Advice on breaking in new boots | Golden Skate

Advice on breaking in new boots

Noga L.

Rinkside
Hey everyone! Sooo... I'm really excited I just recieved, as a gift, a new pair of skates. The thing is... I started figure skating when I was 6 and quit after 6 years. I was doing pretty good, spinning perfectly, jumping single jumps perfectly, landing some double jumps... But now I'm 24!! As in.. haven't skated for 12 years!!! Which means I need all the tips I can get! I started breaking them in yesterday and was able to do some frd spins (so so, couldn't do the backspin) and very little Waltz, Salcow and Toe Loop jumps. They're still very stiff and painful because they're new plus they're recreational skates which makes them even stiffer.
If you have anyyy tips on regaining the skill, touch, feeling, confidence... whatever! I would be so thankful!!!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'd break your skates in before you try any tricks. That'll help with confidence as you'll be able to use your knees and get into the ice. Spend the first few sessions stroking, really concentrating on getting into the ice. Doing your skates up a little looser will help it hurt your feet less. If you have guards trying knee bends and squats off ice can also help to break them in faster.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Tie them one eyelet down from the top to help with bend while you are wearing them. As an aside, recreational skates will be LESS stiff than more competitive skates, but may not have the same quality of padding that a more expensive pair will have.

Noga L.

Rinkside
Alright, so I think the skates are broken in now. They hurt a lot at first (even when I didn't lace them all the way up) so I took them to a shoe repair shop and they bent them a little so they don't really hurt anymore.
Now about the skating skills... I will be very thankful to get some tips on holding my spins longer (they stop after only very few rotations), holding them in different positions... And what I'm most worried about are jumps. I'm working off ice on landing Axels and double jumps but if I can't even complete them off ice I'm afraid I'm never going to land them on it. So please please please any tips on jumping higher and completing the double rotation will be very much appreciated!

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I would be more concerned about your skates being "bent" by the shoe guy. Skates don't break in at the same places that shoes do. I ruined a pair of SP Terri's that way.

Noga L.

Rinkside
Oh no, I mean the guy didn't change the shape or anything, just made it a little softer around the ankle bone area because I really couldn't stand it even after more than 6 hours of skating in them, and doing all those things I read about, like leaving the top couple of hooks unhooked, relacing every 20 minutes... even tried wet socks. I guess my feet are just sensitive so I needed a little outside help with softening the leather a bit.
They seam good enough to me, they's Riedell 115 RS. Maybe more like beginner skates, they do have support and padding. Could have a little more padding maybe, but not bad... Sure it's not safe?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Those are not designed for bigger jumps, those are pretty much beginner/recreational skates.

Noga L.

Rinkside
Oh no... I already did most single jumps on my third session... That means I'll have to get new ones for sure... I just wonder why are they not made for jumping. Is it the padding, the blades...?

treesprite

Final Flight
Not enough support for the landing. When I came back to skating in November I didn't even feel comfortable jumping in my moderately used Reidell Silver Stars.