Gabby | Golden Skate

Gabby

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I lost the link but her former gym is furious. She has PR but what she told Oprah has blown up another bridge (calling her vet dad in Afghanistand a dead beat was her first too truthful utterance). I said get her PR fast.

It isn't helping. She now prefers "Gabrielle" and could make 90 million. I keep reading that figure but from who? Phelps is worth about 40 mil they say after 4 Olympics and a squeaky clean rep. She basicly said her former gym mates called her a "slave" and told her to "wipe down the bar." They are beside themselves and basically calling her a terrible liar. I guess she thought Oprah needed to hear some racism? Why would she think this would be good to say. I can see if kids might have been teasing in VA saying stupid things if this is the truth, but why is she not talking about the family (while) in Iowa that really made her dreams come true? There is something about this kid from all the coverage that was a little off. maybe the others just had more maturity, except for Mackayla who spawned viral videos and parodies with her silver medal "look" after blowing her vault. It was funny and well honest. She isn't the first to look annoyed with silver but what a look. The Fierce 5 has a couple of divas.

I am disappointed in Abby and wonder if she will be a hot commodity. Carly Patterson was not. and she was very PC. Anyone see this interview? It likely is on Youtube by now.:confused:

ETA:

The Oprah interview is on Aunt Joyce and a response from her former Gym, Excalibur, who trained her and who is still owed much money for training a kid like gabby, talented, no money. Then there is a heated exchange that covers every aspect that makes people question which is the real story and every aspect of Oprah's interview. I feel Abby is trying to please Oprah, and her PR people are trying to bring controversy. They are not helping her marketability, as one person said. It leaves one with questions and a bad taste. gabby is cocky and apparently this was an issue with her teammates after being chosen for Olympics. I saw it from interview one. Her confidence was like that of tara Lipinski, except Tara was floored to win the olympics, while gabby felt it was clearly God's destiny for her. Her two families felt that way too. She is calm, cool, collected and very self possessed. I think Oprah did her no favors, but many are not watchinh OWN. A good thing, I think. Very disappointing product, imho. Any still following the champions, what do you think after watching all this?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Phelps doesn't have a squeaky clean rep... he messed that up when he was caught toking up.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, I forgot about that, Toni. You are right. It was once, I think and he apologized everywhere. I can't help but fear the swimmers will be scrutinized for the performance enhancing drugs. I hope not. It is nice to believe he did those 4 Olympics on sheer personal power.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Gabby's interview with Dominque Dawes was quite good.

Gabby did say she wanted to be the first African-American to win the AA.

Anybody that thinks she had an easy path is living on a different planet than I am.

Go Gabby!

DianaSelene

Medalist
I thought Gabby's interview with Dominque Dawes was quite good.

Gabby did say she wanted to be the first African-American to win the AA.

Anybody that thinks she had an easy path is living on a different planet than I am.

Go Gabby!

The one interview talked about is not the Dawes one, though, what she said was to Oprah. That was not a good interview at all.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The one interview talked about is not the Dawes one, though, what she said was to Oprah. That was not a good interview at all.

Here is something better:

http://www.wistv.com/story/19416928/gabby-douglas-fab-five-to-make-appearance-during-dnc-week

No doubt a few of you will find fault with Gabby no matter what she does - but your voices don't seem very important.

Gabby is doing very well and Americans are extremely proud of her.

Go Gabby, worlds greatest Lady gymnast :clap:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Here is something better:

http://www.wistv.com/story/19416928/gabby-douglas-fab-five-to-make-appearance-during-dnc-week

No doubt a few of you will find fault with Gabby no matter what she does - but your voices don't seem very important.

Gabby is doing very well and Americans are extremely proud of her.

Go Gabby, worlds greatest Lady gymnast :clap:

You are misunderstanding. Yes, she is a good athlete and did an amazing job at the olympics. I do not automatically find fault with her. I would never even have thought that she has anything bad about her. However, her comments were disrespectful towards her previous coaches. Other than that, she seems like a great person, etc.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You are misunderstanding. Yes, she is a good athlete and did an amazing job at the olympics. I do not automatically find fault with her. I would never even have thought that she has anything bad about her. However, her comments were disrespectful towards her previous coaches. Other than that, she seems like a great person, etc.

BTW, I have the greatest respect for Mustafina and Komova. They are not only great gymnasts but young ladies with great sporting values.

Their words and show of sportsmanship after the AA were wonderful to here. :clap:

I read the other day that Yuna has a baby....yes it was a silly and stupid gossip in a Korean paper.

Gabby is a very popular now but still just a young girl.

I think she will survive malicious gossip and even an Oprah interview that maybe upset a few people.

My feeling is those same people will always look for faults with Gabby.

Personally I think Gabby deserves to speak her mind, to talk about her experience.

I could easily see during the Team finals that Gabby was a bit of an outsider.....but am thankful that Jordan and particularly Ally made sure she knew she was part of the team.

I said it before and will say it again - Gabby did not have an easy road to London.
She comes form a part of Virginia that has produced some great but troubled African-American athletes.

Allen Iverson and Michael Vick had trouble growing up - much of it race related.

But they were in sports that had a history of African Americans excelling.

That is not the case with Gabby.

Anyway.... I really love this girl, think her story is AMAZING and wish her the best.

My brother and I bought a block of 15 tickets for the Gymnastics tour.....and thought 15 was enough.

We were wrong....coz everyone we know wants to see Gabby :)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't put Gabby in the same list with Michael Vick for any reason. Gabby is so above him - she's someone I'd be fine having someone look up to. Michael Vick doesn't even deserve a thought next to her...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't put Gabby in the same list with Michael Vick for any reason. Gabby is so above him - she's someone I'd be fine having someone look up to. Michael Vick doesn't even deserve a thought next to her...

What are you saying......
You don't want Mike running a sled in the Iditarod anytime soon? :eek:

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing Gabby and my nieces, one who is in gymnastics just idolizes Gabby.

I only wish I could talk them into going to a skating event but it's just not cool and so far of the radar.........

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What are you saying......
You don't want Mike running a sled in the Iditarod anytime soon? :eek:

I honestly don't see any of the mushers welcoming him in, much less signing the paperwork saying he's fit to run the Iditarod. :laugh: (while once upon a time anyone could sign up, there's now a pretty difficult qualifying process, mainly because they want to make sure the dogs can and will be taken care of.)