Ladies LP JGP Courchevel 2012 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP JGP Courchevel 2012

Country
Russia
I did a review of the ladies competition at JGP Courchevel...I already posted this over in Announcements but I thought here would be a good place too.

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

"Elena needs a ton of work on things like presentation, refinement, line, etc. but overall, I really enjoyed watching her."
Yes.

"Uliana struggled a bit in her LP (2 falls)"

It isn't so. 1 fall and 1 time violation.

Uliana is not so excellent as you write. Program is overcomplicated for her (maybe, only for first start of season?), she has several problems, some of these problems are because she is very big for her age, so these problems can't be overcomed.
Good girl, yes. But not so good as you write.

By the way, there are about 6 (maybe 8) girls in Russia (including Radionova) for JGP, who may be better than Ulyana. I'm afraid we will not see all of them at JGP events because of lack of places. They are well-known Agafonova and Shershak, less known Zaseeva and Stavitskaia, and girls with no international experience.

Vanessa Lam and maybe Ashley Cain could have the podium if Fortune would be better for them.
I believe, Vanessa Lam skates better than Uliana Titushkina.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
"Elena needs a ton of work on things like presentation, refinement, line, etc. but overall, I really enjoyed watching her."
Yes.

"Uliana struggled a bit in her LP (2 falls)"

It isn't so. 1 fall and 1 time violation.

Uliana is not so excellent as you write. Program is overcomplicated for her (maybe, only for first start of season?), she has several problems, some of these problems are because she is very big for her age, so these problems can't be overcomed.
Good girl, yes. But not so good as you write.

By the way, there are about 6 (maybe 8) girls in Russia (including Radionova) for JGP, who may be better than Ulyana. I'm afraid we will not see all of them at JGP events because of lack of places. They are well-known Agafonova and Shershak, less known Zaseeva and Stavitskaia, and girls with no international experience.

Vanessa Lam and maybe Ashley Cain could have the podium if Fortune would be better for them.
I believe, Vanessa Lam skates better than Uliana Titushkina.

I went back and corrected the 2 falls mention...I got her two falls mixed up with Vanessa's two falls.

Of course it's just my opinion that Uliana is good and I'm sure quite a few agree with me...undoubtedly quite a few will disagree as well. I don't see any glaring issues with her skating or problems that she won't be able to overcome. Maybe you see something I don't...

I didn't find her programs over-complicated; I thought they actually had choreography which is very refreshing on the JGP where skaters are usually more focused on their elements than the in-between moments. She's not overly big/tall. Unlike Elena, Uliana has hit a growth spurt which is actually a good thing because she can start adjusting now while she's on the JGP and will hopefully be adjusted to her height by the time she turns senior (assuming she does). Her height also gives her a more mature appearance on the ice; she looks more like a young woman instead of a little girl. That's not a problem...it's actually a bit of an advantage.

She got no edge calls on her lutz or flip, though she did UR a few of her jumps in the LP. It's not like she's a tiny jumper though...that seemed to be more out of nerves than faulty technique so I don't see a problem there. She does need to work on her spins and other areas of her skating (like all of them do) but overall, like I said, she has a great base and should improve as long as she continues to work.

I'm well aware of the depth of talent in Russia (I pay attention to national competitions). I agree that a lot of the talented young skaters in Russia won't make it to the JGP. That's both the advantage and disadvantage of having a talented pool of skaters in one country. It's an advantage b/c they push each other to be better and when you're competing against the best at home you have to raise your level of skating. It's makes you a better competitor which gives you an edge internationally. It's a disadvantage b/c there are a limited number of spots in the competitions and only so many can actually make it.

Country
Russia
She's not overly big/tall.
She is, and always was.
See photo, December 2010. http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image6462.jpg
From left to right - Daria Medvedeva (23 Jun 1997), Valentina Chernyshova (05 Mar 1996), Ulyana Titushkina (06 Mar 1999), two boys.
Titushkina at 11 years old was taller than Chernyshova (14 years old, not miniature girl).

17 Mar 2012 http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image12727.jpg - medal ceremony, Ulyana (right) with Natalia Ogoreltseva (left) and Serafima Sakhanovich (center). The same age group.

Ulyana's physical conditions are not very good for figure skating. She works twice (or triple) more hard, than other girls. It is not figure of speech, it is about real time and intensity of training. And only because of this she has her results.
She works so from very young age (we must remember, that now she is only 13 and half years old), she loves figure skating very much.

There are two tall Junior female skaters in Russia - Anna Shershak (born 06 Jun 1998) and Ulyana Titushkina.
Shershak also always was tall, i remember photo (March 2009) where she was a head taller than Radionova.
Titushkina has better jumps. Shershak has nice skating and higher scores and places (she had 2nd place at 6th Event of JGP-2011 with only two triples - 3T and 3S and 3T+3T combo, now she has more triples).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Uliana's height is listed as 167 cm, or just under 5'6" tall. At 13 and a half and given her mature appearance already, she may only grow and inch or two more, and if she does only grow to be around 170-171 cm, she could still be successful in skating. Carolina Kostner is around that height and is world champion and capable of 3-3s, after all. Of course, if she grows a lot more, it will definitely be harder for her to succeed (rarely have we seen internationally competitive female skaters reach or exceed the 5'8" or 173 cm mark, but that too could change as skaters and people in general seem to be getting taller on average nowadays). I believe Shershak is taller than Titushkina, or at least appears so, and only has her triples through 3lo, so her situation is more concerning IMO.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If she's already ~ 5'6" at 13, she will likely be more in the 5'9" or taller range. That doesn't preclude her from being a great skater, though - look at Lisa Marie Allen who was 5'8" or 5'9" and top 5 in the World (and only so low because of Linda F). It would be UNUSUAL for a female skater to be that tall, but not impossible!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
if she grows a lot more, it will definitely be harder for her to succeed (rarely have we seen internationally competitive female skaters reach or exceed the 5'8" or 173 cm mark, but that too could change as skaters and people in general seem to be getting taller on average nowadays). I believe Shershak is taller than Titushkina, or at least appears so, and only has her triples through 3lo, so her situation is more concerning IMO.

even though Shershak is also tall, she too has many triples and can do a 3T-3T
generally though bambi like skaters find it harder to adjust in FS as they get taller look at Shelepen

Country
Russia
even though Shershak is also tall, she too has many triples and can do a 3T-3T
generally though bambi like skaters find it harder to adjust in FS as they get taller look at Shelepen
Shershak had score 150.21 and second place at JGP-VI 2011 year, only with 3T and 3S (and 3T+3T).
She was 5th at Junior Nationals-2012, higher places (of girls who may be at JGP-2012 events) had only Radionova and Agafonova.
So she (if in good state) is good enough for JGP and may pretend to JGP Final.

Photos 04-07 Feb 2012.
http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image11420.jpg - Shelepen, Shershak, Agafonova. We can see difference of height between them.
http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image13323.jpg - she looks tall even at "solo" photos.

http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image3496.jpg - Korobeynikova, Radionova, Shershak. March 2011.

So tall young skaters, like Shershak and Titushkina, may be good skaters.
But for small skaters, like Radionova, it is more easy.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Radinova might not stay small though. Shelepen was also pretty petite when she first competed on the JGP and now she is around 165 cm, not hugely tall, but for a skater on the taller size, and for someone who was tiny beforehand it must have been quite an adjustment. Liza has been tiny since she was young and is supposed to stay very petite, while Adelina is a more average height for a female skater around 160-163 cm and always has been pretty average, so everyone is different. However, if Radionova hits a big growthspurt and Titushkina does not grow much more, the difference in their adult heights could easily be just a few centimeters, so for now, Radinova has it easier, but she is just 13, so it doesn't mean it will stay this way.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Radionova always was small for her age (while Shershak and Titushkina always were tall).

Radionova is one of four best female jumpers in Russia (other three are Sotnikova, Shelepen and very young, born 09 Feb 2000, Serafima Sakhanovich).
Radionova's skating is a bit "baby skating", but her jumps are good "senior style" jumps. So hardly will be problems with jumps, when she will become taller.

Radionova is 2 months elder than Titushkina. It sounds unbelievable, because Titushkina looks elder than her age, but it is so.

Shelepen is now 167 cm, and performs 3Lz+3Lo combo (at test skating this season she landed it).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Radionova always was small for her age (while Shershak and Titushkina always were tall).

Radionova is one of four best female jumpers in Russia (other three are Sotnikova, Shelepen and very young, born 09 Feb 2000, Serafima Sakhanovich).
Radionova's skating is a bit "baby skating", but her jumps are good "senior style" jumps. So hardly will be problems with jumps, when she will become taller.

Radionova is 2 months elder than Titushkina. It sounds unbelievable, because Titushkina looks elder than her age, but it is so.
Shelepen is now 167 cm, and performs 3Lz+3Lo combo (at test skating this season she landed it).

what about Tuktamysheva ? well I think she a better jumper than Sotnikova
Serafima has big jumps and 3-3 combos but she has a poor technique like Miyahara's with her bent knees

Country
Russia
what about Tuktamysheva ? well I think she a better jumper than Sotnikova
Tuktamysheva performed 3Lz+3T, Sotnikova 3Lz+3Lo. Sotnikova was at her best seasons much more stable in jumps than Tuktamysheva.

"Baby jumps" of Sakhanovich, who at that time just turned 12 - not so serious problem as for Miyahara, who was 14 and half years old at Lake Placid.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker

Sotnikova at her best seasons she flutzed. Now in test skates she improved and she seems to have a flat edge. Being in her junior years more consistent than Liza doesnt make her better jumber. At least in technique.
Shelepen is stable but I dont find her jumps impressive. It is amazing thought she kept them after she got that taller.