Men's LP JGP Lake Placid 2012 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's LP JGP Lake Placid 2012

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In reply to silverlake's comment about Tanaka's PCS, honestly, I think some of the silly mistakes cost him on the PCS forefront.
I mean, I'm pretty sure his execution, performance, etc. were affected by visible mistakes.
On the other hand, even with the fall on the Triple Axel and Double Axel, and the somewhat botched Flying Camel, scoring 123 is REALLY good, especially considering how, last season, when Tanaka skated cleanly in the free (although he opted for the Triple Flip Double Toe as opposed to his usual Triple-Triple) at Junior Worlds, he scored mid 130s. I think he's going to be a dark horse this season, especially considering how the judges are harping at Brown's edge-calls and URs.

I agree. He is a very promising skater, and I think that, when and if he skates clean, his PCS should improve quite a bit. Not quite on par with Farris, but not far off either. His 3a is very good and I love how he holds the landing positions of his jumps. I wonder if he has 4t and will maybe try it later on in the season? After Yan and Farris, he could be 3rd best among the junior men this season IMO if he can skate up to his potential, unless of course Jason miraculously starts going for and landing the 3a with a lot of success, and if those 2 make mistakes, he has potential to win JGPF, or at least medal. I very much like Tanaka's skating and the style he is developing.

As for Farris and skating through the music, I noticed it a little bit too, but I will say that the program seemed to have a lot of changes since JW last season, so I think that probably accounts for most of it. It's early in the season and Josh is likely still getting used to the choreo and layout of it all. He is usually a very expressive skater, so I'm sure this will come through later once he is more comfortable with the program.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
I agree. He is a very promising skater, and I think that, when and if he skates clean, his PCS should improve quite a bit. Not quite on par with Farris, but not far off either. His 3a is very good and I love how he holds the landing positions of his jumps. I wonder if he has 4t and will maybe try it later on in the season? After Yan and Farris, he could be 3rd best among the junior men this season IMO if he can skate up to his potential, unless of course Jason miraculously starts going for and landing the 3a with a lot of success, and if those 2 make mistakes, he has potential to win JGPF, or at least medal. I very much like Tanaka's skating and the style he is developing.

As for Farris and skating through the music, I noticed it a little bit too, but I will say that the program seemed to have a lot of changes since JW last season, so I think that probably accounts for most of it. It's early in the season and Josh is likely still getting used to the choreo and layout of it all. He is usually a very expressive skater, so I'm sure this will come through later once he is more comfortable with the program.

I completely agree. I think he suffers from some inexperience, but he has an elegance and effortlessness to his skating that is truly compelling.
From what I've seen, around a year and a half ago (approximately), there was a Japanese newsclip of an interview about his silver at Junior Worlds and they showed footage of him training the Quad Toe. Granted, it was Quarter-cheated and he fell on his attempts, but, at this point, I think it's just about safe to say he has a Quad Toe, maybe not consistent, but he definitely has it.

I'm honestly tempted to bet that he might surpass either Yan or Farris if he starts skating to his potential. The judges will reward him in time. Even if he doesn't surpass them, he will surely close the gap.

Yes, Farris' Free Program has a lot of changes in the form of adding some VERY difficult transitions (Ex. The steps going into the Second Lutz, the lunge into the Flip, etc). I think he will make this program a masterpiece though. I will say that I'm not nearly as big a fan of the Short though...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow! Farris was great! He'll be USA's future! Somehow he made me think about the young Jeremy Abbott. But Farris is much stronger. He has a great potential in developing in the artistic direction as well.