7. Charles TETAR (FRA) - 154.29 Short Program, Free Skate
    8. Ivan PAVLOV (UKR) - 149.87 Short Program, Free Skate
    9. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 148.45 Short Program, Free Skate
    10. Simon HOCQUAUX (FRA) - 143.71 Short Program, Free Skate
    11. Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS (GER) - 135.58 Short Program, Free Skate
    12. Victor BUSTAMANTE (ESP) - 132.83 Short Program, Free Skate

Here are the protocols

Custom Title
    Thanks for the information and links; congrats to the medalists! Quick look the protocols....it is early in the season of course, but Brown's edge calls on the lutz among other jump issues screams to me he needs a good jump coach. Hope he is getting that or gets that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Thanks for the information and links; congrats to the medalists! Quick look the protocols....it is early in the season of course, but Brown's edge calls on the lutz among other jump issues screams to me he needs a good jump coach. Hope he is getting that or gets that soon.
    I think the UR issues are more of a tightness or nervousness at this competition. He probably might have been a bit woundup from the mistakes the day before. In discussions about Jason in the past some have said he has a slight flutz, and it was more noticeable today. (he kicks to the inside-edge right at the last minute). But it's not the worst flutz -- just a matter of holding that edge to the end, definitely fixable.

Judges, however, must have liked his program and how it's packaged because his PCS is NINE points above the rest of the competition (and in double digits when compared to Boyang Jin). That basically kept him in the running as he was 15 points behind Boyang in TES (and 7 points behind Hino, the bronze medalist). In the junior women's competition, for example while Radionova crushed her competition her PCS in the FS was just 1.71 points above the next highest skater (Ashley Cain).

But for everyone's sake I do hope Jason gets everything together with the 3A and what not.

I lke Boyang! He's sort of like Yan's little bro (as far as the jump arsenal). But he has nice speed and ice coverage.

Custom Title
    ^ yes, yes, it's because of the PCS marks and his (jason's) large lead on that side of the scoreboard that I said I hope he can work out the jumps; triple axel a must, but also avoiding the flutz and I forget now what else (underrotations perhaps?). But I do hear you re: nervousness might explain some of this. It is just that he is such a good and such a creative skater, I want him to have the jumps to really be able to shine competitively (and yes, in seniors - I think he is doing absolutely fabulously in juniors in terms of medals etc, but he needs those jumps to make the leap to seniors).

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    ^ yes, yes, it's because of the PCS marks and his (jason's) large lead on that side of the scoreboard that I said I hope he can work out the jumps; triple axel a must, but also avoiding the flutz and I forget now what else (underrotations perhaps?). But I do hear you re: nervousness might explain some of this. It is just that he is such a good and such a creative skater, I want him to have the jumps to really be able to shine competitively (and yes, in seniors - I think he is doing absolutely fabulously in juniors in terms of medals etc, but he needs those jumps to make the leap to seniors).
    The good news is he does have time. Jaosn turns 18 in December. It seems that with the men (with exceptions of course) it is reasonable to peak in the early 20s.

Back to the discussion at large, Nam Nguyen was interesting to watch. He made some mistakes at this competition, but I think clearly they reflect him getting use to his growing body. I can already see that once he is done growing he is going to have some beautiful lines in his skating. He already has a really nice look.

Please be careful with any over-hyping of Jason's crowd pleasing skating.

It will surely lead to an outburst of "CFP."

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I lke Boyang! He's sort of like Yan's little bro (as far as the jump arsenal). But he has nice speed and ice coverage.
    I don't see it. Yan's skating skills are so much better. And his jumps have that soaring quality. Jin's don't.

Custom Title
    IIRC Jin landed three 3Axels at last year's Asian Trophy. I think he's the first man since Gachinski to land the 3A at the first junior competiton. He landed the 4T later in the same season. I don't remember the case of Plushenko though, Jin's jumping talents are definitely "unprecedented" level. Hanyu landed his first 3A around October of the first season but couldn'd land clean ones in both programs until next year. I don't know much about Nathan Chen. But for starters, he must land three 3Axels to be comapred with Jin.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I don't see it. Yan's skating skills are so much better. And his jumps have that soaring quality. Jin's don't.
    He's young though. He's only 14. Give him a few years.

Yes Yan's skating skills are much better, but that was not what I was commenting on. I am impressed he has the jumps already (like Han) and that he has decent ice coverage and speed for someone as small as him.

That said, I don't agree that he has more talent than Nathan Chen. Chen may not have the level of jumps (though he's close on a 3A, I hear?) but he is advanced in other areas.

Edited for Jin's age. Still young!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 08-29-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Custom Title
    There are moments in Brown's LP that yell Mao Asada. I don't really get how he outscored Jin for 10 points in PCS. The program is too ladyesque. It kind of drives me crazy.
    I thought Petrov's LP was the most entertaining.