Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 2012 Oct 5 - Oct 7

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mirai's LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6h8JdqSDhw&list=UUOG1vkwKpqV10PwSdalZgjw&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Her jumps are looking quite high, that lutz (even with the edge) was really good. All that extra time working out is showing too, she looks in great shape.

Miria looks much more mature to me this year, in big contrast to last year when she was obviously trying to look more mature but to me never really sold it. Her jumps look better than last year by a LOT and what I like best is that after her mistakes in the short and long she did not become derailed or give up.

Julia looks gorgeous. I really enjoy watching her skate and that costume is to die for.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Miria looks much more mature to me this year, in big contrast to last year when she was obviously trying to look more mature but to me never really sold it. Her jumps look better than last year by a LOT and what I like best is that after her mistakes in the short and long she did not become derailed or give up.

Julia looks gorgeous. I really enjoy watching her skate and that costume is to die for.

indeed Mirai looks very much improved and much better for this season, and I'm glad she is attempting 3-3 jumps again.
I have a feeling Ashley will have tough competition at Nationals ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Wow, what happened?

Aww, I wanted Johnny W. to medal.

Well, at least he became 4th, although his total score was over 33 points from the bronze medal. In the freeskate his TES 56,65 was on the 9th place (behind Schultheiss).

burntBREAD

Medalist
Pretty much what DianaSelene said. They're not exceptionally high by any means, but they're certainly good enough.

Her axel technique is poor however (they ironically resemble Tara Lipinski).

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Pretty much what DianaSelene said. They're not exceptionally high by any means, but they're certainly good enough.

Her axel technique is poor however (they ironically resemble Tara Lipinski).

Yes this is my main concern with her going forward if she struggles with puberty- her jump technique is very good, but her axel technique is going to give her real trouble if she does come to struggle- she does not step up into it like you should.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Plus I would not expect her to have huge jumps. Obviously the girl is short. She would need to grow a few more inches probably to have really big, powerful jumps. Some shorter people can achieve this but not everyone.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I can remember the nasty criticism Charlie White and Alex Shibutani received at 4CC because of their struggles to breathe at altitude. Turned out both men have asthma too.

Does Alex Shibutani have asthma?? I was not aware of that.
A viral illness caused his difficulties at Four Continents in Colorado Springs, according to what Maia and he said at the time.
That is a lot different than having chronic asthma (unless you're saying that on top of the acute virus, he was suffering from chronic asthma too??).

Nan Song had barely recovered from a serious illness before his 2011 4CC skate at high altitude. He staggered off the ice with purple lips and various senses shut down, but he held off the actual collapse and was hospitalized after.

I think most skaters suffered worse oxygen deprivation at 2011 4CC. ...

SkateFiguring, 2011 Four Continents was in Taipei.
Did you mean to refer to the effects of altitude at 2012 Four Continents in Colorado Springs?

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS

1. Julia LIPNITSKAYA (RUS) - 188.23
2. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 181.16
3. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 163.09
4. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 153.39
5. Isabelle OLSSON (SWE) - 151.67
6. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 143.04
7. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 126.80
8. Beata PAPP (FIN) - 118.95
9. Fleur MAXWELL (LUX) - 112.57
10. Alisa MIKONSAARI (FIN) - 112.04
11. Jasmine COSTA (EST) - 109.46

Final Warm-Up Group - Practice

Medal Ceremony

FREE DANCE - VIDEOS SO FAR

1. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 159.71
2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 158.74
3. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 150.30
4. Charlene GUIGNARD & Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 141.06
5. Irina SHTORK & Taavi RAND (EST) - 129.41
6. Ramona ELSENER & Florian ROOST (SUI) - 113.03
7. Justyna PLUTOWSKA & Peter GERBER (POL) - 110.08
8. Henna LINDHOLM & Ossi KANERVO (FIN) - 101.73
9. Olesia KARMI & Max LINDHOLM (FIN) - 95.12
10. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 94.13
11. Lesia VOLODENKOVA & Vitaly VAKUNOV (BLR) - 86.93

Last edited:

icellist

On the Ice
The judging in the ladies competition is a joke to me. How does Kiira have a Lvl4 step sequence and Mirai have a Lvl2 step sequence. IMO I thought all top 3 ladies had a Lvl3 step sequence. Also, the PCS scoring is a farce. I agree that Mirai should've had lower PCS in SP because she was behind or ahead of the music for most of her program. Kiira's PCS in the FS is a blasphemy. How does her FS with mistakes on all but 2 jumps still trump Mirai's 1 fall performance. Both of Julia's programs were transitionless except for her self-indulging leg lifts and ugly ina bauers. Julia should have had slightly higher PCS than Mirai in the SP. Mirai should've had the better PCS in the FS because she actually has the skating skill, choreography and transitions despite the one fall. The PCS scoring has to be realistic.

IleK

On the Ice
Hello, everyone! This is the third time I try to post on this forum and I hope I'll be more lucky than before. I was banned everytime because my post included a link. I understand there is a rule for the first post but I dont understand what happened the second time when I received the same message like before, that I was banned because this is my first post and it has a link in it. Well, it was my second.
Last night I wrote this and posted together with a link with Kiira's LP which I see it was posted in the meantime.

I' ve always been a fan of Kiira, but this year I like her more than ever. I think figure skating neads more maturity to be more than just a sport. I remember Kiira when she was 17, a good jumper, she had a very secure lutz (I am glad she put it back in her long programe, it was good enough for the first competition) but she was criticized for the lack of artistry even though she had the same shiny smile all over her face while performing. This is one thing I love about her. Mirai also used to have a cute smile back in 2010 but now she barely smiled at the end of her LP. So did Julia. And now, after 7 years Kiira became the artist that maybe nobody expected. In fact she is at least for the last 3 years. She still has very good jumping technique but iconstance is her trouble. She has one of the best 2 axel and 3loop, very high and beautiful landed.
I think it is not fair and nor realistic to make a comparison between the three girls, at least between Kiira and Julia. There are 10 years of experience that separetes them and they shouldnt even compete against each other. As much as I like the little russian girls, I am glad that the rules have changed and that from now on we wont see little girls competing in GP, making use of their imature tiny bodies to jump and spin because that is not talent,it is just a moment in time, the next year it will not be the same. It happenned to all of them, like it happens now to Liza T., like it happened last year to Adelina and some years ago to Caroline Z and Mirai. Adults should compete against adults and children against children, in all competition not only the big ones, otherwise the skaters will receive a wrong message about their skating.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Adults should compete against adults and children against children, in all competition not only the big ones, otherwise the skaters will receive a wrong message about their skating.
:agree:

Welcome, IleK. Thanks for persisting! :)

I am sorry it took three tries for your post to appear. The "no link in first post rule" is an automatic anti-spam feature. After you make one post that does not contain a link, you are good to go.

Post often, post long! :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hello, everyone! This is the third time I try to post on this forum and I hope I'll be more lucky than before. I was banned everytime because my post included a link. I understand there is a rule for the first post but I dont understand what happened the second time when I received the same message like before, that I was banned because this is my first post and it has a link in it. Well, it was my second.
Last night I wrote this and posted together with a link with Kiira's LP which I see it was posted in the meantime.

because until THIS post you didn't have a first post in the eyes of the board (not the people running it, the board program itself). Once you get a post count, which you do now, you can post a link. :) Sorry for the frustration, but if this wasn't in place we'd have so much spam to deal with it'd choke the boards!