Ashley or Gracie? | Golden Skate

Ashley or Gracie?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Who is Nationals 2013 champion? Got goosies watching Gold's Skate Detroit SP. Will Ashley defend her title? These two seem podium locks. Who will be bronze this year? Hard to guess so far ahead with no GP evidence. I'm guessing Agness if she goes clean.

Oh boy, two great ladies who will challege in 2013 WC! Who do you guess our next ladies champ is and why?:popcorn:

Cherryy

On the Ice
If Gracie can mature a bit before nationals and make her style less juniorish I would say she'll be more likely to win. Simply because she has better jumps. But on the other hand if this does not happen and Ashley gets her triple-triple back, than she's a favourite. True, nationals are going to be exciting and hard to predict. It'll be easier after GP. But as for the bronze medal, I would say Caroline Zhang. She made such a HUGE improvement! And Agnes didn't cope well with stress at 4cc, whereas Caroline did. She's keeping her sp from past season (which is one of my favourites :love:) and I have a feeling her Nessun Dorma is going to be great! She has the jumps right now, her artistry will be back so I would say she's going to be the bronze medalist.

But as for US future world champion - I have no idea. US ladies will face so many great figure skaters next year - Caroline, Akiko, Yuna, Mao, Elizaveta and Adelina (probably). Right now I can only guess who's going to be on the podium. What are your predictions? :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I sure as hell hope Gracie Gold is not National Champion. She isn't ready for it at all; her movement to music is entirely Junior level still.

If Gracie can mature a bit before nationals and make her style less juniorish I would say she'll be more likely to win. Simply because she has better jumps. But on the other hand if this does not happen and Ashley gets her triple-triple back, than she's a favourite. True, nationals are going to be exciting and hard to predict. It'll be easier after GP. But as for the bronze medal, I would say Caroline Zhang. She made such a HUGE improvement! And Agnes didn't cope well with stress at 4cc, whereas Caroline did. She's keeping her sp from past season (which is one of my favourites :love:) and I have a feeling her Nessun Dorma is going to be great! She has the jumps right now, her artistry will be back so I would say she's going to be the bronze medalist.

But as for US future world champion - I have no idea. US ladies will face so many great figure skaters next year - Caroline, Akiko, Yuna, Mao, Elizaveta and Adelina (probably). Right now I can only guess who's going to be on the podium. What are your predictions? :)

Welcome, Cherryy!

I pretty much agree with you, including your point about Caroline Zhang. She's improved greatly, and for quite some years she has exhibited coolness under pressure. (For a long time before her faulty jump technique betrayed her, she had the best international record of the young skaters...and now she's improved her jumps.)

In international matters, like you, I don't expect this to be America's year. Look at the firepower out there! Older champions coming back, continuing champions remaining, new youngsters from Russia gaining strength. It's crowded at the top. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled, but I don't expect an American to win, place, or show this season.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Watching Ashley Wagner is millions time better watching Gracie Gold. As a fan, figure skating lover I feel like this. May the judges feel the same? But of course, it was debut year of Gracie last season, she still can improve so much. All she needs is more experience. She already has techincal content which I admire. But she is not in the level of champion so far.

I hope Alissa to recover fully and we'll see Ashley-Alissa duel in the US nationals. I wanna see Alissa happy again. At least satisfied from what she skates. Gold will compete with Zhang for the bronze. Both has good sides. Gold is a new face, so young and talented; Zhang has more experience and she had a good improvement last season.

Now I noticed, US nationals isn't a weak field, too. There are still other girls: Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Flatt... Hope this time they earn 3 places for next worlds and also olympic games.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think Ashley is going to be one of the women with the best shot to win Worlds this year along with Akiko, Yu-Na, Miki and Carolina!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Watching Ashley Wagner is millions time better watching Gracie Gold. As a fan, figure skating lover I feel like this. May the judges feel the same? .

It doesn't seem to me that the judges have a problem with Gracie and her recent medal haul would seem to back that up.

Let's see how she does this season - and how the judges respond to her skating.

Watching some of the Ladies JGP this season I am seeing very juniorish skating - nothing at all like Gracie.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Just curious, why does everyone thing that Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner will be at the top? Ashley was really great at the last worlds; I think I would give her the medal instead of Akkiko. But she ended up fourth. That's a great achievement, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Mirai Nagasu ended up fourth in Olympics, everyone thought that she is the next worlds champion and then from then on it didn't work for her... I am not trying to suggest that the same will happen to Ashley, but I think new season and everyone starts from scratch. At least in US ladies, where ranking seem to be changing from year to year.

And about Gracie Gold - I am not denying her successful last season, but Caroline Zhang has similar successful season (or several seasons) a few years ago...

Maybe this year we will see something unexpected. Maybe Alissa will have a very successful return, and Caroline may have fixed all her jumping flaws and Mirai will manage her problems and skate clean...or maybe anyone else unexpectedly steps up and delivers...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just curious, why does everyone thing that Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner will be at the top? Ashley was really great at the last worlds; I think I would give her the medal instead of Akkiko. But she ended up fourth. That's a great achievement, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Mirai Nagasu ended up fourth in Olympics, everyone thought that she is the next worlds champion and then from then on it didn't work for her... I am not trying to suggest that the same will happen to Ashley, but I think new season and everyone starts from scratch. At least in US ladies, where ranking seem to be changing from year to year.

And about Gracie Gold - I am not denying her successful last season, but Caroline Zhang has similar successful season (or several seasons) a few years ago...

Maybe this year we will see something unexpected. Maybe Alissa will have a very successful return, and Caroline may have fixed all her jumping flaws and Mirai will manage her problems and skate clean...or maybe anyone else unexpectedly steps up and delivers...

That sounds like a fair appraisal to me.

When was the last time a US Lady defended her Natl title?

All the way back to Michelle .........

If Ashley has made nice strides under John Nicks it is still a rare occurrence when she skates two clean programs at the same event.
Maybe this will be the year she steps up and shows more consistent championship level skating.

If Gracie skates clean she is already on the US podium.

But as you pointed out we could say the same for several of them....

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
If Ashley ups her technical level a bit and keeps her great ability to perform I am sure she will win US nationals. She seems determined to work hard until Sochi and beeing satisfied with Mr Nicks, her choreographer, training conditions etc. I am on her side :clap:

I haven't seen much of Gracie Gold, so I can't say much about her skating. I understand she is yet another junior with lots of expectations on her shoulders. I remember Rachael, Mirai and Caroline before worlds 2008 and the outcries for them not being allowed to go to worlds. In the autumn I saw them at Grand Prix competitions and thought like "what" :confused: I don't think any of them reached the final. And still none of them has medaled at worlds. I'd like it a lot if Mirai and Caroline come back and succeed. It would show that you don't have to achieve everything in your early teens even if you are a good junior skater. I think the step into being a sucesful senior skater is harder now than before.

Is Rachael focusing on school, but also wants to skate at nationals, not aiming at international competitions?

Good for Alissa to skate this season without high expectations from others than herself. Her goal is Sochi I suppose. She's a fighter.

I don't see any US lady as a world champion this season. Maybe not even on the podium. They can win three spots for US at the olympics though :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
If Ashley ups her technical level a bit and keeps her great ability to perform I am sure she will win US nationals. She seems determined to work hard until Sochi and beeing satisfied with Mr Nicks, her choreographer, training conditions etc. I am on her side :clap:

I haven't seen much of Gracie Gold, so I can't say much about her skating. I understand she is yet another junior with lots of expectations on her shoulders. I remember Rachael, Mirai and Caroline before worlds 2008 and the outcries for them not being allowed to go to worlds. In the autumn I saw them at Grand Prix competitions and thought like "what" :confused: I don't think any of them reached the final. And still none of them has medaled at worlds. I'd like it a lot if Mirai and Caroline come back and succeed. It would show that you don't have to achieve everything in your early teens even if you are a good junior skater. I think the step into being a sucesful senior skater is harder now than before.

Is Rachael focusing on school, but also wants to skate at nationals, not aiming at international competitions?

Good for Alissa to skate this season without high expectations from others than herself. Her goal is Sochi I suppose. She's a fighter.

I don't see any US lady as a world champion this season. Maybe not even on the podium. They can win three spots for US at the olympics though :)

You summed it up very well.....

Here is Gracie's new SP .....(remember, it is early in the season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAHHpRcsuI

Watching the winner of the first JGP this season I see little in common in the level of maturity Gracie shows here.

Not a problem if iGracie is not up to Kwan-Yuna standards yet - but still a heck of alot more mature looking than the newest Russian baby whose skating makes Tara look like a mature Grand Dame skater :)

But hey, the Russian girl is great but only 13. She looks and skates like a 13 year old.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Let's just remember that the season after the first title win is always difficult on the skater. Ashley has to be able to handle it (I think she can, but let's not jinx it) but more times than not the sophmore slump happens...

icellist

On the Ice
I'm going to reserve my preference of Ashley or Gracie after the GPs. I do hope that Mirai is either first or second at nationals. Based on Mirai and Gracie's summer competitions, I would much rather watch Mirai's captivating programs. Gracie still skates pretty raw IMO and needs to get rid of that illusion spin, but I can't deny that the girl can jump. It might just be me but I really enjoyed Ashley's SP last year over her Black Swan program. I found parts of Black Swan cliche while Pollock was a breath of fresh air. I too have a soft spot for Caroline Zhang and her exciting 3L-3L. I guess the top 5 at nationals will be Agnes, Ashley, Caroline, Gracie and Mirai in any order. Alissa won't be 100% after er injury and Christina will have a slump in her first year of college a la Flatt.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the National title is really up in the air the season for the ladies. I don't think Alissa will be fully back to form by January, so I'd be surprised if she won, but the podium certainly isn't out of the question. Ashley and Gracie both had fantastic 2011-2012 seasons, and we'll have to see how they deal with having more attention, pressure, and expectations placed on them this season while trying to push the envelope technically with 3-3s in SP and FS (for Ashley), and Rippon lutz and two 3-3s in the FS (for Gracie). Mirai and Agnes were hot and cold last season but both seem to have made a lot of improvements and changes in their life and seem to be in a good place now, we will see how they fair this fall, but I definitely wouldn't count either out because Mirai has it all when she hits and Agnes is just a hugely talented jumper who's steadily improving in other areas. Caroline was the comeback kid last year, I don't think she'll win Nationals this season, but who knows, podium is definitely possible, especially with her killer 3lo-3lo and adding the 3s back into her programs. On the same note, Samantha Cesario seemed strong at Liberty, and also reportedly has 3lo-3lo, her jumps are Volchokovan in size, she has said she's aiming to medal at Nationals this season, and if she stays healthy, who knows. Rachael and Christina are both strong skaters and both balancing skating with really rigorous full-time college courseloads (at Standford and Harvard!!) this season which is obviously a tall order, so I'd be shocked if either won, but the podium is not out of the question, Rachael has experience on her side and knows how to compete and Christina is a great jumper and can use her willowy body to her advantage when she's on form.

Those are the main podium contenders I would identify for now, but that could change later on, you never know. Hannah Miller, Vanessa Lam, Yasmin Siraj, Leah Keiser, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, etc. could all start skating really well and mix things up, especially because the last 3 girls in that list come armed with difficult 3-3s which could give them an edge. I'd definitely be surprised if any of them won, but medaling is an entirely different story and there's more room for a skater with no/little reputation to sneak onto the podium in 3rd or 4th place IMO. So as of right now, the main contenders for the title I'd say are Courtney, Gracie, Agnes, and Mirai, then medal contenders add in all the other girls I mentioned. But yeah, pretty large and talented field, it should be exciting to watch!

Last edited:

Cherryy

On the Ice
Just curious, why does everyone thing that Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner will be at the top?

They both were good at nationals, worlds and WTT. Ashley also won 4cc. Who can really challenge them? Maybe Caroline, that's true, but Mirai is a bit unpredictable, just like Alissa, Zawadzki seems not to be able to perform under pressure. Flatt and Gao are going to concentrate on school rather than skating. Probably. Apart from Caroline, maybe Mirai. If she could do the same thing this season like Caroline did the past one :D.

hanca

Record Breaker
You summed it up very well.....

Here is Gracie's new SP .....(remember, it is early in the season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAHHpRcsuI

Watching the winner of the first JGP this season I see little in common in the level of maturity Gracie shows here.

Not a problem if iGracie is not up to Kwan-Yuna standards yet - but still a heck of alot more mature looking than the newest Russian baby whose skating makes Tara look like a mature Grand Dame skater :)

But hey, the Russian girl is great but only 13. She looks and skates like a 13 year old.

I would like to point out that you are comparing a fresh junior (junior at her debut) with someone who is going to compete as a senior! Of course Radionova looks like 13 years old, because she is 13 years old. That is the reason why she skate at junior grand prix (and why she is allowed to skate there only from this season). Whereas Gold is going to be competing at seniors. And as you mentioned the 'Russian babies', I would like to point out that one of them beat Gracie at Junior worlds 2012 and another beat Gracie at World team trophy...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My gosh, I admit she is a great 13 year old skater but posters who say Gracie is still a junior need to watch a little closer.

Juniorish may not be the right word, because she is better than a lot of seniors in aspects of her skating some of us perceive as weak. I think she may come across that way because her jumps are so much better than anything else she does.

I think Ashley will repeat this year as National champ, primarily because she jumps well enough to keep her scores close to Gracie, and will do far better on PCS.

christinaskater

Medalist
Ashley has some of the best jumps in the biz. Her skating is one of the best and her artistry has improved vastly.

I reckon she will be a World Champion soon if she keeps making a name for herself with her consistency and the overall level of her skating.

With the return of Ando, Kim and who knows a renewed fire in Asada it's going to be one heck of a year.

I am also excited for Kostner and Suzuki. I do hope Akiko is going to kill it this season.

Tuktamysheva will certainly be in the mix together with Gracie.

Caroline is looking ferosh lately, so it's going to be exciting.