MK gushing quota per thread | Golden Skate

MK gushing quota per thread

E

eltamina

(This is just for fun, to start this poll section going.)

Gushings should be calibrated to the optimal sensitivity, just like Mathman's Geiger counter for Carbon dating. So how much MK gushings per thread is optimally desired here at GS?

S

Show 42

Re: MK gushing quota per thread

Great poll, eltamina, let the "gushing" begin........42

S

sk8ing lady2001

Yes, I agree also. :)

J

Joesitz

As you all know I am an MK card carrying fan but all that saccharin does get to me after a while.

Try to remember Golden Skate is not a Fan of a Skater Forum. It is a Forum of Personal Views on Figure Skating.

Joesitz

S

Show 42

Joe, I thought that was one of the reasons the polls were sent to a separate section. Do you mean we can't have polls about individual skaters? 42

E

eltamina

I am starting this thread for fun, so please do not take me too seriously.

I must apologize to Mathman, about choice #2. Mathman does not gush about Michelle; everything he said about Michelle is thoughtful, appropriately sincere and true. :) I definitely learn a lot from reading his view of Michelle's skating. Take the following example. Mathman said, "To me, a Lori Nichol/Michelle Kwan program (Go back, Michelle!) Is like a mature Haydn quartet (yes, I finished reading my Haydn book ) That is, each motif is introduced like a promise, then developed to its internal climax. Yet instead of merely fulfilling the promise, there is a seamless segue into an even greater theme." WOW, Mathman, how articulately put. :) In addition, I am inspired, now I have to spend $ to buy that Haydn book and cds of Haydn quartets. That will be such a nice treat. Thanks Mathman.

Joe said ,"all that saccharin does get to me after a while"

Well Joe, since I do not use saccharin or any artificial sweeteners, for me even using it once will get to me. Saccharin had been around since the late 1890s, some Johns Hopkins guy discovered that in a chemistry lab !!!!. Surely, you are not comparing the sincere enthusiasm from Kwan fans to artificial sweeteners are you.

It is interesting to see the sampling and poll so far, 3 out of 17 votes, i.e. 18 % for us to check with the gush meter, so I wonder if I may run some samples by the meter and see whether the samples will be accepted or spit out. Thanks. :) (Again, don't take this seriously)

I love natural sweeteners, so let's try a few in the sweet theme.

What if I say?

1. AP's skating is so engaging, and brilliant that watching her skate is like enjoying a homemade don nut top with light powder SUGAR. BTW, she has a gorgeous don nut spin.

2. When I watch Cohen skates across the ice, I long for molasses.

3. Michelle's TRV is molded together by themes, moods, artistic gestures and preoccupations in a manner that few skaters, (or maybe no other contemporary skaters of her generation) ever achieved, just like a Mahler symphony.

So which one(s) of the above will the meter accept or reject?

M

mathman444

4. "That's certainly part of what moves us in art, music, poetry, nature,
and even in a beautiful face or body, the coming together of many
disparate elements in a way that seems inevitable, effortless,
intensely pleasing, beyond our expectations."

--Mathman about a Lori Nichol short program?

No, actually, it's science writer (and musician) Kitty Ferguson about Einstein's Theory of Relativity, in The Fire in the Equations.

5. "How can such joy as this want words to speake?" (poem by Giles Fletcher which inspired composer William Alwyn when he was working on Lyra Angelica).

Well, since this is a poll I'll vote for #3 as the gush-o-meter buster.

Mathman

E

eltamina

Freeze this minute

WOW, a perfect bell shape curve.

Right now, there are 28 votes

3 each for choices #1 no MK gushing allowed , and #5 ask Joe's gush meter

5 each for #2 Mathman gushed enough for GS, and #4 when a detractor starting dissing Michelle, it is fair for Kwaniacs to add 10 X gushings to balance that out

#3 choice has 12 votes, Kwaniacs should just gush away.

I wish I am a junior high teacher introducing all the future Einsteins to the concept of statistics. :rollin:

M

mathman444

Re: Freeze this minute

And my students complain when I give out 3 A's, 5 B's, 12 C's, 5 D's and 3 F's. "Hey, I thought you said you would grade on the curve?" "That IS the curve, guys."

Mathman

S

Show 42

.....Ugh, mathman, I never grade on a curve. Strictly percentages all the way for my students..........;) 42

J

Joesitz

Hey guys - It's ok to gush whomever but no biting the posters.

Joe

M

mathman444

Show 42 -- He's not talking about us, is he? :p

Mathman

S

Show 42

I think he is, mathman........darn, that takes all the fun out of it............;) 42

R

rgirl181

Gush away, Kwaniacs. Just don't bash other skaters or posters. Criticisim of other skaters, fine, such as, "I don't find Irina's line at all pleasing to watch. When she's on, her jumps and spins are powerful, but everything in between doesn't do it for me" vs. "Irina has no idea of what artistry is whatsoever! I can't stand to watch her skate!" Maybe that's the way you really feel, but in a public forum, I think some decorum is helpful, unless it's one of those, "Say Whatever Your Want--Your get a Freebie" thread.

And don't attack other posters for gushing about thier favorites.

R

RealtorGal

I never understood grading on a curve. If everyone studies hard and knows the material, why should their performance be dependent on what others in the class do? Why should someone get a "C" just because he/she happened to get the same number correct as 10 others in class? Totally unfair.

In my classes, students had to show up regularly, sing their songs, write their reports and that was good enough for an "A". (You'd be surprised how many people over the years could NOT manage even that simple task!)

As for the GUSHING topic, I totally agree with my twin. You go, girl! :D

E

emiC

I will vote for the 1:10 (detract : gush) rule for ALL skaters. There are vocal Michelle detractors here at GS too. :)