Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP JGP Courchevel 2012

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Unfortunately Vanessa Lam and Angela Wang are assigned to JGP Slovenia. I would love to see Polina Edmunds, too. But it seems like USFS doesn't give any chance to the summer stars. Bad strategy.
    Those are provisional assignments, just placeholders for now, so those spots may end up going to someone else, and likely will, at least in Vanessa's case, because she doesn't have much of a shot at qualifying for the JGPF at this point.

Custom Title
    Angela Wang is provisional, yet as for Lam, she should go. Slovenia is not a strong field. Probably scoring around 155 points would be enough to win.

Custom Title
    Lam at this point doesn't deserve another assignment. She hasn't medaled in her last 3 JGP events.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Lam at this point doesn't deserve another assignment. She hasn't medaled in her last 3 JGP events.
    Do you mean Cain?

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Do you mean Cain?
    I think Jammers means that Lam hasn't medaled in her last junior internationals, which would be accurate (JGPF, Junior Words and this event).

Custom Title
    While I'd prefer that Long and Edmunds get a chance to compete at a JGP before Lam gets a second event, Lam has medalled at her last 3 JGP events (excluding the final, and this one). Lam getting a gold at a second assignment is not that far fetched, seeing that she has won 2 golds on the circuit before. A first and a fourth would probably qualify her for the final.

It's Cain that did not medal at her 2 prior JGP, and now did not medal at this one. With a 5th place finish, she doesn't have a chance at the final. So I definitely would not give her another assignment. It's too bad that she's not doing pairs anymore. I think it is going to be much more difficult for her to find success in singles than in pairs.

did anyone watch ashley cain's fs? she took a hard fall and had to stop for a few minutes. poor girl :( i really hope she isn't injured.

Custom Title
    holy costume!!! shame on the coach for sending her out looking like that. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNSlAW7tHIs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koheikun90 View Post
    holy costume!!! shame on the coach for sending her out looking like that. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNSlAW7tHIs
    She received a deduction for her costume. (Was going to type "costume deduction" but that would be ridiculous!)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I know that Tukt did and still does the 3lz/3t combo
    At Russional Nationals 2010/2011 (Senior & Junior) 3Lz+3T performed Agafonova, Shelepen, Tuktamysheva
    At Russional Nationals 2011/2012 (Senior & Junior) 3Lz+3T performed Radionova, Shelepen, Tuktamysheva.
    Plus some tries with underrotation.
    Last edited by AlexRus; 08-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I did a review of the ladies competition at JGP Courchevel...I already posted this over in Announcements but I thought here would be a good place too.

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I did a review of the ladies competition at JGP Courchevel...I already posted this over in Announcements but I thought here would be a good place too.

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/
    "Elena needs a ton of work on things like presentation, refinement, line, etc. but overall, I really enjoyed watching her."
    Yes.

"Uliana struggled a bit in her LP (2 falls)"

It isn't so. 1 fall and 1 time violation.

Uliana is not so excellent as you write. Program is overcomplicated for her (maybe, only for first start of season?), she has several problems, some of these problems are because she is very big for her age, so these problems can't be overcomed.
    Good girl, yes. But not so good as you write.

By the way, there are about 6 (maybe 8) girls in Russia (including Radionova) for JGP, who may be better than Ulyana. I'm afraid we will not see all of them at JGP events because of lack of places. They are well-known Agafonova and Shershak, less known Zaseeva and Stavitskaia, and girls with no international experience.

Vanessa Lam and maybe Ashley Cain could have the podium if Fortune would be better for them.
    I believe, Vanessa Lam skates better than Uliana Titushkina.
    Last edited by AlexRus; 08-29-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    "Elena needs a ton of work on things like presentation, refinement, line, etc. but overall, I really enjoyed watching her."
    Yes.

"Uliana struggled a bit in her LP (2 falls)"

It isn't so. 1 fall and 1 time violation.

Uliana is not so excellent as you write. Program is overcomplicated for her (maybe, only for first start of season?), she has several problems, some of these problems are because she is very big for her age, so these problems can't be overcomed.
    Good girl, yes. But not so good as you write.

By the way, there are about 6 (maybe 8) girls in Russia (including Radionova) for JGP, who may be better than Ulyana. I'm afraid we will not see all of them at JGP events because of lack of places. They are well-known Agafonova and Shershak, less known Zaseeva and Stavitskaia, and girls with no international experience.

Vanessa Lam and maybe Ashley Cain could have the podium if Fortune would be better for them.
    I believe, Vanessa Lam skates better than Uliana Titushkina.
    I went back and corrected the 2 falls mention...I got her two falls mixed up with Vanessa's two falls.

Of course it's just my opinion that Uliana is good and I'm sure quite a few agree with me...undoubtedly quite a few will disagree as well. I don't see any glaring issues with her skating or problems that she won't be able to overcome. Maybe you see something I don't...

I didn't find her programs over-complicated; I thought they actually had choreography which is very refreshing on the JGP where skaters are usually more focused on their elements than the in-between moments. She's not overly big/tall. Unlike Elena, Uliana has hit a growth spurt which is actually a good thing because she can start adjusting now while she's on the JGP and will hopefully be adjusted to her height by the time she turns senior (assuming she does). Her height also gives her a more mature appearance on the ice; she looks more like a young woman instead of a little girl. That's not a problem...it's actually a bit of an advantage.

She got no edge calls on her lutz or flip, though she did UR a few of her jumps in the LP. It's not like she's a tiny jumper though...that seemed to be more out of nerves than faulty technique so I don't see a problem there. She does need to work on her spins and other areas of her skating (like all of them do) but overall, like I said, she has a great base and should improve as long as she continues to work.

I'm well aware of the depth of talent in Russia (I pay attention to national competitions). I agree that a lot of the talented young skaters in Russia won't make it to the JGP. That's both the advantage and disadvantage of having a talented pool of skaters in one country. It's an advantage b/c they push each other to be better and when you're competing against the best at home you have to raise your level of skating. It's makes you a better competitor which gives you an edge internationally. It's a disadvantage b/c there are a limited number of spots in the competitions and only so many can actually make it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She's not overly big/tall.
    She is, and always was.
    See photo, December 2010. http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image6462.jpg
    From left to right - Daria Medvedeva (23 Jun 1997), Valentina Chernyshova (05 Mar 1996), Ulyana Titushkina (06 Mar 1999), two boys.
    Titushkina at 11 years old was taller than Chernyshova (14 years old, not miniature girl).

17 Mar 2012 http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image12727.jpg - medal ceremony, Ulyana (right) with Natalia Ogoreltseva (left) and Serafima Sakhanovich (center). The same age group.

Ulyana's physical conditions are not very good for figure skating. She works twice (or triple) more hard, than other girls. It is not figure of speech, it is about real time and intensity of training. And only because of this she has her results.
    She works so from very young age (we must remember, that now she is only 13 and half years old), she loves figure skating very much.

There are two tall Junior female skaters in Russia - Anna Shershak (born 06 Jun 1998) and Ulyana Titushkina.
    Shershak also always was tall, i remember photo (March 2009) where she was a head taller than Radionova.
    Titushkina has better jumps. Shershak has nice skating and higher scores and places (she had 2nd place at 6th Event of JGP-2011 with only two triples - 3T and 3S and 3T+3T combo, now she has more triples).

Custom Title
    Uliana's height is listed as 167 cm, or just under 5'6" tall. At 13 and a half and given her mature appearance already, she may only grow and inch or two more, and if she does only grow to be around 170-171 cm, she could still be successful in skating. Carolina Kostner is around that height and is world champion and capable of 3-3s, after all. Of course, if she grows a lot more, it will definitely be harder for her to succeed (rarely have we seen internationally competitive female skaters reach or exceed the 5'8" or 173 cm mark, but that too could change as skaters and people in general seem to be getting taller on average nowadays). I believe Shershak is taller than Titushkina, or at least appears so, and only has her triples through 3lo, so her situation is more concerning IMO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast