Thread: Sui & Han may not compete in coming season(s)

Rinkside

Sui & Han may not compete in coming season(s)

According to posts at Chinese skating forums, Sui is suffering from a kind of bone problem (I don't know how to translate the name of the disease) that would stop her from doing heavy exercise for at least one year. Sui & Han will withdraw from all the coming GPs, and very likely the whole season.

The news is not yet announced officially, but very likely to be true

Poor girl
    Wish her all the best

Custom Title
    Epiphyseal inflammation.

Ugh, this is so bad:( Hope she recovers from it fully and fine. Sui/Han is a real jem.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That's a dreadful thing to happen

That is terrible news. Poor Sui. Wishing her a full recovery.

Custom Title
    Oh, brother; that's not good. I gather it's an inflammation of the growth plates of the bones, which can happen in youngsters whose bones take too much of a pounding.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh, brother; that's not good. I gather it's an inflammation of the growth plates of the bones, which can happen in youngsters whose bones take too much of a pounding.

I'm sorry to hear that.
    This condition is most common among young horses and growing athletes, especially boys in sports such as baseball involving repetitive use of the limbs. Rest is mandatory or growth will be seriously affected, though in her case, getting bigger may not be so desirable. He, OTOH, needs to grow taller.

eta that it's not just growth that's affected. The bones may be malformed if untreated or heal too fast to "lock" in the malformation.

Rushing to do too much often backfires.

Chinese fans are seriously concerned and sad, some blaming and slamming the sport's leadership.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 08-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Yes, early excess physical training is definitely an issue. I think that this disorder might be becoming more common in girls these days because of the competitive advantage prepubescent bodies have in some sports, such as gymnastics, skating, and diving. They are asked to excel at these sports far earlier in their development than boys are, I imagine.

With guys, getting bigger and stronger is the advantage, and so it's beneficial to wait for boys to mature before sending them out to play certain sports or practice certain motions. For example, the fast ball is discouraged in Little League-age baseball players, or it used to be.

Sad news. I hope she makes a full recovery, no matter how long it takes!