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
sky_fly20 said:

That's ridiciulous - than pretty much noone would be consistent now.

And FSGMT, I think you should stop jugding so much - without giving those things time. It's just like it was with Yuna Kim, were her nerves any better at the beginning?
Russia is like the mother country fo figure skating, but they never had a OGM in ladies. Adelina is showered with the pressure of giving them exactly that next year pretty much since she hit the Junior scene - I doubt anyone here can even imagine what an aweful amount of pressure that is. Add to that her growth spurt plus the fact she was injured rather shortly before the season started last year, and I think she handled herself extremly well.
Some people just need to get over they're unjustified huge expactations - where are they coming from anyway? Did anyone besides Mao and Yuna do better than the young russian girlson at their debut seasons?

So Adelina didn't crack 170 till now? So what? She just did like 4 senior competitions now - god, that's not exactly much.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That is your definition - certainly not mine.

Yuna is a skater who always made the podium. She won alot but many times did not win (check her record at Worlds).

In the 6.0 era it was about chasing perfection.
In the CoP era it is about chasing points.

Adelina obvioulsy skates in the CoP era and is chasing points.

By 6.0 standards Chan might not have been considered so consistent. In the CoP era Chan is very consistent as he always scores alot of points.

Let's remember these are athletes working fora goal. In CoP the goal is points.

Like Yuna and Patrick,, Adelina is so talented she can miss a few jumps and still make the podium.

Like it or not - that is the measuring stick in CoP skating.

Any skater who consistently makes the podium should be considered what ................:think:

Has Adelina shown her best yet? I don't think so but hope it is coming by the end of this season.

If you want to say "Adelina needs to show more consistency on her JUMPS" that might be another discusion.

But in this era skating is not as much about jumps. It is about points.

also I think the expectation was for her to reach the GPF and she was not able to go to the finals last season
Yuna, Mao , Michelle, Irina etc. always reached the GPF , Adelina is living the CoP era, but the points she gets
at least for now wasn't enough to go to the GPF

I like Adelina but she needs consistency if she wants to be a dominant skater in the coming seasons and control her nerves. :disapp:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
also I think the expectation was for her to reach the GPF and she was not able to go to the finals last season
Yuna, Mao , Michelle, Irina etc. always reached the GPF , Adelina is living the CoP era, but the points she gets
at least for now wasn't enough to go to the GPF

I think Li'Kitsu's post #160 addresses your comments very well.

And to be fair - I have only seen Adelina's SP (love the black boots :love:).

Perhaps my opinion will change after I see her LP.
I did see it a few weeks ago and it was pretty obvious it was still a work in progress and I doubt if she is close to being comfortable with it yet.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
VIDEOS SO FAR

SHORT DANCE

1. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 59.58
2. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 56.97
3. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 56.95
4. Ksenia MONKO & Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) - 54.92
5. Alexandra PAUL & Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 54.50
9. Ramona Elsener & Florain Roost (SUI) - 46.62

PAIRS COMPETITION