Plushenko: I'll Defend European Title | Golden Skate

Plushenko: I'll Defend European Title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RIA Novosti - Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a bit disappointed he'll skip GP but at least he will compete in Japan Open :love::love::love:
and after FS in 2014 he'll try as a golfer ? maybe we'll see Zhenya in Rio 2016 in Golf ? lol :)

slipslidin

On the Ice
So relieved he'll skip GP. I've been worried about the fact that the human body has a limited supply of knees and hips.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That makes sense-skipping the GP. He won in 2012 so easily- it was ridiculous. It was such an easy victory. He lost the SP to Gachinski but no one approached him the FS. I don't know what happened to Amodio and Brezina and Fernandez. Amodio didn't do as bad as Brezina and Fernandez but it was so interesting how the frontrunners for medals dropped very badly. For 2013 I hope its a real fight. Brezina, Plushenko Verner, Amodio, Joubert, Gachinski, Fernandez and maybe others- depends on the GP.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...38273233.46753.100002611741145&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...38273233.46753.100002611741145&type=3&theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_srHqXX6Wg

He is very good in every sports, he adore the sports. And he is doing any sports all the time. :) After the sports he sleeps like a baby, this is another favorite pastime.:laugh:
(http://lockerz.com/s/207856626
Guess who's sleeping in the cabin after a 4-hour game of tennis!?)

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
a bit disappointed he'll skip GP but at least he will compete in Japan Open :love::love::love:
and after FS in 2014 he'll try as a golfer ? maybe we'll see Zhenya in Rio 2016 in Golf ? lol :)

You are right. He wants to go to Rio 2016 as a golfer. Although I think the golf is not an Olympic sport... :)

yaya124

On the Ice
You are right. He wants to go to Rio 2016 as a golfer. Although I think the golf is not an Olympic sport... :)

from Wiki:
Golf was featured in the Summer Olympic Games official programme in 1900 and 1904. At the IOC session in Copenhagen in October 2009, the IOC decided to reinstate this event for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
:biggrin:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm glad he's going to do Europeans. But there's no mention of Worlds. Is he going to compete there??--I hope so! It won't be the same without him.

In other Plush news, I read elsewhere that he and his wife are expecting a baby in December or January. Best wishes to them!

emma

Record Breaker
Images of Plushy and Michael Phelps playing golf together are flashing before my eyes....

Can't wait to see Plushy at Euros (or videos of it)....hope he can stay healthy and skate great!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm glad he's going to do Europeans. But there's no mention of Worlds. Is he going to compete there??--I hope so! It won't be the same without him.

!

Boasting about defending a regional title? :rolleye:

I somehow doubt if Yuna fans would feel the same satisfaction if she said "I am skipping Worlds but I will win the 4CC title." ;)

I don't think Mishin will let Plushy on competitive ice against Chan and Dai until Sochi. (Sorry, the JO does not count.)

But will this "chuck and duck" strategy pay off....... or lead to another unpleasant show of poor sportsmanship and whining on the world stage if Plushy fails once again to win the OGM?

Is that really going to be good for skating?

Plushy owes nothing to anybody as he is already a legendary skater and one of the all-time greats.

But does this show how little Mishin cares for the CoP?
What coach in their right mind would turn his back on the greatness of the CoP? :sarcasm:

As many have said about the new system "all Mishin would have to do is see where his skater fell short at WORLDS and using the CoP scores work on that until Sochi."

Mishin is no fool and doesn't believe in fairytales.
The results at Sochi are sure to be as controversial as Vancouver.

Factors above and beyond the CoP will determine the Sochi podium.
Whether we like it or not it should be interesting to skating fans but will undoubtably turn off the public.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

but still Zhenya, Chan and Takahashi will have a chance to battle it out at Japan Open

janetfan

Match Penalty
^

but still Zhenya, Chan and Takahashi will have a chance to battle it out at Japan Open

And that will be great FUN. I love the Japan Open!

But what is your point?

That the JO is a prestigious or even serious competition?

Ask Adam Rippon how much weight winning the JO carries ;)

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
And that will be great FUN. I love the Japan Open!

But what is your point?

That the JO is a prestigious or even serious competition?

Ask Adam Rippon how much weight winning the JO carries ;)

I'm just saying he is not really avoiding all competitions with Chan or Takahashi in it ( though I don't think the biggest threat for him is there which is Hanyu )
Mishin is probably thinking of peaking him at the right time and not to aggravate some injuries
didn't he did the same thing on the road to 2010 Olympics

And I think that's a smart thing. Listen, this is Plushenko. He doesn't need to prove himself. Everyone knows that he's (a) good and (b) almost miraculously still able to summon up his performance magic. What he needs to do now is keep himself safe, fresh, and healthy. He and Mishin are wily warriors, like Odysseus in The Iliad. I'm sure they have thought out a strategy, and I hope it gets Plushy to Worlds so we can see him at his best.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm just saying he is not really avoiding all competitions with Chan or Takahashi in it ( though I don't think the biggest threat for him is there which is Hanyu )
Mishin is probably thinking of peaking him at the right time and not to aggravate some injuries
didn't he did the same thing on the road to 2010 Olympics

And I am saying he is avoiding competition against them.

But as you mention it is part of a strategy.

My real question is whether it is the right strategy.

Without doubt Mishin had the wrong strategy in Vancouver. He had the best jumper and most experienced skater but did not win.

I wonder if this will happen again in Sochi due in part to poor strategy.

Real competitors know "you can run but you can't hide."
Mishin appears to feel comfortable hiding until Sochi.

I just hope if he blows it again he will act a bit more sporting.

When we hear "leave no stone unturned" I hope it is about more than just hiding under the stone. :think:

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
And I am saying he is avoiding competition against them.

But as you mention it is part of a strategy.

My real question is whether it is the right strategy.

Without doubt Mishin had the wrong strategy in Vancouver. He had the best jumper and most experienced skater but did not win.

I wonder if this will happen again in Sochi due in part to poor strategy.

Real competitors know "you can run but you can't hide."
Mishin appears to feel comfortable hiding until Sochi.

I just hope if he blows it again he will act a bit more sporting.

When we hear "leave no stone unturned" I hope it is about more than just hiding under the stone. :think:

I definitely think though Zhenya will be competing more in 2013, A 2013 Worlds barring injury is almost definite, they are crucifying themselves if they will send Gachinski again at 2013 Worlds