Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Too bad I don't take orders. Nobody knows how severe Yuzuru's asthma is and many skaters have asthma. I applauded him for his performance and improvements in both his skating and his stamina. I agreed it was a bit of "dramatics" what he did at the end of the program. What I disagree with is that "dramatics" is always bad and talking about it is disparaging. Many skaters give entertaining dramatics and are adored for their personalities, which of course are subject to personal tastes. Lighten up, if I too may give a little advice.
Oh, please. Your constant criticism of Hanyu (and Takahashi), in this thread and elsewhere, is annoying and over the top; that you grudgingly throw in some positives doesn't change the tone of your comments. Is it possible that you have identified a threat to your favorite?

I realize you fancy yourself a medical authority, an expert in the field of psychology, and a guru of sorts, but really - you are just another forum poster, and people can and will disagree with you. If you can't handle engaging in a debate that does not end with "oh guru SF, you're so smart and always right", I would suggest sticking to the fanfest section.

On a happier note, I would like to applaud and congratulate Yuzuru Hanyu for a strong LP skate and for landing a 4S, Ricky Dornbush for an excellent performance, Johnny Weir for walking his talk, Julia Lipnitskaia for an awesome start to her senior career, Mirai Nagasu and Kiira Korpi for their successful season debuts and Bobrova/Soloviev for getting a nice international win.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can't wait until there are links to the ladies FS. i'm really happy for Julia. I enjoy her skating and her progress. Interested to see both Kiira and Mirai. One good think I will say about Mirai's short (well two) is that

1) At least she is practicing triple-triple combinations to the point where she thinks she may be able to land them in competition again. This is a good step forward.
2) After she fell she didn't give up.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks Mao88 for all information and links, especially to the men's. I'll catch up with them as soon as possible.

As for Hanyu :clap: The dramatical finish reminds me of cross country skiers after their races. That's sport! Give it your all :laugh: As a fact lots of skiers have asthma(often from training in cold weather) and there are medications they are allowed to use.

Anyway, I enjoy Hanyu's skating so much. He is still young and I don't mind if he has ups and downs. Only he and his closest people know what problems he has to work on. One day he will be on top of the podium. Looking forward to following his carrier :yay:

Watching the yle TV stream now. Sorry for Kiira missing so many jumps. I thought she had found a new confidence.

Lipnitskaya next, I know she won, congrats to her :clap:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lipnitskaya starts the second international season so strong, she is still very young but has this cold ice skating attitude which I really love. Maybe people want her to be more artistic and have more connection, but for her age I admire she switches on and just goes for it. She has been skating clean or almost clean back to back. What people think about her jump technique? She lands her jumps but I m really not expert so I dont know if she has a good base except for the flutz.

Is Mirai without a coach?

emdee

Final Flight
Now, now Buttercup....Skatefiguring is called guru affectionately by his friends so there is no need to gibe at him for it. Do not take things so seriously.

I do love Hanyu's skating and I can see his improvement from last year. Hope that he gets better stamina - he certainly has the goods to be on top. Just a bit of maturity and experience is what he needs.

Before you discount what I say let me give you my current favourites
Patrick followed by Kozuka, Hanyu and then Fernandes.

I loved Dai when he was younger but somehow find him too over the top these days these days.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Julia is always perfect, and that 3Lz+3T impressed me a lot! But the program is really boring, both the music and the choreography repetitive, and, even if her skating looks a bit more mature than last year, she's always focusing on the jumps. you can easily see that, from the beginning till the end of the music, her thoughts are just "I have to land my jumps, I have to do my spins!", but she has still a lot of years to improve this aspect of her presentation.
I'm happy Mirai landed a clean 2A+3T, I think it's the first time since 4CC in 2011, happy for her, she's on the right path, especially noting that her PCS is a lot higher than what she usually receives! :clap:
I would like to watch Kiira's video, because it looks like she still has probelms... But I think they are mental problems, not technical ones.

treeloving

Medalist
Glad for Yuzuru, but I don't like this LP at all may be because his program last year is too good! (but wow such a improvement on skating skills and the program is more complex). May be with time the program will be better!

On other hand, love the sp!

Congrat to Julia too! This will be her season!

BTW, it so funny to see fan of certain skater nitpick him all the time! :p

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Now, now Buttercup....Skatefiguring is called guru affectionately by his friends so there is no need to gibe at him for it. Do not take things so seriously.

I do love Hanyu's skating and I can see his improvement from last year. Hope that he gets better stamina - he certainly has the goods to be on top. Just a bit of maturity and experience is what he needs.

Before you discount what I say let me give you my current favourites
Patrick followed by Kozuka, Hanyu and then Fernandes.

I loved Dai when he was younger but somehow find him too over the top these days these days.
Well, you know what they say - don't believe your own hype ;) I have no issue with Chan fans in general and I'm even friends with some :eek:... I just don't see any need to denigrate other skaters, their abilities and personalities just to make one's favorite appear better.

I like Dai when he has good programs. He does not have good programs this year. Neither, for that matter, does Hanyu. I have yet to see Kozuka and Oda's programs, I need to get around to that, but so far I'm generally underwhelmed by this years' programs. Save us, Ingo!

FTnoona

Final Flight
Nobody knows how severe Yuzuru's asthma is and many skaters have asthma.
Since nobody knows the severity of his asthma, isn't it better to give him the benefit of the doubt that asthma might play a big role in his stamina issues? I know it's assumptions either way you look at it. Asthma doesn't always affect everyone similarly so to say b/c skater A can do it, skater B should be able to too sounds a bit callous to the problem.

Hanyu might have completed his whole program, but he was skating through most of the music. Maybe I just don't like the music...Then again it's his first competition of the season and it's good to have something to work towards. It looked like he was either behind the music or forgot to put in the layback ina bauer before the flip.

I'm happy that Mirai is finally going for the 3T combos in her programs with the 3T-3T in the short and the 2A-3T in the long so early in the season, but I'm wondering if it is a little too late. I wish she was practicing these combos in early seasons too. Poor girl, it seems like her underrotation problems just won't ever go away :cry:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Since nobody knows the severity of his asthma, isn't it better to give him the benefit of the doubt that asthma might play a big role in his stamina issues? I know it's assumptions either way you look at it. Asthma doesn't always affect everyone similarly so to say b/c skater A can do it, skater B should be able to too sounds a bit callous to the problem.

Hanyu might have completed his whole program, but he was skating through most of the music. Maybe I just don't like the music...Then again it's his first competition of the season and it's good to have something to work towards. It looked like he was either behind the music or forgot to put in the layback ina bauer before the flip.

I'm happy that Mirai is finally going for the 3T combos in her programs with the 3T-3T in the short and the 2A-3T in the long so early in the season, but I'm wondering if it is a little too late. I wish she was practicing these combos in early seasons too. Poor girl, it seems like her underrotation problems just won't ever go away :cry:

Mirai definitely did practice those combos in early seasons and landed both of them in competition as recently as the 2010-2011 season (so 2 years ago now) unless I'm mistaken... I don't believe she tried the 3T-3T in competition last year, though (again unless I'm mistaken( she landed the 2A-3T last year in competitions as well. She also landed both combos in the Olympic year. My memory is fuzzy before that. For whatever reason she felt unable to do them last year, but she's only 18- I don't think I'd say for sure yet that this is too little too late.

I will admit the UR calls, if they continue, are a big problem.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I'm not sure too many people could have tacked on another rotated 3T after that tilted first 3T that Mirai produced, which caused her to land with very little speed for the second jump. If she gets good flow, I think she can definitely do the second 3T, her 2A-3Ts this season thus far have been very good.

She actually never did a successful 2A-3T last season, it was always 2A-2T except all the way back in Glacier Falls 2011 where she got a downgrade anyways.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There is no need for me to respond to personal attacks but I just want to clear up that Guru SF is a joke persona on the Patrick fan thread to lead his nervous fans to hum Ohmmmmm as a means to relax and calm down at an anxious time. There is no implied superiority but a continuing fun with jokes of bestowing all kinds of titles among the posters. It's a light hearted thread where Patrick himself is made fun of.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Mirai definitely did practice those combos in early seasons and landed both of them in competition as recently as the 2010-2011 season (so 2 years ago now) unless I'm mistaken... I don't believe she tried the 3T-3T in competition last year, though (again unless I'm mistaken( she landed the 2A-3T last year in competitions as well. She also landed both combos in the Olympic year. My memory is fuzzy before that. For whatever reason she felt unable to do them last year, but she's only 18- I don't think I'd say for sure yet that this is too little too late.

I will admit the UR calls, if they continue, are a big problem.

Sorry by practicing I meant putting them in competition to get the feel and confidence for them. I know she's done triple triple when she was younger, but I mean she hasn't really been doing them consistently like every competition. It seems like she doesn't want to take the risk. She's 19 and the younger girls are a coming. I wanna see her at worlds at least one more time :(

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Considering it´s early in the season, the medalists in men´s freeskate were really awesome. It was wonderful to be able to watch the skating of these guys live!!! I was also impressed by Misha Ge, what a funny guy he is!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sorry by practicing I meant putting them in competition to get the feel and confidence for them. I know she's done triple triple when she was younger, but I mean she hasn't really been doing them consistently like every competition. It seems like she doesn't want to take the risk. She's 19 and the younger girls are a coming. I wanna see her at worlds at least one more time :(
I agree... I really hope this will be a bounce-back season for her! :popcorn:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Kiira never looked better, she skated beautifully, so happy for her, and what a vision. She is such a movie star beauty. First program of hers I loved, just oerfect for her.