Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JGP Lake Placid 2012 Ladies Preview

Probably related to working with Wagner but don't know for sure...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Probably related to working with Wagner but don't know for sure...
    It sounds like it was Courtney's choice to change coaches. From an IN article from April:
    Hicks made the move last week to train with Congemi at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo, Calif., not far from where she used to train primarily at Aliso Viejo with John Nicks. Hicks said she will continue to work with choreographer Phillip Mills and will take lessons from Nicks once a week, but Congemi will be her primary coach.

Among the most prominent skaters with whom Congemi has worked are Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek, Bebe Liang and Jennifer Kirk.

"I had known Ken for a while, and he seemed like a good choice for me," Hicks said. "He's known nationally and internationally, and I think change is good."

Congemi said he was surprised when he got the call that Hicks was interested in training with him and said he contacted Nicks before she had a lesson in El Segundo last week.

Congemi said Nicks gave him his blessing.

"It was hard to leave Mr. Nicks," Hicks said. "It's not as bad because I'm going to still be working with him, but I'm pretty much going to be [in El Segundo] every day."

Custom Title
    Courtney Hicks recently has switched back to a former coach, Scott Wendland, who was coaching her up through her Novice season (2009-10) when she placed 5th at Nationals. She currently lists Mr. Nicks as a secondary coach in her Team USA bio, but Wendland is her primary coach.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I liked both Kiri and Courtney. Where are they is US rankings?
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Neither competed last year at Nationals due to injuries.
    Hicks and Samantha Cesario (assigned to JGP #3 in Linz, Austria) are the ones who missed Nationals due to injury. Baga placed a solid 10th at 2012 Nationals in her delayed Senior debut (as mentioned in Doris' preview).

USA's Angela Wang has been landing 3Lz+3T consistently in competition this summer and I expect/hope she will do well in Lake Placid. She has the highest summer competition total score of the LP competitors and of the U.S. club competitions I've been tracking in my blog:

167.36 Angela Wang 108.77 (FS) CO Champs, Jr.
    148.21 Satoko Miyahara JPN 98.92 (FS) Asian Trophy, J1
    144.23 Courtney Hicks 96.68 LA Open, Sr.
    139.24 Kiri Baga 90.07 (FS) Skate Milwaukee, Sr.
    136.62 Nicole Rajic SVK 85.72 (FS) Lake Placid FS, Sr. (she qualified for 2012 US Nationals in Junior but WD & elected to switch to SVK where he parents were born and she can speak the language)
    110.90 Alaine Chartrand CAN 73.25 (FS), Minto, Jr.
    103.50 Brittany Lau SIN Skate Dallas, Sr.
    90.58 Corinna Lin TPE 60.52 (FS) Empire State Games, Sr.
    86.78 Netta Schreiber ISR 56.63 (FS) Lake Placid FS, Novice
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-31-2012 at 09:10 AM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Courtney Hicks recently has switched back to a former coach, Scott Wendland, who was coaching her up through her Novice season (2009-10) when she placed 5th at Nationals. She currently lists Mr. Nicks as a secondary coach in her Team USA bio, but Wendland is her primary coach.

Hicks and Samantha Cesario (assigned to JGP #3 in Linz, Austria) are the ones who missed Nationals due to injury. Baga placed a solid 10th at 2012 Nationals in her delayed Senior debut (as mentioned in Doris' preview).

USA's Angela Wang has been landing 3Lz+3T consistently in competition this summer and I expect/hope she will do well in Lake Placid. She has the highest summer competition total score of the LP competitors and of the U.S. club competitions I've been tracking in my blog:

167.36 Angela Wang 108.77 (FS) CO Champs, Jr.
    148.21 Satoko Miyahara JPN 98.92 (FS) Asian Trophy, J1
    144.23 Courtney Hicks 96.68 LA Open, Sr.
    139.24 Kiri Baga 90.07 (FS) Skate Milwaukee, Sr.
    136.62 Nicole Rajic SVK 85.72 (FS) Lake Placid FS, Sr. (she qualified for 2012 US Nationals in Junior but WD & elected to switch to SVK where he parents were born and she can speak the language)
    110.90 Alaine Chartrand CAN 73.25 (FS), Minto, Jr.
    103.50 Brittany Lau SIN Skate Dallas, Sr.
    90.58 Corinna Lin TPE 60.52 (FS) Empire State Games, Sr.
    86.78 Netta Schreiber ISR 56.63 (FS) Lake Placid FS, Novice
    Ah, well thanks for the coaching update on Courtney, Sylvia!
    Well he's hopes that Angela will continue her solid streak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2